IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

Couple of things. 
First, I was quite surprised to see that City were putting 4 games on sale at the same time. 
Tier 2 begins 19th Dec for Bristol. South Glos Tier 3, due to be reviewed 2nd Jan. 

In that time until the South Glos review, we only have 1 match, on 26th Dec. The next matches are 10/1, 16/1 & 24/1. 

So, by the time 2nd Jan comes round, South Glos residents could be allowed in, but the limited tickets will likely have already gone. Right up til the end of Jan. Hardly seems fair to South Glos fans. 

Conversely, the 2nd Jan review may even see Bristol back in Tier 3, so tickets would then have been unnecessarily sold for games up 3 weeks later! Not sure why they don’t just sell tickets for the current review period. 

Anyway, 2nd point is following today’s announcement. I’m actually quite staggered that, if we are currently in such a dangerous position that people can’t meet more than 1 person outside, nor have any family to their house for Xmas, that football is still going ahead. Seems like utter madness to me. 
As someone said above, you can’t pop over your mums for Xmas dinner but next day you can sit in a stadium for 2-3 hours with 2,000 strangers. 
If this latest strain is so potent and worrying, then I’m amazed football is even allowed to continue, let alone having fans in. It’s not exactly ‘essential’ is it really. 
I don’t wanna be a party-pooper here, but it just makes no sense to me how you can do 1 thing with thousands of strangers but can’t do another thing with 1 member of your family. 

Totally agree with this post. Madness that you cant go and see any relatives Boxing Day but can attend a football match with 2000 people. Equally i could go for a meal in a pub with my family which is full of strangers but again cant visit my Elderly Parents on boxing day.

Unfortunately i cant go Xmas day as i am working the whole of that day due to my job.

Seems that football takes presidence over humanity these days.

• Like 4

@phantom if you genuinely believe this new strain of covid that spreads 70% easier is only a tier 4 problem and it won’t spread, where on earth have you been since March? 

Its like people on the original covid thread who said covid was nothing to worry about and we would be back to normality in month or so. 

Anyone who think it is a good idea to go near a football ground with 2000 people in, or a busy pub etc and think it’s safe needs their head looking at and is one of the reasons we are at this state in this country. 

People have to stop mixing, it’s as simple as that. Look at New Zealand for example, how they are basically back to normality then look at the mess in this country.

There is no way I will be going anywhere near the gate for a long time. 

Edited by S25loyal
  • Like 2

• Admin
13 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

@phantom if you genuinely believe this new strain of covid that spreads 70% easier is only a tier 4 problem and it won’t spread, where on earth have you been since March? 

Its like people on the original covid thread who said covid was nothing to worry about and we would be back to normality in month or so. 

Anyone who think it is a good idea to go near a football ground with 2000 people in, or a busy pub etc and think it’s safe needs their head looking at and is one of the reasons we are at this state in this country. 

People have to stop mixing, it’s as simple as that. Look at New Zealand for example, how they are basically back to normality then look at the mess in this country.

There is no way I will be going anywhere near the gate for a long time. 

100% don't believe that, but we have to trust experts 

Just been put into Tier 4 - Tier 2 yesterday, then a heady 24 hours in Tier 3, so it’s a complete shambles and, personally, devastating. I’m 55 and, at this moment, I’ve probably never been so low. Yet the days big news is that late this afternoon my 82 year old dad in Yatton got a call and at 840 tomorrow morning he gets vaccinated. Thank God. Do I miss going to the Gate? Oh yes. Am I agonising over our results and injuries? Oh yes. Ultimately do I give a flying cack? No.

• Like 1

On 25/11/2020 at 12:05, winsaw said:

Why that's not supported by any of the different scientific groups following the progress of the virus in this country most have models that show by the end of March it will be down to Almost 0 infections for the whole country so why do you think it would be so high in February

This isn't looking so good, still believe it? I think my £50 is safe.

10 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

im 56 with no photo id. went to post office to send off all the bumf for a photo licence in my 40s,lady on counter said not to bother as my paper one was valid until i was 70 therefore wouldnt need to renew until then

If you already have a photo driving license you have to renew it every ten years but if you still have the old paper one you only have to before age 70 if you move, change your name etc.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

One thing I didn't know until this evening is that there is no testing in the EFL players are only being identified following having symptoms. 

In January all EFL players and staff will be tested  that will be interesting to see what that finds

16 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

This has been the case for a while. I’m amazed it was allowed tbf. 

Exactly. This was mentioned a number of weeks ago when we had our ‘outbreak’. I was amazed. It certainly went under the radar - I think most people thought weekly or even bi-weekly testing was taking place. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phantom said:

One thing I didn't know until this evening is that there is no testing in the EFL players are only being identified following having symptoms. 

In January all EFL players and staff will be tested  that will be interesting to see what that finds

Well the WSL just found its biggest number of cases, 32 (4% of all tested) which is higher than the past 7 weeks combined

I assume they must be tested regularly?

18 hours ago, phantom said:

Didn't know that either and am amazed by it TBH.

So, there’s more positive tests today at Man City and Rochdale, hot on the heels of Portsmouth, Ipswich, Sunderland, Rovers and more, all in the last 10 days. 

Over the last 2 months, how many footballers have tested positive? There’s been quite a few. 
I wonder what sort of ratio there is in football. The percentage of players versus the percentage of players positive must surely be higher than in any other workplace. 

I’m actually amazed the games are still being played. Surely it’s only a matter of time. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Harry said:

So, there’s more positive tests today at Man City and Rochdale, hot on the heels of Portsmouth, Ipswich, Sunderland, Rovers and more, all in the last 10 days. 

Over the last 2 months, how many footballers have tested positive? There’s been quite a few. 
I wonder what sort of ratio there is in football. The percentage of players versus the percentage of players positive must surely be higher than in any other workplace. 

I’m actually amazed the games are still being played. Surely it’s only a matter of time. 

You know and I know it’s due to the £££, any other work place and it would be closed down by now for not being covid secure. 

I can’t legally go to the pub in a tier 2 area with a mate, but if we were both professional footballers I could man mark him for an hour and a half without a problem. 

I don’t know of any other job where you could stand that close to someone for that long without a daft plastic screen, or a mask etc. 

Edited by S25loyal
  • Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, S25loyal said:

You know and I know it’s due to the £££, any other work place and it would be closed down by now for not being covid secure. 

I can’t legally go to the pub in a tier 2 area with a mate, but if we were both professional footballers I could man mark him for an hour and a half without a problem. 

I don’t know of any other job where you could stand that close to someone for that long without a daft plastic screen, or a mask etc. 

Wasn't there a study that a footballer didn't actually stand close enough to a specific player to contract the virus?

I'm still amazed the EFL are not routinely testing 

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Not sure there's any reason or evidence that would back up that % of players would be higher than any other industry. 

Only Man City would have a complete test of staff, but surely that is the whole squad and staff around training and matchday squads. 

Apart from maybe one or two clubs numbers affected have always been low

When the EFL brings in mass testing in January will be the make or break time on a larger scale 

Below shows tests in the Premier League, clearly indicating there's not any mass problemsScreenshot_20201225-220457_Samsung Internet.jpg

On 25/12/2020 at 20:21, S25loyal said:

It’s not just money though, you could go do that on the downs in an amateur football team and pay for the privilidge

1 minute ago, markcarter said:

Easily the highest number of daily infections reported across the country for the whole pandemic today.  Figures spiralling upwards.  Not surprising so many bubbles are being compromised.  It’s not sustainable.  We can expect football to be suspended at some point during January.

The premier league won’t be suspended but think EFL will. The FA cup weekend will be interesting seeing number of premier league clubs against lower league clubs where testing will not be as regular 

49 minutes ago, markcarter said:

Easily the highest number of daily infections reported across the country for the whole pandemic today.  Figures spiralling upwards.  Not surprising so many bubbles are being compromised.  It’s not sustainable.  We can expect football to be suspended at some point during January.

No chance.  EFL maybe but no way Prem stops. They’ll just have to manage games as they have done so far with Newcastle and now Man City. 

Just now, petehinton said:

Can’t be far off the season being paused at this rate

Because one game has been postponed? 

• Like 1

I’m still amazed at the inconsistency. 
We’ve seen some games in the EFL cancelled due to positive tests, others have gone ahead. 
Man C had 2 positives on Xmas day and were allowed to carry on and play Newcastle the next day. Now it transpires, 2 days later, that they have more positives. Surely that should mean that all the Newcastle players should isolate for 10 days, but no, they’ll be carrying on as normal. 
Just seems really inconsistent in how it’s applied to each team but also how it’s applied vs the rest of the population. 

I’m just not ‘getting’ it, to be honest. 

• Like 4