IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

When will we find out which areas are in which tiers do we think? i`m guessing we`ll be in tier 1 down here in Devon but Bristol will be in tier 2 or 3?

Even if 4k fans were allowed in to AG I doubt I`d want to go - I don`t want to drive 120 miles on my own to sit on my own (none of the people I go with are in my `bubble`) and then drive 120 miles home again.

The club need to do an initial canvas to see who feels the same as I do so they can be removed from the ST total and then see how many are left.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

When will we find out which areas are in which tiers do we think? i`m guessing we`ll be in tier 1 down here in Devon but Bristol will be in tier 2 or 3?

Even if 4k fans were allowed in to AG I doubt I`d want to go - I don`t want to drive 120 miles on my own to sit on my own (none of the people I go with are in my `bubble`) and then drive 120 miles home again.

The club need to do an initial canvas to see who feels the same as I do so they can be removed from the ST total and then see how many are left.

I highly expect Bristol to be in Tier 3. A family member is in a fairly senior position at the BRI and it is bad in there at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Few thoughts (one expressed earlier)

- I can’t find anywhere any news on whether at step 7 or below the prior guidance still holds (I.e. the likes of Yate Town, Taunton, BMF can let fans in irrespective of tier) - anyone seen any info on this?

- The “straight line” 4000 looks odd when it’s 40% of the Memorials capacity but only about 15% of Ashtons. Assume it’s more to do with managing movement around the area than in the ground though

- I can’t see any logical way that the guidance will allow someone from a higher tier area to travel to a game in a lower tier, or it defeats the object of local restrictions

- Its also debatable whether people should or will be allowed to travel across areas fullstop. Even if (say) city of Bristol and North Somerset are both tier 2, then you’re still asking for non essential travel between defined areas. If everyone is sourced from the same “tier” area as the ground you negate that somewhat

So, I reckon my starter is that if we are allowed fans by our tiering, it may only be open to fans local to Ashton/in the Bristol City area. I’d love to be wrong as I live in Yate and can’t wait to get back but the selling to only people in the exact region of the ground seems too obvious a regulation not to apply.

18 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

- I can’t find anywhere any news on whether at step 7 or below the prior guidance still holds (I.e. the likes of Yate Town, Taunton, BMF can let fans in irrespective of tier) - anyone seen any info on this?

- The “straight line” 4000 looks odd when it’s 40% of the Memorials capacity but only about 15% of Ashtons. Assume it’s more to do with managing movement around the area than in the ground though

- I can’t see any logical way that the guidance will allow someone from a higher tier area to travel to a game in a lower tier, or it defeats the object of local restrictions

- Its also debatable whether people should or will be allowed to travel across areas fullstop. Even if (say) city of Bristol and North Somerset are both tier 2, then you’re still asking for non essential travel between defined areas. If everyone is sourced from the same “tier” area as the ground you negate that somewhat

So, I reckon my starter is that if we are allowed fans by our tiering, it may only be open to fans local to Ashton/in the Bristol City area. I’d love to be wrong as I live in Yate and can’t wait to get back but the selling to only people in the exact region of the ground seems too obvious a regulation not to apply.

Yes, interesting points re the tiering and different areas. 
On a sidenote, my Mrs works is a restaurant in Gloucestershire (technically under Stroud council), but we live just over the border in South Glos. 

At current rates, I’d imagine South Glos would be Tier 3, but Stroud Tier 2. So if the restaurant re-opens in Tier 2, can my wife travel and work there from a Tier 3 area? 
Lots of uncertainty over it all still. 

Edited by Harry

19 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

It's 2k/4k or 50% of capacity, whichever is lower.

Edited by Northern Red

56 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I’m not joking, I miss that place so much I’d go if I was the only person allowed ?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

It's 2k/4k or 50% of capacity, whichever is lower.

Yep, knew that part. I was more thinking that the maximum you can get in (say) Old Trafford and The Emirates is the same as you can get in Brunton Park or The Bescot, which looks odd so it has to be around the transit of people to the ground as opposed to the spacing in the stadium once you get to the 2k/4k 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Harry said:

On a sidenote, my Mrs works is a restaurant in Gloucestershire (technically under Stroud council), but we live just over the border in South Glos. 

At current rates, I’d imagine South Glos would be Tier 3, but Stroud Tier 2. So if the restaurant re-opens in Tier 2, can my wife travel and work there from a Tier 3 area? 

I would think so using the England/Wales example - she’s travelling for work which can’t be done from home which would be classed as essential and therefore was ok cross border during the “firebreak” - no reason to doubt any different here.

However, I don’t then believe you would be able to book a table at said restaurant to meet her after work (or the restaurant shouldn’t knowingly let you), as the meal would involve unnecessary travel.

At least, that’s my best interpretation from precedent to date...

• Like 1

I'm not comfirtable with this idea at this stage.  Allowing large groups of people to gather just doesn't seem sensible until they are rolling out the Vaccine and just opens up a whole load of risks that just aren't worth it.  This feels like another Government initiative badly thought out and no doubt will be badly implemented, leaving it to the clubs to interpret and pick up the pieces.

- Creating safe distancing when in your seat is possible in principle but this is heavily dependant on fans being robots sitting in their seats and not mingling - but then how and who polices this during the game if some fans decide to mix or walk about?   Can you imagine the reactions towards stewards approaching fans asking them to sit in their seat and keep apart from each other. Or even some fans challenging other fans - i can imagine there would be carnage.

- I don't believe distancing is possible moving to/from your seat, e.g. under the stands for example before/after the match, at halftime, to go to the toilets/food/drinks etc- again, who/how would this be policed? Can you imagine the cost/risks to do this? And as per the above, the fan reaction at being policed?

- If facilities are open, how do the club manage the staff working on match day to ensure they are also safe and tested and have sufficient staffing levels? What does the club do if staff are tested positive on match day, e.g. replacements?

- Again, with facilities, who is going to police the queues to make sure people keep apart? not going to happen or happen well.    We've all seen how busy it is at half time, even with reduced numbers it would still be too busy when you factor in the amount of space needed for a queuing system.

- It's one thing trying to manage some fans turning up on match day having been on the pre-match lash in pre COVID times - can you imagine the poor stewards/Police that have to do that plus factoring in safe distancing rules once in the ground? No chance.

- Then you have the process of chosing who attends/making it fair/policing fans coming from different Tiered areas - oh and the big one - relying on fans to stay away if they are feeling ill on match day (but they've 'won the lottery' being selected to attend the match).  Guarantee there will be some selfish **** that still goes to the match whos ill becasue they'd prefer to take the risk just to watch live football. Thats all it takes.

I'm sure there are lots of other risks (and extra costs i'm sure the club don't need) too but you have to ask if it is all worth it? Personally, as shit as it is not being able to see City live and how having to make do with horrible emtpy stands during games, i'd rather stick with this approach at this stage with a Vaccine possibly just around the corner rather than risk peoples lives.

(Apologies if my spelling is really bad)

• Like 5

• Admin
17 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

I'm not comfirtable with this idea at this stage.  Allowing large groups of people to gather just doesn't seem sensible until they are rolling out the Vaccine and just opens up a whole load of risks that just aren't worth it.  This feels like another Government initiative badly thought out and no doubt will be badly implemented, leaving it to the clubs to interpret and pick up the pieces.

- Creating safe distancing when in your seat is possible in principle but this is heavily dependant on fans being robots sitting in their seats and not mingling - but then how and who polices this during the game if some fans decide to mix or walk about?   Can you imagine the reactions towards stewards approaching fans asking them to sit in their seat and keep apart from each other. Or even some fans challenging other fans - i can imagine there would be carnage.

- I don't believe distancing is possible moving to/from your seat, e.g. under the stands for example before/after the match, at halftime, to go to the toilets/food/drinks etc- again, who/how would this be policed? Can you imagine the cost/risks to do this? And as per the above, the fan reaction at being policed?

- If facilities are open, how do the club manage the staff working on match day to ensure they are also safe and tested and have sufficient staffing levels? What does the club do if staff are tested positive on match day, e.g. replacements?

- Again, with facilities, who is going to police the queues to make sure people keep apart? not going to happen or happen well.    We've all seen how busy it is at half time, even with reduced numbers it would still be too busy when you factor in the amount of space needed for a queuing system.

- It's one thing trying to manage some fans turning up on match day having been on the pre-match lash in pre COVID times - can you imagine the poor stewards/Police that have to do that plus factoring in safe distancing rules once in the ground? No chance.

- Then you have the process of chosing who attends/making it fair/policing fans coming from different Tiered areas - oh and the big one - relying on fans to stay away if they are feeling ill on match day (but they've 'won the lottery' being selected to attend the match).  Guarantee there will be some selfish **** that still goes to the match whos ill becasue they'd prefer to take the risk just to watch live football. Thats all it takes.

I'm sure there are lots of other risks (and extra costs i'm sure the club don't need) too but you have to ask if it is all worth it? Personally, as shit as it is not being able to see City live and how having to make do with horrible emtpy stands during games, i'd rather stick with this approach at this stage with a Vaccine possibly just around the corner rather than risk peoples lives.

(Apologies if my spelling is really bad)

You are obviously entitled to your opinion but it's a shame how you focus on all negative points.

You need to research how clubs that have been letting fans in already, that explains and proves your points are incorrect.

You surely realise that there's staggered entry times and points, people will become checked on arrival and show ID to prove they're the person who purchased the ticket.

• Like 1

• Admin
53 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yes, as before. 

Travelling between areas was not restricted in the same country 

• Admin
49 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

So we’ll have to wait until Bristol is in tier 1, where I live in Devon has been in the bottom 10% of the country pretty much the whole time, fingers crossed it stays that way.

I’ll be furious but not surprised if I can’t go when it actually happens.

As pointed out to me by a friend, the problem would be staff at the stadium. 

Selling tickets to those in specific areas would be the easier part of reopening 

11 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Which kit..? I ordered home kits last week and they've arrived today. 

The white 3rd kit which will have my daughters name on it, that I allowed them to keep my money for back in the summer, which I ordered in September, only to later discover I might not receive it until December. 

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

So we’ll have to wait until Bristol is in tier 1, where I live in Devon has been in the bottom 10% of the country pretty much the whole time, fingers crossed it stays that way.

I’ll be furious but not surprised if I can’t go when it actually happens.

As an aside to a fellow Devonian it will be interesting to see how they approach the county as a whole. Will Plymouth/Exeter/Torbay be in a higher tier than the rest of us I wonder?

34 minutes ago, Harry said:

The white 3rd kit which will have my daughters name on it, that I allowed them to keep my money for back in the summer, which I ordered in September, only to later discover I might not receive it until December. 

Ah right, just wondered if you'd had issues with the home one and was letting you know it's going out quickly enough now. 

No idea about the 3rd kit. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, phantom said:

Yes, as before. 

Travelling between areas was not restricted in the same country 

In work, we had engineers based in tier 3 areas (Bolton actually) that were travelling to tier 1 areas (North Wales) for work. They were allowed to travel but not to stay overnight even though they were travelling for work.

I would imagine the same will apply to us after Dec 2nd as we will probably be tier 3 then, we can travel into lower risk areas but not stay overnight.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Ah right, just wondered if you'd had issues with the home one and was letting you know it's going out quickly enough now. 

No idea about the 3rd kit. 

Yep. It’s been a slow process mate. 
I’m expecting Walsh & Williams to be fit before I get the 3rd kit delivered!!! ?

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

As an aside to a fellow Devonian it will be interesting to see how they approach the county as a whole. Will Plymouth/Exeter/Torbay be in a higher tier than the rest of us I wonder?

Yes it is a difficult situation, Teignbridge is currently bottom of the Devon cases league and when I last looked 3rd bottom in the country but out of my window across the bay I look over Torbay which is high and a place I visit every day for work. 

• Like 1

Just now, ralphindevon said:

Yes it is a difficult situation, Teignbridge is currently bottom of the Devon cases league and when I last looked 3rd bottom in the country but out of my window across the bay I look over Torbay which is high and a place I visit every day for work. 

Yep it is. We`re in West Devon just over the Cornish border and are also very low but in half an hour I can be in the centre of Exeter (been working there all day today) or Plymouth. It will probably end up the same everywhere purely because of the ease of travelling from a low to a high area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phantom said:

You are obviously entitled to your opinion but it's a shame how you focus on all negative points.

You need to research how clubs that have been letting fans in already, that explains and proves your points are incorrect.

You surely realise that there's staggered entry times and points, people will become checked on arrival and show ID to prove they're the person who purchased the ticket.

It's good that smaller clubs have been testing and trialling it but I'm still not convinved it's safe enough to justify the risks (or the costs to the club). Clubs might be able to stagger entry times and check IDs but that doesn't completely remove the risks of the virus spreading as per some of my examples. I'm not convinced it can be policed safely throughout.  This isn't a model where every club is the same and therefore testing it at a few clubs lower down the pyramid means it'll work and deliver the same results at every club. 

I know you could argue the risks are the same as walking down the street or through Cabot Circus where there are lots of people not socially distancing (which is probably already a contributing factor to the numbers increasing in itself) but the difference here (imo) is for the sake of entertainment, the Government and Football authorities are willing to turn the tap on to increase the spread of the virus.  Feels wrong at this time when a vaccine hasn't yet been rolled out.

Edited by Loco Rojo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned but has anyone had there refund for the matches to the end of the year as promised last week?

if Bristol numbers fall as quickly as they rose we might be paying it back.

I’ve not had mine, they did say by the end of the month but now might hold fire

I suspect we will get refunds and then have to buy a ticket if you`re one of the ones who gets the chance to attend.