IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’ll do home games, you can do away games ???

I’ll likely fall into that category.  Can’t see me risking Joe for some time yet.

The daft thing is though Dave that you & Joe, being in a disabled area, can probably social distance better than most of the stadium.  Any idea what the take-up for disabled areas is as a matter of interest? Over-subscribed or spare capacity?

Even though you understandably probably won`t want to risk it (as no doubt will many others in those areas with health problems) I could see you being able to go to every game if you wanted!

34 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

It would require some work but I'd say probably on a ballot where you can request to be in the next seat available to certain people ie family/friends so you can at least still talk to them. I say ballot because out of 23 games some fans may normally only attend 17 ish and to have a 1,3,5 / 2,4,6  game policy could mean all games you couldn't attend falling in your set and being hard done by. The trick with the ballot would be keeping track of how many games people attend so after 5 games or so the club start saying the people who have attended 0, 1 or 2 games take priority for games 6/7/8 and work on a similar process to try and ensure all the ST holders get the chance to watch a similar amount of games in the season. As said would require work to do but its possible.

Initially I think you take the first five games say and ask ST holders if they want to go to each - I would probably say yes to Saturdays but no for midweek games for instance- and then see how the numbers stack up. I believe that, with the number of ST holders who would likely say they don`t feel comfortable going for health reasons, the number that won`t go if they have to wear a mask, the number of junior tickets sold that are rarely used, the number that can`t go due to work and other reasons, the ones that don`t want to sit in another stand and the number that don`t fancy it due to the lack of the social side it won`t be much over 8k anyway. It also depends on the game of course - many more will want to go to Forest than will Rotherham.

One proviso will have to be though is that if you say you`re going and then don`t there needs to be some sort of `penalty` otherwise a fair few may say yes to all and then only turn up to two or three depriving others of their chance to see a game.

23 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

The daft thing is though Dave that you & Joe, being in a disabled area, can probably social distance better than most of the stadium.  Any idea what the take-up for disabled areas is as a matter of interest? Over-subscribed or spare capacity?

Even though you understandably probably won`t want to risk it (as no doubt will many others in those areas with health problems) I could see you being able to go to every game if you wanted!

Good point.  We have our own toilets too.

i believe it is fully subscribed, but it’s never full.

• Thanks 1

Been a season ticket holder for 10 years and bought next season’s before any sign of lockdown. Personally I love the whole match day experience more than the football on offer the last couple of years, 

if the normal match day experience is taken away with social distancing and no singing due to masks then I’m hoping the club offer refunds because I’m not interested in going.

i honestly think more people think the same so this will help make room for those who want to attend.

once Covid is under control and football is back to normal then I’ll be back but maybe not as a season ticket holder anymore because I think it was more habit than anything. 
i’ll probably pick and choose games and attend more away days.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Super said:

Considering you are outdoors i dont think you would need a mask anyway would you?

Pretty sure I remembered reading that masks would still be a requirement, doing everything possible to ensure safety etc shouting/chanting also discouraged because of it propelling droplets further, could partly be why masks would be required very easy to forget and react naturally without one on.

Edited by Lrrr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, man in the middle said:

Been a season ticket holder for 10 years and bought next season’s before any sign of lockdown. Personally I love the whole match day experience more than the football on offer the last couple of years, 

if the normal match day experience is taken away with social distancing and no singing due to masks then I’m hoping the club offer refunds because I’m not interested in going.

i honestly think more people think the same so this will help make room for those who want to attend.

once Covid is under control and football is back to normal then I’ll be back but maybe not as a season ticket holder anymore because I think it was more habit than anything. 
i’ll probably pick and choose games and attend more away days.

I’m in the same position and feel the same way. I’m not going back to pubs yet - not because of any particular concern about Covid 19 but because with the current restrictions it wouldn’t be the same experience. I feel the same about the football: I’ve had more entertainment from the banter with those around me than the football in recent times and wouldn’t be interested in watching games effectively on my own.

I suspect there will be plenty of us who, for various reasons, would take the option of giving up our SC for a full refund (or giving it up for the first 6-10 games, say, until restrictions ease, with a pro-rata refund). I'd prefer not to give up my right to renew for the following season if I took such an option, but would take that risk if i had to. I really don’t want the hassle of making a decision game by game (as it will be the same decision until we’re pretty much back to normal) and I suspect the Club couldn’t cope with the administration of that.

I’m not sure what the legal position is: arguably, I’ve bought a ticket that entitles me to attend every league game, and as soon as it’s clear that won’t be possible the Club will have failed to satisfy its side of the contract and I should be entitled to a full refund. It was a bit different this season as I’d already had the option of attending 18/23 games so a full refund clearly wouldn’t have been appropriate.

Of course the club might encourage me not to claim a refund by telling me I’m not a real supporter, that I’ll lose all my SC privileges, will be named and shamed on social media and will be tasered if I approach the ground. They were too easy on us last time.

• Like 7

With the latest news of 14day lockdown for those returning from Spain from tomorrow, I would say this latest virus scare is far from over; France and Germany S Korea etc have reported more cases than normal and are worried that a second spike is coming.

Football crowds could easily be first in line for a delayed return imo. This virus is still here and a real danger....its far from over.???

Second spike possible, refund issues from March this season still not settled for some of us, like premium parking fees - the club have even stonewalled the FLO, who has asked the same question many times and got no answer - can’t see him continuing in his role, must be a slap In the face To him!
I can’t see our club getting it right with a system fair to the fans unless a solution is imposed by the EFL

Going to Spain? 14day quarantine for those returning from tomorrow;

Spain says second spike iminent, Germany and France are worried and report higher than normal rises as does Hong Kong and India with 100,000 new cases in last 2 days, now at 1.2million and I wont even mention Africa, Brazil or USA ;

Open football grounds hmmmmm dodgey maybe Covid may yet have something to say before that happens.

We all want Covid to go away, drop our guard and it will smash us in the face again, it will be back how soon is up to us.

1 minute ago, glos old boy said:

Spain says second spike iminent, Germany and France are worried and report higher than normal rises as does Hong Kong and India with 100,000 new cases in last 2 days, now at 1.2million and I wont even mention Africa, Brazil or USA ;

Open football grounds hmmmmm dodgey maybe Covid may yet have something to say before that happens.

We all want Covid to go away, drop our guard and it will smash us in the face again, it will be back how soon is up to us.

Somethings got to happen, league 1 and 2 won't be able to afford twice weekly testing of players/staff for a whole season and probably some champ clubs won't be able to afford it either, all non-league won't be tested so does football continue and accept players could well catch it or does everything shut down again knowing clubs will go under? 

3 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Season only ended a few days ago but have any of the players flown out to Spain for hols in that time ? 

If so Two weeks quarantine? 

2 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

Why are people so fussed about going to football when it’s clear the virus is going away. 

We shut it out doesnt mean its gone away, but hey lets open the door and find out shall we.........a mistake imo

Just "freeze" any s/t sold for next year until the following year for those that can afford it. Refunds for others. Everyone next season is pay per game. No one loses their loyalty and the club dont bump up the prices for 21/22 season for those with freeze tickets. Does that make sense?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Somethings got to happen, league 1 and 2 won't be able to afford twice weekly testing of players/staff for a whole season and probably some champ clubs won't be able to afford it either, all non-league won't be tested so does football continue and accept players could well catch it or does everything shut down again knowing clubs will go under? 

3 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

Season only ended a few days ago but have any of the players flown out to Spain for hols in that time ? 

If so Two weeks quarantine? 

18 players tested positive from a football club in Spain I believe, also I think we are easing off on the lockdown too quick and need to keep a lid on it at least until the vacine/inhibiter injections are ready. I wont be going abroad anytime soon or attending any raves/beach parties or football games, until we have some form of defence to fight this evil virus

45 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Let’s cripple the nhs and kill people off so football can survive. 

• Hmmm 1

9 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

Let’s cripple the nhs and kill people off so football can survive. 

Did I say that? But do people realistically see the FA/PL propping under the entire football league/semi pro levels of non-league? The question is at what level do you draw the line for the requirement of testing players?

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

Can understand the twice weekly testing as I believe a Spanish club has had 18 players tested positive, which would shut any club down for weeks and cause chaos if it happened here, imagine if 2 or 3 clubs got infected; although testing only tests at that particular time, (you could pick up covid seconds later and then be positive) hence enchanced testing.

Make no mistake this virus will strike again and harder if we let it, we need to keep a lid on it.

11 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Did I say that? But do people realistically see the FA/PL propping under the entire football league/semi pro levels of non-league? The question is at what level do you draw the line for the requirement of testing players?

Edited by glos old boy

58 minutes ago, marmite said:

Just "freeze" any s/t sold for next year until the following year for those that can afford it. Refunds for others. Everyone next season is pay per game. No one loses their loyalty and the club dont bump up the prices for 21/22 season for those with freeze tickets. Does that make sense?

Think this is the best policy. Refund everyone who has paid upfront and any direct debits already taken. By having pay per game the club can limit the amount of seats sold and increase or decrease numbers game by game if necessary. No need for any ballots. People can make their own minds up whether to go or not. Yes the club will not have the money up front but hard shit, it's fairest and most simplified way.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Can understand the twice weekly testing as I believe a Spanish club has had 18 players tested positive, which would shut any club down for weeks and cause chaos if it happened here, imagine if 2 or 3 clubs got infected; although testing only tests at that particular time, (you could pick up covid seconds later and then be positive) hence enchanced testing. Make no mistake this virus will strike again and harder if we let it, we need to keep a lid on it.

Yes testing players regularly is essential but at what level does it become compulsory? Almost definitely will see some bigger teams go under if they get told they have to stop again without any support

2 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Can understand the twice weekly testing as I believe a Spanish club has had 18 players tested positive, which would shut any club down for weeks and cause chaos if it happened here, imagine if 2 or 3 clubs got infected; although testing only tests at that particular time, (you could pick up covid seconds later and then be positive) hence enchanced testing.

Make no mistake this virus will strike again and harder if we let it, we need to keep a lid on it.

I've been paying less attention to it lately, but I had a quick look earlier. 

It appears on be accelerating globally, sadly.

Appears to be increasing by 1 million per 4 or 5 days over the last few weeks. 

My quick search suggests:

3rd July 2020- 11m cases

8th July 2020- 12m cases

13th July 2020- 13m cases

17th July 2020- 14m cases

22nd July 2020- 15m cases

It's possibly at 16m now but not fully confirmed. One report suggested it hit 16m on Saturday.

WHO say not yet reached peak.

13 hours ago, The Humble Realist said:

Wonder whether clubs will follow same policy re:refunds

Could be as many as 10 to 12 games potentially they need to either offer streaming,  refunds, credits for 

I'd be surprised if that's not one of the factors. Especially if there is a rota ie season ticket group one goes to game 1 and so on.

4 hours ago, dave36 said:

Second spike possible, refund issues from March this season still not settled for some of us, like premium parking fees - the club have even stonewalled the FLO, who has asked the same question many times and got no answer - can’t see him continuing in his role, must be a slap In the face To him!
I can’t see our club getting it right with a system fair to the fans unless a solution is imposed by the EFL

He still appears not to have answered my q either- my two parter- about whether kickoff times will be more conventional next season, given some of the midweek ones this summer!

May not be in his hands to be fair.. 

7 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Yes testing players regularly is essential but at what level does it become compulsory? Almost definitely will see some bigger teams go under if they get told they have to stop again without any support

Many business`s have gone "under" and 1000`s have lost their jobs even with the wide ranging support/loans/furloughing available, sad but not as sad as the tens of thousands of Brits who have already lost their LIVES over this. If some football clubs go under thats sad but they should be testing regularly.

52 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Many business`s have gone "under" and 1000`s have lost their jobs even with the wide ranging support/loans/furloughing available, sad but not as sad as the tens of thousands of Brits who have already lost their LIVES over this. If some football clubs go under thats sad but they should be testing regularly.

The virus is still out there and people need to realise that. Even though the South West has dodged the very worst of it so far (apologies if you have lost a loved one, as every death is very sad for the families and friends), there is still a trickle of positive cases every week in Bristol. We all need to do our bit to stop it spreading rapidly again, which does unfortunate mean simple measures such as proper hand hygiene, social distancing, and wear a mask indoors, especially if you can’t stay a certain distance away from each other. Even back as far as the Spanish flu epidemic a hundred years ago, it was high levels of compliance with the above that made the difference in terms of spread, and where was least affected and where was worst.

The EFL should be underwriting the cost of testing for all clubs, especially as the smaller ones are more dependent on crowd attendance for income, which with the best will in the world, is not going to be anywhere near normal levels for next season. There will also be localised flare ups, as certain groups flout the rules, and that should lead to local measures being taken, as per Leicester, which could again affect clubs either directly by players becoming infected, or no spectators again.

The real worry is what happens this winter, especially as all the other viruses and bacteria that usually cause problems every year, haven’t gone away either. Hopefully the rates of those might be a bit lower, if we follow the rules for how to prevent coronavirus spread, but as for the blusterer-in-chief saying it will “all be over” by Christmas, that also has echoes of just over a hundred years ago, as it’s likely to be just as incorrect.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lrrr said:

No, hence they go bust. Loads of people are losing their jobs, over paid footballers shouldn’t be exempt from it.