IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

7 hours ago, pillred said:

At the moment there are no plans to vaccinate everybody in the country (well not for quite a while) the idea is to vaccinate the people most a risk first, that should be done in the next 8 weeks, there are more vaccines coming on stream very soon so I think your estimate of Christmas  is very pessimistic to say the least though I don't think we will be going back to the gate this season I will be surprised if fans are not there by the start of next season.

The plan is to eventually vaccinate the whole country. At the moment can’t vaccinate children for vaccine not got enough data to be used on children that is still being collected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, pillred said:

At the moment there are no plans to vaccinate everybody in the country (well not for quite a while) the idea is to vaccinate the people most a risk first, that should be done in the next 8 weeks, there are more vaccines coming on stream very soon so I think your estimate of Christmas  is very pessimistic to say the least though I don't think we will be going back to the gate this season I will be surprised if fans are not there by the start of next season.

Personally, I think Christmas is highly optimistic. The virus is going nowhere, and vaccines will just be one method of control and reducing the impact. The scientists are suggesting we may need lockdowns next winter and really need to get our T&T functioning as something more than a Corporate gravy train. My guess is no return this season, reduced capacity 21/22, and see where we are then. Pessimistic, but being a pessimist means that you are rarely disappointed. 

I do hope that you are right and I am wrong though. 

3 hours ago, Mr Chappers said:

Personally, I think Christmas is highly optimistic. The virus is going nowhere, and vaccines will just be one method of control and reducing the impact. The scientists are suggesting we may need lockdowns next winter and really need to get our T&T functioning as something more than a Corporate gravy train. My guess is no return this season, reduced capacity 21/22, and see where we are then. Pessimistic, but being a pessimist means that you are rarely disappointed. 

There will come a point where they have to consider the risks against the overall harm to the economy that point will come once those most at risk are considered fairly safe ie those over about 50 yes it will probably never go away but if the vaccine keeps the vast majority from any real danger why wouldn't life return to some sort of normality?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

As a regional hub and one end of the ground out of use (shutters down no exits) and it is going to take around a year to vaccinate everybody in the country (2 million a week 55 million people x2) then there will be no full capacity till the hub is moved. You are looking till Christmas till we get fans in fully at a guess with the hub there.

The club must be getting some good money as a hub to stop 6k (guessing capacity south stand) coming in to games till then. 

I expect these big regional hubs are just to get the majority of at risk done ASAP. Eventually it'll be local GPs and hospitals I expect?

Either way, cant see full crowds this season. Maybe start of next season at a push if we're lucky, the majority of people will be vaccinated by then

1 hour ago, pillred said:

There will come a point where they have to consider the risks against the overall harm to the economy that point will come once those most at risk are considered fairly safe ie those over about 50 yes it will probably never go away but if the vaccine keeps the vast majority from any real danger why wouldn't life return to some sort of normality?

It’s not just the economy, it’s so many other things (mental and physical health of millions plus lots of other social things like education etc). It’s a disgrace that kids are missing out on education.

We can’t go on as we are for much longer in any respect. Either the vaccine works or there will need to be a time when we stop millions being jobless and homeless as the government can’t keep dishing out financial support forever. Let alone all the cancers missed, mental health being in pieces etc. Personally I think lockdowns (apart from the first one) are just short termism that do more damage than good. It’s the criminal underfunding of the nhs that the current government can use as a reason for lockdowns and people to agree. If it was funded properly and they actually got their arses into gear and vaccinated anyone over 50-60 ASAP then we wouldn’t be in such a big mess at the moment.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

It’s not just the economy, it’s so many other things (mental and physical health of millions plus lots of other social things like education etc). It’s a disgrace that kids are missing out on education.

We can’t go on as we are for much longer in any respect. Either the vaccine works or there will need to be a time when we stop millions being jobless and homeless as the government can’t keep dishing out financial support forever. Let alone all the cancers missed, mental health being in pieces etc. Personally I think lockdowns (apart from the first one) are just short termism that do more damage than good. It’s the criminal underfunding of the nhs that the current government can use as a reason for lockdowns and people to agree. If it was funded properly and they actually got their arses into gear and vaccinated anyone over 50-60 ASAP then we wouldn’t be in such a big mess at the moment.

That's exactly what lockdowns should be, a short term measure to buy time to get plans in place. We screwed up the first one by not getting track and trace in place and then sending everyone out 3 x a day for cheap food and never getting on top of the resultant spread. THe second lockdown was a joke to enable Boris to "allow" Xmas. At least this one has a plan and end goal - vaccination of the most vulnerable.

Obviuosly there will come a time we have to live with it, but not when 3500 extra people a day are being admitted to hospital. It wouldn't be long til we're at a point in some areas where if you have a heart attack, stroke, car accident etc you just wont get the help you need in time.

5 hours ago, Mr Chappers said:

Problem is though , is that no one knows how long the vaccination will last, ie length of immunisation. It may be a year, or maybe much less and so people may need vaccinating for a second time, before some have even had their first. This could go on for a couple of years before a routine settles down, as it has with the flu vaccine, and if necessary, specials units  built.

19 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Out of 3,507 tests.

A third of the positives at 3 clubs, most clubs averaging 1 or 2.

Premier league had 40 in 2257 which was 2 sets of results.

EFL rate of 112 in 3507 is roughly double the PL rate.

They have just updated there rules on Covid to bring levels down.

50 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

EFL rate of 112 in 3507 is roughly double the PL rate.

They have just updated there rules on Covid to bring levels down.

That’s a hit rate of over 3% for the EFL. 
The equivalent of over 2 million people in the U.K. testing positive today. 
And yet football carries on....... 

• Admin
1 hour ago, Super said:

112 positive cases in EFL

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Out of 3,507 tests.

A third of the positives at 3 clubs, most clubs averaging 1 or 2.

Works out 3.19% of people tested came back positive

Indeed the EFL have stated that the majority of clubs have no positive cases and these figures all relate to a very small handful of clubs 

1 hour ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Works out 1.77% of people tested came back positive

23 hours ago, markcarter said:

Football suspended soon.  The EFL testing starts again on Monday 11 January.  That will throw up horrific levels of infections, as per the community in general.

@markcarter as you have been consistently telling us for a while now that there are going to be horrific figures in the footballing world that would result in leagues being postponed

Do you honestly think these numbers are that bad, or that there will be a massive increase when full testing kicks off next week?

28 minutes ago, Harry said:

That’s a hit rate of over 3% for the EFL. 
The equivalent of over 2 million people in the U.K. testing positive today. 
And yet football carries on....... 

Not sure why it shouldn't?

What you keep forgetting to account for these footballers and staff that have up to now have initially testing positive, at present the number of these that have died is NONE

• Admin

Hopefully the EFL follow suit with a similar message to what has just been issued to Premier League;

These are the full protocols now in use, that have been sent to all Premier League clubs:

TRAINING GROUND

• Maintain social distancing at all times.
  • Avoid unnecessary contact at all times.
  • Employ a one-way system inside training ground buildings.
  • Limit further potential 'meeting points'.
  • If not done already, clubs should introduce a 'red zone' for areas used exclusively by first team players and staff.
  • Encourage players and staff to eat off-site as much as possible.
  • Ensure regular hand washing by all.
  • Every piece of gym equipment to be wiped down after each individual use.
  • Indoor pitches may remain open, so long as they are well ventilated and a risk assessment has been carried out.
  • Physio and other 'contact rehab' is banned, apart from essential use only. In these cases, sessions are limited to a max of 15 minutes.
  • Contractors are banned from the training ground when the first team are in.

TRAVEL

• Use three coaches for the squad instead of two.
  • Clubs must ensure any employee who comes into contact with the squad has tested negative, before they are allowed to do so.
  • Compliance officers are allowed to inspect coaches, trains and aircraft for compliance before squads use them, or on arrival at a game.

MATCHDAY OPERATIONS

• Face masks to be worn by everyone at all times. The only exceptions are players and immediate coaching staff, during warm up and the game itself. All subs sitting on the bench will now be obliged to wear a mask.
  • Avoid all unnecessary contact on matchday - especially between players and staff from different clubs.
  • Compliance officers are empowered to enter changing rooms to ensure protocols, and all other areas of the stadium (for example to check squad members on the bench are properly socially distanced).
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, phantom said:

Physio and other 'contact rehab' is banned, apart from essential use only. In these cases, sessions are limited to a max of 15 minutes.

A similar rule has been in place since the start of the season, a potential contributing factor to the increased amount of injuries at all clubs?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I don’t fundamentally disagree, but I think the latest virus has changed things a lot. The problem with vaccine speed is not the bodies, it’s how fast the batches of vaccine can be produced and tested, plus a rumoured shortage of the vials. And don’t forget the two doses, I think it’s going to be a very long job and it worries me that the focus is on big numbers, rather than getting it right.

We shall see, I’d rather it was sooner, but suspect restrictions will be around for quite a while.

Volunteer at a step 9 club 

Only 6 players at a time in changing room 

Everyone and subs must wear masks on the bench

Players not to share cars home or away.

No sharing of water bottles, bring your own for can’t guaranteee club ones would be clean enough.

4 rules the FA said clubs lower down had to follow, so why have Elite clubs been allowed to follow there own rules and now get told follow new tighter rules for current ones aren’t working.

• Like 1

• Admin
11 minutes ago, Super said:

Does anyone really care about football at the moment? Really does feel irrelevant at the moment and has for a while. Maybe its just me i dunno!?

Personally it is the only thing I have in my life outside of working at the moment

Before this season I couldn't care less about anything outside Bristol City, but I have taken an interest in other teams all around the country and god forbid found myself watching the Premier League games recently too

My one frustration about football is how some players carry on with life as if there is nothing going on

I appreciate that this is selfish but I would personally really struggle without having sport on TV at the moment. 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

Personally it is the only thing I have in my life outside of working at the moment

Before this season I couldn't care less about anything outside Bristol City, but I have taken an interest in other teams all around the country and god forbid found myself watching the Premier League games recently too

My one frustration about football is how some players carry on with life as if there is nothing going on

I appreciate that this is selfish but I would personally really struggle without having sport on TV at the moment. 

I do get that. Im enjoying the cricket atm test matches and big bash. Just struggling with footy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Volunteer at a step 9 club 

Only 6 players at a time in changing room - Professional clubs use larger areas which conform to social distancing, which is why a lot of changing rooms aren't used and board rooms etc are instead

Everyone and subs must wear masks on the bench - Bench areas at pro level adjusted to fit social distancing rules, half the seats in the dug out removed to fit social distancing

Players not to share cars home or away. - Professionals have much stricter general protocols in place, also travel over 2 coaches as opposed to 1, now seemingly having to be 3. Gauged risk of 30 or so people who follow restrictions travelling vs sharing 2 coaches where they can adequately space out, also the requirement to potentially travel long distances late at night.

No sharing of water bottles, bring your own for can’t guaranteee club ones would be clean enough. - This is in the pro game

4 rules the FA said clubs lower down had to follow, so why have Elite clubs been allowed to follow there own rules and now get told follow new tighter rules for current ones aren’t working.

Namely Pro's have much stricter general principles which are being made stricter than amateurs who turn up and play/train

Bar a few clubs having outbreaks you've generally got a max of 1 or 2 positives per club. City reported 0 bar Kasey whose been in South Wales, not working? The only way to ensure a 0 case system would have been to have had players in bio secure bubbles like cricket which would mean not seeing family or being outside a hotel environment for several months which wouldn't happen, even then we saw in South Africa it isn't fallible. 

14 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Namely Pro's have much stricter general principles which are being made stricter than amateurs who turn up and play/train

Bar a few clubs having outbreaks you've generally got a max of 1 or 2 positives per club. City reported 0 bar Kasey whose been in South Wales, not working? The only way to ensure a 0 case system would have been to have had players in bio secure bubbles like cricket which would mean not seeing family or being outside a hotel environment for several months which wouldn't happen, even then we saw in South Africa it isn't fallible. 

But they aren’t strict 

When football returned at the Southampton friendly our players came in there own cars. Now it’s going from 2 coaches to 3. How much ventilation is there on a coach?

Players and clubs were told no canteens to be open, now clubs told close them and only match day can be used.

2 examples of where clubs and the league were not taking it seriously.

Reason they are taking it seriously now is Government are questioning them.

Clubs now told any breaches by players fine then and league will also fine clubs. You don’t fine players we will do it instead.

• Like 1

• Avoid all unnecessary contact on matchday - especially between players and staff from different clubs.

I hope you are reading this, whoever you are who organised/authorised the group photo at Luton!

I am not convinced you really enhanced any anti-racism feelings with a demonstration in front of an empty stadium, but it would seem you may have increased COVID.

Well Done.

• Like 2