IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

Given the discussion that’s gone on really ever since the reform of AG, is now not a perfect time to really press the club on amending seating arrangements at AG and making the matchday experience enjoyable once again?

We were told it wasn’t possible for home fans to be back in the Atyeo as away fans couldn’t be in the home concourse, but as Leeds have proved this season (they split the away end in half, split the concourse and added another entrance) this really is possible.

I miss the Atyeo, the standing at AG is limited to season ticket holders which sells out on the first day of sales and shoved in the corner. For this, the atmosphere suffers.

Can you imagine if we could have the whole Atyeo as a standing end? Stick the away fans up in the gods, let’s make AG a fortress again and a wall of noise.

@JerrySLOcould you please advise who I can write mine and many others concerns to, to be heard?

TIA.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, JollyestOli said:

Given the discussion that’s gone on really ever since the reform of AG, is now not a perfect time to really press the club on amending seating arrangements at AG and making the matchday experience enjoyable once again?

We were told it wasn’t possible for home fans to be back in the Atyeo as away fans couldn’t be in the home concourse, but as Leeds have proved this season (they split the away end in half, split the concourse and added another entrance) this really is possible.

I miss the Atyeo, the standing at AG is limited to season ticket holders which sells out on the first day of sales and shoved in the corner. For this, the atmosphere suffers.

Can you imagine if we could have the whole Atyeo as a standing end? Stick the away fans up in the gods, let’s make AG a fortress again and a wall of noise.

@JerrySLOcould you please advise who I can write mine and many others concerns to, to be heard?

TIA.

Seems to me away fans cannot be "stuck" anywhere else now as it would upset to many ST holders, assume you mean top of the Lansdown above City fans and near The Directors seats.....not going to happen.

If the top half of The South Stand (hate that name) could be made safe standing with sit/stand anywhere you like it would be an improvement as The Corner is far to small........that alas is not going to happen as current ST holders  again would not be happy.

There is not one stand now that has the same name, size or design as when I loved my days " at the footie" now gone and never to return.....progress......but not for me.

The main problem with away fans in the top tier of the Lansdown is access. The only way to get there is through the main concourse at the lower level - ie home and away fans mixing = potential chaos. 

As for “making the matchday experience enjoyable once again” I think it’s fantastic as it is. The new concourse the runs under three stands is great and I haven’t got any urge to stand up. Some people do, some don’t, it’s personal choice but I don’t think any major changes are likely unless / until the Dolman is rebuilt 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JollyestOli said:

@JerrySLO

I think there's a reason why it's not been a problem this season. Can't think what it is though....! 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

What a complete bufoon

Personally , Id like to see you and your 7 family members transferred to a assigned enclosed area / town where you can ignore the harmless CoVid and behave how you wish , with other like minded and selfish tyoes

No NHS facilities - you get on with it , catch it , on your own

Sadly, the attitude expressed is one reason why the Government are delaying, that, plus the fact that they have not yet learnt that there is a massive difference between National League and Premiership.

There is no logical reason why limited attendances could not attend outdoor sporting fixtures, it’s really just a mix of ignorance, prejudice, incompetence and lack of Tory donors in football that are delaying things. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JollyestOli said:

TIA.

I still don't see the Atyeo stand as being of any historical significance as far as the home game experience goes.

The Open End, yes. 

The EastEnd, yes.

Even B Block Dolman to a point.

But with no open end, and Section82 in the South Stand, I think this is as close as people might realistically expect to get to an 'old' configuration.

The only way I could see it changing would be if Section82 were to change ends and take half the Atyeo, but I don't imagine there would be any appetite for that outside the Prem where the gaps in the South Stand that they currently fill could be resold to Season Ticket holders.

With the vastly improved concourse facilities in the main stadium, they too might be thinking 'we get to stand and sing, we can get a pint and go for a half time piss' - 'do we really want to move to a worse view and fewer facilities?'

• Like 1

• Admin
13 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

What a complete bufoon

Personally , Id like to see you and your 7 family members transferred to a assigned enclosed area / town where you can ignore the harmless CoVid and behave how you wish , with other like minded and selfish tyoes

No NHS facilities - you get on with it , catch it , on your own

So you are choosing to ignore the fact that grounds all over the country have measures in place to safely check and seat people in a limited attendance

Perhaps you should stop ignoring facts and get your head out of the sand?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

So you are choosing to ignore the fact that grounds all over the country have measures in place to safely check and seat people in a limited attendance

I think the trouble is how many you are going to let in to each game. A couple of hundred is easy to control and cleaning sanitising isn’t a problem. It is when you get to 30% of Old Trafford 21000 people safely trying to queue 2 metres apart for the loos. How long will those queues be (out the ground) and would everyone follow the rules about hand washing distancing etc. 

Seating isn’t a problem and checking people in isn’t a problem it’s the what you do with people when they are inside that’s the trouble.

• Like 2

As I understand it Mark Kelly and Martin Griffiths originally met with the the 'Atyeo Singers' and they requested the move to the South Stand which the club facilitated. For the Fulham game we opened half the Atyeo and from memory not that many fans took up the option to sit in there to be honest maybe that was due to seat moves not being available.  l chatted with Mark earlier on the subject and you can email him directly mark.kelly@ashtongate.co.uk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, phantom said:

So you are telling me , guaranteeing in fact , that there will be no spread of the virus (Not any) by crowds attending football matches ?

My ‘ head is out the sand ‘ thanks’, I’m also alive to the fact , for example , that fans also have to travel to the area and ground 

How many lives lost to this Virus and how many projected ?

So you , and others,  want to try and bully / force the authorities into a gamble (However small any perceived risk) with peoples lives because people demand their right to see their side live.

Ok then

Sorry , I’m a million miles from your thinking - And IIRC you were having to shield during the first wave.

Im sympathetic with that,  as I am having too also , but I am then even more astounded that you are such a strong advocate of a return now

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 2

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

So you are telling me , guaranteeing in fact , that there will be no spread of the virus (Not any) by crowds attending football matches ?

Sorry , I’m a million miles from your thinking - And IIRC you were having to shield during the first wave.

Yeah, because people will be temperature checked before getting near the ground, and then there will be sufficient spacing within the ground

You are correct, as I have Parkinsons I was in a group advised to self isolate with zero contact.

But equally I have been out and about (and includes being at Ashton Gate for the Norwich game) and witnessed measures in place that now make me confident and happy of measures in place

10 minutes ago, phantom said:

Yeah, because people will be temperature checked before getting near the ground, and then there will be sufficient spacing within the ground

You are correct, as I have Parkinsons I was in a group advised to self isolate with zero contact.

But equally I have been out and about (and includes being at Ashton Gate for the Norwich game) and witnessed measures in place that now make me confident and happy of measures in place

Whilst I’m genuinely pleased you feel assured , and in many ways it’s only right that you can make your individual decision about risk v consequence 

( Id just point out that the Virus has struck in just about every environment including in numerous clubs where strict protocols and testing are taking place - In simple terms , when people circulate the virus spreads)

But

Its not just your own health and life you are risking (To whatever degree) it’s others too 

And there lies the overriding issue for me 

Good luck and sympathies with your condition Phant ,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pongo88 said:

The main problem with away fans in the top tier of the Lansdown is access. The only way to get there is through the main concourse at the lower level - ie home and away fans mixing = potential chaos. 

As for “making the matchday experience enjoyable once again” I think it’s fantastic as it is. The new concourse the runs under three stands is great and I haven’t got any urge to stand up. Some people do, some don’t, it’s personal choice but I don’t think any major changes are likely unless / until the Dolman is rebuilt 

The point is mate, for those that do the option isnt there if you don’t have a season ticket. That’s an issue, it affects the atmosphere. No stand in English football where fans sit down has any sort of atmosphere anymore, that’s just the way it is.

50 minutes ago, JollyestOli said:

The point is mate, for those that do the option isnt there if you don’t have a season ticket. That’s an issue, it affects the atmosphere. No stand in English football where fans sit down has any sort of atmosphere anymore, that’s just the way it is.

That may be correct mate, but it doesn’t address the problems with the current ground configuration. It’s impossible to move the away fans from the Atyeo without redesigning the concourses to allow separate access and segregation and it’s impossible to create more standing without moving hundreds of season ticket holders who don’t want to move. In other words, it’s not going to happen any time in the near future. If there is ever a replacement for the Atyeo or Dolman then it’s easy but that, if it happens, is way into the future 

8 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

How I miss the days gone by,

who use to remember when(mainly cup games)

When you took at chance on which end you entered, to see which way our team was kicking in the first half.

If you called it correct,it was fine,then during the half time break their was a civilised walk to the other end.

This used to be possible when I started watching as a kid in the 90s. I remember my dad taking me to several games in the Benny Division 1 days where we'd walk down the other end of the Williams (I think) to watch the end we were attacking - not that we seemed to spend much time attacking!

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Sorry this is off-topic, did you get official shielding letter or just advisory from somewhere? FIL has parkinsons and had one of those brain implant's put in (which is brilliant btw) he had some kind of flu in January and ended up hospitalised with pneumonia so we consider him high risk but he never received anything from his GP to officially shield. I tried to avoid going to the office for this reason because he came to live with us but HR were having none of it without a formal letter.

• Admin
1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Sorry this is off-topic, did you get official shielding letter or just advisory from somewhere? FIL has parkinsons and had one of those brain implant's put in (which is brilliant btw) he had some kind of flu in January and ended up hospitalised with pneumonia so we consider him high risk but he never received anything from his GP to officially shield. I tried to avoid going to the office for this reason because he came to live with us but HR were having none of it without a formal letter.

Hi @MarcusX I'll PM you

• Thanks 1

I'm on the fence- I like the idea as we all do I am sure about reopening stadia, but I don't know.

I don't think there is enough conclusive, iron-plated evidence from here and round the world to justify right now- especially when limitations in other areas.

@phantom mentions France I think. It's interesting that Germany which was one of the best placed to reopen, or have them reopened when cases were at a certain level shut them- they've faired better than us in the Pandemic thusfar. I think Italy reversed limited numbers in ground to go behind closed doors again- Holland, the Mayor of either Amsterdam or Rotterdam- so Ajax or Feyenoord- had some disquiet even back in early September saying if fans 

Read a piece in WSC about issues in Russia with it to today, will post if I cna find online- but OTOH the Test events here seemingly went well but there's so little concrete data put out there on football in the public domain that it's impossible to make a definitive judgement right now IMO! That's 1,000 max anyway, or 2,500 at the most at Brighton anyway, in sunnier weather where perhaps the virus spreads less efficiently, vs 1/3 capacity in Autumn and Winter where there is a good chance that it can spread more efficently. Certainly full capacity would be an absolute no go- see Liverpool v Atletico in March, see Atalanta v Valencia in February, played at the San Siro over in Milan- the latter was in particular spoken about in particularly apocalyptic terms.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

51 minutes ago, CiderCraig said:

Can’t see it happening. They admitted yesterday tier 1 does very little and i don’t think cases are going to be much lower in 2 weeks than they were when we went into lockdown. Tier 2 at least in most places which means no mixing in doors. Opening more things that weren’t open before just seems crazy to me and that goes for the Albert hall as well.

That said, the government still seems to have no plan. They just hate making unpopular decisions and can’t say no to anything.