IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

3 hours ago, winsaw said:

No they said they would follow the data and if as looks very likely things are going far better than expected then they should follow that date and open things sooner, there was some one on TV from the government yesterday saying that they may only need 2 weeks between the lifting if restrictions now not the 4 they thought, 

It takes at least 3 weeks for any effect on hospital admissions to come through. By giving each stage a 5 week gap you are making sure by opening another sector of economy and life you are not letting it get out of control. 

It has been mentioned a few times by government and scientists that come Autumn we may well have to have some kind of restrictions to keep it under control masks and social testing . 21st June will only happen if test events show no increase in hospital admissions and death rates. 

We have a vaccine and hopefully it will last 9 months or longer but if it is only good for 6 months then opening up can be stalled by a few weeks as we give people a booster it is all basically a big experiment that no one knows what the end result will be. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Midred said:

Just seen that one of the final rounds of the premier league matches are to be pushed back a week to enable the little darlings to have not one but two matches with up to 10,000 fans present. Bless!

Would imagine the simple thing to do would be pushing the midweek set of fixtures 3 from the end back to the weekend, being fair if the EFL was in the same position I'd expect them to do the same.

9 minutes ago, reddoh said:

you don't have to answer this but why do you back to the same place every year?

We go (or at least try) to Looe once a year, and from there go off to a few different places around Cornwall on daytrips. If you like an area that much, then why not? 

We also try to go to a few different areas at different points in the year (maybe not so much now as we have the dog and baby), but never enjoy it as much as Cornwall/Looe.

Some people prefer to go abroad every year, some stay in the UK, some will go to one place once, and never go back again. From the sounds of it you're in the latter group, that's fine if that's what you prefer.

Also for different people, their needs/requirements will be different, and perhaps a specific area/Park/accommodation is a perfect setup for them. For @Davefevs his requirements will be more specific than for me and my family. 

With that in mind this year we're taking my mum and dad away with us as it will be their 40th anniversary, in the same week it will be our 11th. My dad can't walk far, mum had a stroke a few years ago, and as a result she can't walk far now either, in fact uses a scooter most of the time if she's out for a prolonged amount of time. The place we are going, we all like, all know, and although it's not on the flat exactly, they can still get about the site. We also know that they can cater for their needs as well as ours by having a fully accessible caravan.

That's one reason we usually go there when we do go to Looe.

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

59 minutes ago, reddoh said:

you don't have to answer this but why do you back to the same place every year?

Nah, that’s ok Dave.  It’s Because we like it!  We do go to other places too.

When I say each year, this will be our third year.  As you know, with Joe, finding suitable accommodation is not easy.  We found a lovely converted barn on a farm just outside Porthtowan, where the owners had made it accessible, level access, wide doors, wet room, etc.  Both kids love it, the farm dog comes in and says hello, it’s nice and relaxing and a good base to head anywhere in Cornwall.  Porthtowan beach, although not the prettiest is fine to get Joe’s beach wheelchair on and off.  

image.thumb.jpeg.71d042de7ab22dba188caef35b124901.jpeg

For us, there’s something to be said for turning up somewhere, and not having to suss everything out, and the holiday starting the moment you arrive.

It takes a helluva lot of prep (and money) taking Joe’s wheelchair abroad, so we tend to do a big trip every few years, e.g. Oz, LA / Anaheim.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

When I say each year, this will be our third year.  As you know, with Joe, finding suitable accommodation is not easy.  We found a lovely converted barn on a farm just outside Porthtowan, where the owners had made it accessible, level access, wide doors, wet room, etc.  Both kids love it, the farm dog comes in and says hello, it’s nice and relaxing and a good base to head anywhere in Cornwall.  Porthtowan beach, although not the prettiest is fine to get Joe’s beach wheelchair on and off.  

For us, there’s something to be said for turning up somewhere, and not having to suss everything out, and the holiday starting the moment you arrive.

It takes a helluva lot of prep (and money) taking Joe’s wheelchair abroad, so we tend to do a big trip every few years, e.g. Oz, LA / Anaheim.

Has Joe just run over that bloke on your right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 09/03/2021 at 13:12, Alex_BCFC said:

I really hope you are wrong! I can't see justification for why if everyone has been offered vaccine and it works as it is working as it is right now. We know we have to accept x amounts of deaths - people die of all kinds of things and once this has been brought to an acceptable level then we have to accept the risk and carry on else pointless being alive. Might as well just be dead if we aren't willing to risk doing anything except working.

I agree and apparently No flu deaths this year so far....hhhmm smells a bit fishy to me

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Would imagine the simple thing to do would be pushing the midweek set of fixtures 3 from the end back to the weekend, being fair if the EFL was in the same position I'd expect them to do the same.

Trouble is they've extended the end of their season over the last few years and come October they'll all be complaining that they've not had a proper break!

Season can’t be extended for there are only 6 midweeks free for PL till end of season 

4 CL games 
Fa cup semi and final team rearranged fixtures need fitting in. 

If Tottenham make Europa league final and FA cup final they may well have 2 play 2 PL games one midweek.

Euros mid June all leagues must end by end of May.

Edited by wayne allisons tongues

12 hours ago, Midred said:

Just seen that one of the final rounds of the premier league matches are to be pushed back a week to enable the little darlings to have not one but two matches with up to 10,000 fans present. Bless!

Not sure I see the problem, surely we all want to see the Euro's hosted here (or as much as possible). From what I've heard from people in a position that may know, there's still a very real chance of the Euro's being hosted entirely here (and that particular company are planning for this).

To do so, we'll need to have conducted trial events and assessed the risk

On 25/11/2020 at 12:05, winsaw said:

Why that's not supported by any of the different scientific groups following the progress of the virus in this country most have models that show by the end of March it will be down to Almost 0 infections for the whole country so why do you think it would be so high in February

On 25/11/2020 at 12:20, winsaw said:

No scientists I can find online agree with that, most expect a small spike after Christmas but it go down very quickly as the virus will have picked by then and already on downward trend and aiming to see it naturally finishing towards the end of March

On 26/11/2020 at 19:25, MarcusX said:

If we’re anywhere near zero infections by March I’ll donate £50 to a charity of your choosing!

On 25/11/2020 at 16:21, BigTone said:

I doubt that very much TBH. Time will tell but I doubt too many of us really believe the virus will up sticks and retreat over the horizon never to be seen again any time soon unless the Easter Bunny has a cunning plan. Post again in March with the latest developments. £50 says it will still exist but something tells me you won't take up the bet.

Apologies, I’d forgotten about this.

Happy to make that donation @winsaw?

On 12/03/2021 at 23:56, Davefevs said:

Porthtowan is great. Many happy memories in the tidal pool when the kids were tiny. 

• Like 2

On 14/03/2021 at 19:28, wayne allisons tongues said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-56392670

Hopefully all goes well and crowds can  return from these test events.

So, when do we get to hear the results of the last two pilot events, testing the impact of larger, nearer to full capacity crowds? They were the Euros final and semis - the former at least anecdotally being a true “super spreader” event.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/england-fans-testing-positive-for-wembley-variant-soars-after-euros-final-281693/

And what will the results mean for grounds being allowed to open to full capacity at the start of the season?

Both questions asked decidedly tongue in cheek: my money is that Bozo’s determination to press ahead regardless of consequences will mean that these pilots are quietly forgotten. 

6 hours ago, italian dave said:

So, when do we get to hear the results of the last two pilot events, testing the impact of larger, nearer to full capacity crowds? They were the Euros final and semis - the former at least anecdotally being a true “super spreader” event.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/england-fans-testing-positive-for-wembley-variant-soars-after-euros-final-281693/

And what will the results mean for grounds being allowed to open to full capacity at the start of the season?

Both questions asked decidedly tongue in cheek: my money is that Bozo’s determination to press ahead regardless of consequences will mean that these pilots are quietly forgotten. 

Suspect we will hear eventually but only what they want us to hear. The test events seemed to be negative test before you go but voluntary testing after. So if no one goes for a test then positive rates will be low. Money talks and that will be the main leader. 

Found out today, that FA new Covid rules are if a player tests positive as long as rest of team don’t show symptoms then they are ok to play. which means games shouldn’t be called off very often if at all.

• Like 1

On 17/07/2021 at 23:20, wayne allisons tongues said:

Suspect we will hear eventually but only what they want us to hear. The test events seemed to be negative test before you go but voluntary testing after. So if no one goes for a test then positive rates will be low. Money talks and that will be the main leader. 

Found out today, that FA new Covid rules are if a player tests positive as long as rest of team don’t show symptoms then they are ok to play. which means games shouldn’t be called off very often if at all.

This is very anecdotal, and based on a handful of people I know that went to the semis and / or final. Every single one of them has had covid since.

I’m sure a few people will be along to tell us that stadiums and sports events are perfectly safe because of the protocols in place

1 minute ago, MarcusX said:

This is very anecdotal, and based on a handful of people I know that went to the semis and / or final. Every single one of them has had covid since.

I’m sure a few people will be along to tell us that stadiums and sports events are perfectly safe because of the protocols in place

Mate who went to the final got it he believes as a result (got it confirmed 5 days after). I went to the semi (as did he) and I didn’t get it afaik and neither did he. 

19 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Am I reading this right. If you’re not double jabbed by the end of September. You won’t be able to attend large venues . 

Yes.

Negative tests will no longer count for entry. Assume people who do not want the jab can ask for a refund on their season ticket as this wasn't a condition when it was purchased?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TheReds said:

Yes.

Negative tests will no longer count for entry. Assume people who do not want the jab can ask for a refund on their season ticket as this wasn't a condition when it was purchased?

From what I can tell, they haven't said either way for outdoor events *other than they haven't ruled it out*.

As far as refunds go, I would imagine that if asked, the club would make one, but equally they might say that it isn't their fault, blame the government.

Could make for some interesting section 75 claims.

6 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

From what I can tell, they haven't said either way for outdoor events *other than they haven't ruled it out*.

As far as refunds go, I would imagine that if asked, the club would make one, but equally they might say that it isn't their fault, blame the government.

Could make for some interesting section 75 claims.

From what the Business minister Kwasi Kwarteng said in Parliament earlier I thought that was exactly what he said, I only heard it once so maybe I have it incorrect. But I thought he said once every adult has had the chance to get both jabs which is the end of September, then after that it is mandatory to have a vaccine passport to get in to large events and a negative pass will not suffice.

Apologies if I have that wrong.

50 minutes ago, TheReds said:

Yes.

Anyone that has previously said they don't want the jab will have a sudden change of heart once they realise they won't be able to attend gigs/concerts, sporting events, late bars/nightclubs etc 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Anyone that has previously said they don't want the jab will have a sudden change of heart once they realise they won't be able to attend gigs/concerts, sporting events, late bars/nightclubs etc 

Out of interest are there any exemptions, asking for a friend ???

31 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Indeed. Always worth remembering that their are a small % of people not recommended to get the jab, although I suspect not the sort who would by and large risk large crowds anyway.

47 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Indeed, but I think is totally wrong. If I was young and healthy I certainly wouldn't be having/had the jab (especially if I had already tested positive previously). Next stop will be everyone has to have boosters to watch a gig, football, nightclub etc etc, then it will be for the flu, could be entry into shops, supermarkets etc. 

I wonder how much these Pharma companies and board members will be making out of all of this.

• Like 2
  • Flames 2