IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I've never been so glad for a test series to be starting soon

Yes but which idiot put it at 4.30am?!

1 hour ago, forbespm said:

Same here.just doesn't feel right in this present climate.

Its hard to care about City as it doesn't seem real. I like to have sport on to watch though as else its just box sets or exercise - other than that its working or shopping. Not much of a life.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Chappers said:

I don’t fundamentally disagree, but I think the latest virus has changed things a lot. The problem with vaccine speed is not the bodies, it’s how fast the batches of vaccine can be produced and tested, plus a rumoured shortage of the vials. And don’t forget the two doses, I think it’s going to be a very long job and it worries me that the focus is on big numbers, rather than getting it right.

We shall see, I’d rather it was sooner, but suspect restrictions will be around for quite a while.

They need to find a way of getting it done asap as people can't go on like this for much longer - it isn't a surprise you see especially young people breaking rules etc as I would feel exactly the same as they do. We will be at the one year point by the time we are meant to have the 50+ vaccinated so that would be a time to start getting back to normal over the Spring/Summer and be ready by next Winter to have everyone vaccinated so we can go on as normal. 

Personally I do feel as though the long term cost (overall) of having lockdown is much worse than not having lockdowns (first one was the exception due to the unknown). But unfortunately the severe underfunding of the NHS means all they can do is say the NHS will be over run every time which is costing so much to everyone.

23 minutes ago, weepywall said:

I know what you mean but I think if we were 6 points clear at the top I may care a bit more.?‍♂️

I'd be hacked off in some respects that we couldn't be there to see it. I certainly wouldn't want to be promoted watching at home so all this season is about for me is just getting it done and staying in the Championship.

• Like 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Yes but which idiot put it at 4.30am?!

Its hard to care about City as it doesn't seem real.

Bugger, forgot about the time difference. 

This is very true, why I'm always amazed so many people would be happy watching on TV

What was great- watching some of the Tests in New Zealand and Australia, and some of the latter vs India in the 2nd Test had a great first hour, passage of play on Boxing Day but anyway.

Fans! Not especially socially distanced- easier for them due to population density and island, plus seasonal elements but Bravo tbh! Didn't even have to wear masks, with the possible exception of Sydney,

Health and safety is 1st, 2nd and 3rd but here is an interesting snippet I saw online earlier.

Football is just that in the scheme of things, but there surely should be someone NOT from an EFL club overseeing it.

Concern over Owls doctor's potential conflict of interest 

Several EFL clubs have raised concerns about chief medical adviser Dr Richard Higgins during the Covid-19 crisis and a potential conflict of interest as he is also club doctor at Sheffield Wednesday.

Due to the sensitive nature of players' medical information during the pandemic, many clubs are worried about a rival gaining inside knowledge over the extent of their Covid cases.

The EFL are also assisted by Sheffield United doctor Subhashis Basu who, along with Dr Higgins, organised the screening programme that resulted in 112 positive tests from 3,507 players and staff this week.

The Premier League have their own independent medical director, Mark Gillett, who has taken charge of testing procedures and Covid-secure protocols throughout the pandemic.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9127447/AHEAD-GAME-Ralph-Hasenhuttl-features-Chelseas-list-Frank-Lampard-replacements.html

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

6 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:
  • Avoid all unnecessary contact on matchday - especially between players and staff from different clubs.

I hope you are reading this, whoever you are who organised/authorised the group photo at Luton!

I am not convinced you really enhanced any anti-racism feelings with a demonstration in front of an empty stadium, but it would seem you may have increased COVID.

Well Done.

Increased it how? None of our players tested positive did they?

that bit at the start wouldn’t have been any better or worse than all mixing at a corner or such like

21 hours ago, Super said:

Does anyone really care about football at the moment? Really does feel irrelevant at the moment and has for a while. Maybe its just me i dunno!?

Not just you @Super, I haven't given a F for months. I did get a ticket for PNE, but more to enable meeting my normal match-going crowd that caring about what might happen on the pitch.

Close the whole thing down, I wouldn't give a toss.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Super said:

Does anyone really care about football at the moment? Really does feel irrelevant at the moment and has for a while. Maybe its just me i dunno!?

I think for most well me anyway it's a welcome distraction, but yes it's hard to get too exited about the games at the moment. 

51 minutes ago, M.D said:

A guy I know who works in Horse racing is saying they are going to suspend all elite sports from tomorrow as the NHS need the medical cover provided at venues..

I can’t see it being true but wouldn’t surprise me..

Someone on another forum that I use has posted similar, also via a horse racing source.

Edited by Northern Red
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, M.D said:

A guy I know who works in Horse racing is saying they are going to suspend all elite sports from tomorrow as the NHS need the medical cover provided at venues..

I can’t see it being true but wouldn’t surprise me..

Imagine Brentford fan reactions

'Mark Ashton was behind the suspension' 

'Couldn't fake covid cases again so got elite sport suspended instead'

?

Edited by Lrrr
  • Haha 1

On 08/01/2021 at 16:38, phantom said:

Personally it is the only thing I have in my life outside of working at the moment

Before this season I couldn't care less about anything outside Bristol City, but I have taken an interest in other teams all around the country and god forbid found myself watching the Premier League games recently too

My one frustration about football is how some players carry on with life as if there is nothing going on

I appreciate that this is selfish but I would personally really struggle without having sport on TV at the moment. 

you carry on ,its one or two hours you dont have to sit wondering what to do next. i enjoy watching snooker,can be boring but much more exciting these days with the likes of o sullivan and trumpy smashing balls in

Neil Lennon and 13 Celtic players are now self isolating after one player tested positive after their warm weather training in Dubai, what was already looking not the brightest decision to go is now looking positively stupid and will likely cost them whatever slim chance they had of retaining the league

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55525905

• Haha 1

On 09/01/2021 at 00:02, Mr Popodopolous said:

What was great- watching some of the Tests in New Zealand and Australia, and some of the latter vs India in the 2nd Test had a great first hour, passage of play on Boxing Day but anyway.

Fans! Not especially socially distanced- easier for them due to population density and island, plus seasonal elements but Bravo tbh! Didn't even have to wear masks, with the possible exception of Sydney,

Health and safety is 1st, 2nd and 3rd but here is an interesting snippet I saw online earlier.

Football is just that in the scheme of things, but there surely should be someone NOT from an EFL club overseeing it.

One very small point... We are an island ?

2 hours ago, walnutroof said:

Neil Lennon and 13 Celtic players are now self isolating after one player tested positive after their warm weather training in Dubai, what was already looking not the brightest decision to go is now looking positively stupid and will likely cost them whatever slim chance they had of retaining the league

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55525905

Why were they allowed to go to Dubai? Insanity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Why were they allowed to go to Dubai? Insanity.

What’s even more insane is the player that caught it is already facing 4 months out injured so shouldn’t have been there 

Its Celtic them and Rangers think they’re in charge of Scottish football 

Edited by walnutroof

Another postponement?

From yesterday's Lancashire Evening Post

Preston North End squad and backroom staff to undergo Covid-19 tests after member of coaching team shows symptoms | Lancashire Evening Post (lep.co.uk)

Preston North End will test their squad and backroom staff for Covid-19 today after their coaching team was hit by a scare at the weekend.

By Dave Seddon

Monday, 11th January 2021, 8:00 am

Four of the coaches went into self-isolation ahead of the FA Cup defeat to Wycombe after one of them displayed symptoms of the virus.

It left staff numbers thin on the ground at Adams Park, with manager Alex Neil only having the help of assistant keeper coach Jack Cudworth and the fitness coaches.

Those isolating include Steve Thompson, Mike Pollitt, Frankie McAvoy and Paul Gallagher, although medical confidentiality means the individual with symptoms isn’t being identified.

The individual concerned has been tested and the result being awaited.

Separately, PNE winger Tom Barkhuizen is currently isolating, that period due to end in the middle of the week.

A track and trace from outside the club led to him having to isolate under Government rules.

All EFL clubs will start twice weekly lateral flow tests from today, funded by the PFA.

PNE's 4-1 FA Cup defeat at Wycombe was played in misty conditions

For today’s testing though, North End are funding the nose and throat swab tests which have been used through the pandemic.

It tends to take around 48 hours for results of those tests to come back.

Speaking after the 4-1 loss to Wycombe, Neil said: “We need to get them tested, we need to get everyone tested.

“The likelihood is we will have a testing programme and won’t be able to train until we have the results.

“It came from one individual having symptoms within the group. That is more concerning than a track and trace.”

Edited by Curr Avon

• The title was changed to Preston testing for Covid

The title speaks for itself.  Every prem game this week has seen goal scorers being bombarded by team mates, players spitting and clearing their noses and subs on the bench not wearing masks.  Do these prima donnas who clearly think they are above any rules need sorting out?  Not helped by the likes of Guadiola (however his name is spelt!) defending them!

Don't know about you but I'm absolutely fed up with the hypocrisy and double standards being displayed and nothing done about it.  Fines are a joke and I think the only way to get the message home is either stop Football being played or dock the club points to concentrate the minds.  Views????

• Like 2

I think it's only right and fair that each team we are playing against are made to strictly adhere to the 2 metres social distancing. 

As with other instances, all these people are tested twice a week and there fore are the exception. 

I think being able to watch football is a welcome snippet of some form of reality for us all and as long as its being done safely, then there's not that an issue. 

• Like 1