IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

You seem to be agreeing and disagreeing? 
Piles of people waiting to have their pass checked, all in a very close proximity to each other (if it’s anything like the queues I witnessed the last 2 games with the security checks). 
Encouraged to arrive early and stand in a packed indoor concourse. 
Both of those scenarios are bringing many more people much closer together than has been seen at every game to date. 
So, yes, it seems like the environment might be a more dangerous one this Saturday. 
I don’t find it funny at all. I find it dumbfoundingly idiotic. 

You wrote it was a 'more dangerous environment for covid', that's the virus, not punters who might get infected. Though not your intention that you wrote implied it was safer for attendees.

Queues outside are not of themselves an issue as considerate punters would remain masked, at 2m distances, with adequate ventilation and where transmission rates have been demonstrated to be negligible. Last two games Omicron wasn't an issue and from my late arrival perspective at the Dolman neither were queues as we simply walked straight in. Of course with the many F'Wits who follow City I appreciate that scenario is unlikely to materialise Saturday once additional (pointless) checks kick in.

Once inside the concourse, enclosed, little social distancing and masks removed whilst eating and drinking, that's a whole different ballgame.

1 minute ago, BTRFTG said:

You wrote it was a 'more dangerous environment for covid', that's the virus, not punters who might get infected. Though not your intention that you wrote implied it was safer for attendees.

Queues outside are not of themselves an issue as considerate punters would remain masked, at 2m distances, with adequate ventilation and where transmission rates have been demonstrated to be negligible. Last two games Omicron wasn't an issue and from my late arrival perspective at the Dolman neither were queues as we simply walked straight in. Of course with the many F'Wits who follow City I appreciate that scenario is unlikely to materialise Saturday once additional (pointless) checks kick in.

Once inside the concourse, enclosed, little social distancing and masks removed whilst eating and drinking, that's a whole different ballgame.

Yes. I wrote “a more dangerous environment for covid”. Meaning that by having more people in close proximity, in an indoor concourse, for longer, would mean a more dangerous environment for people to catch covid. 
You are arguing semantics. I’m sure you knew full well what I meant. How could it be more dangerous for the virus itself?? Weird way to have construed that. 

I just think it’s a very odd dichotomy for the club to have to enforce a covid pass, and yet have to encourage thousands of people to stand closer together indoors for longer. 
Someone will have to help me make sense as to how that’s a safer environment for people? It’s almost as if they believe that because everyone will have had a pass that there is no danger. Quite the opposite in fact. 

• Like 1

What are the new rules?

The government's 'Plan B' to fight the spread of Omicron was voted through - despite significant opposition from some Conservative MPs - on Tuesday.

For sport, this means:

• From Wednesday, a 'Covid pass' will be required for visitors to nightclubs, indoor unseated venues with more than 500 people, outdoor unseated venues with more than 4,000 people and any event with more than 10,000 people
  • Face masks will be required in more public settings - including sports stadiums, theatres and cinemas.

So everyone at AG on Saturday will be wearing face masks.

29 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

I do wonder if an enforced winter break maybe sensible, looking how the Omicron numbers are sharply rising today and set to double every two days you have to question the sense in allowing 1000s to congregate in close proximity. 

If it’s as bad as they say it is then what’s the point in continuing to allow mass events to operate, this is as bad as Cheltenham races! 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

What are the new rules?

The government's 'Plan B' to fight the spread of Omicron was voted through - despite significant opposition from some Conservative MPs - on Tuesday.

For sport, this means:

• From Wednesday, a 'Covid pass' will be required for visitors to nightclubs, indoor unseated venues with more than 500 people, outdoor unseated venues with more than 4,000 people and any event with more than 10,000 people
  • Face masks will be required in more public settings - including sports stadiums, theatres and cinemas.

So everyone at AG on Saturday will be wearing face masks.

So no requirement for indoor seated venues… or do the Tories have some strange reason to care rules that may influence theatres…

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dynamite Red said:

I do wonder if an enforced winter break maybe sensible, looking how the Omicron numbers are sharply rising today and set to double every two days you have to question the sense in allowing 1000s to congregate in close proximity. 

Would make sense but doubt it's a goer due to the number of games we play.

8 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

Anyone attending the game with your 2/3 vaccinations, feel free to enjoy the game and spread the virus so we don’t get a Xmas this year again with our families, you are not protected ! Time to wise up a bit and stop listening to the Boris bollox ! 

Indeed.  Surely the one and only thing that can gain you entry is a negative PCR/LF test….

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Would make sense but doubt it's a goer due to the number of games we play.

It would make sense, without a doubt. The problem would be the volume of fixtures, and also the timelines that need to be worked to with the Qatar World Cup taking place in December  

I’m pretty relaxed about covid in the main, I’ve been sensible but I’ve been perfectly happy to go to events etc. over the past couple of months. I am really wondering about going on Saturday though. Cases are rocketing, people will be crammed on concourses, and if you catch it this weekend you can forget about Christmas with the family. I’m really not sure it’s worth the risk. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Isawjonshaw said:

Indeed.  Surely the one and only thing that can gain you entry is a negative PCR/LF test….

Bunch of charlatans that will blame the hike in cases because of the unvaccinated but will spread it amongst themselves quite willingly. You are right , negative test or no entry at this point otherwise they are the ones to blame for the spread!  It’s Cheltenham races all over ... wake up folks ! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jacki said:

It would make sense, without a doubt. The problem would be the volume of fixtures, and also the timelines that need to be worked to with the Qatar World Cup taking place in December  

I’m pretty relaxed about covid in the main, I’ve been sensible but I’ve been perfectly happy to go to events etc. over the past couple of months. I am really wondering about going on Saturday though. Cases are rocketing, people will be crammed on concourses, and if you catch it this weekend you can forget about Christmas with the family. I’m really not sure it’s worth the risk. 

Agree, wonder if the clubs and EFL will consider removing blackout of 3pm games considering the  current spread of the virus 

Needs to go behind closed doors now sadly. We’ve clearly not got a handle on it so allowing 20,000+ to gather and mingle is insanity. Back to Robins TV for a bit. Sadly Boris will pussy foot around it for a month first to make sure we’re really in the shit, then act.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jacki said:

Completely with you and I’m seriously questioning if it’s worth the hassle and risk of going this Saturday.  In normal circumstances I would definitely go, but we’ve got the whole family coming over for Christmas dinner and I really don’t think standing in a massive queue to watch 90 + minutes of probably shit football is worth screwing up Christmas for.

Things are moving so fast at the moment, it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if it was decided to suspend this weekend’s matches.  

With the rate doubling every couple of days, we could be looking at 150,000 new infections a day by Saturday.  This could lead to a few more matches postponed due to covid in the squad anyway, so that may make the decision for the authorities anyway.

F*****G virus ?

10 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Completely with you and I’m seriously questioning if it’s worth the hassle and risk of going this Saturday.  In normal circumstances I would definitely go, but we’ve got the whole family coming over for Christmas dinner and I really don’t think standing in a massive queue to watch 90 + minutes of probably shit football is worth screwing up Christmas for.

Things are moving so fast at the moment, it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if it was decided to suspend this weekend’s matches.  

With the rate doubling every couple of days, we could be looking at 150,000 new infections a day by Saturday.  This could lead to a few more matches postponed due to covid in the squad anyway, so that may make the decision for the authorities anyway.

F*****G virus ?

Would be amassed if there were 10,000 there Saturday and crowds around the country seeing the same drop off.

Of coarse Christmas being the main driver but also the unknow outcome of this strain also playing on peoples minds.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Would be amassed if there were 10,000 there Saturday and crowds around the country seeing the same drop off.

Of coarse Christmas being the main driver but also the unknow outcome of this strain also playing on peoples minds.

I am going to keep an eye on the number of cases being reported and how quickly they are growing in % terms between now and Saturday, I'm going to make a decision Saturday morning if it is worth going or not.

Especially as if you do catch it, that's Christmas ruined.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I am going to keep an eye on the number of cases being reported and how quickly they are growing in % terms between now and Saturday, I'm going to make a decision Saturday morning if it is worth going or not.

Especially as if you do catch it, that's Christmas ruined.

Think today is the cut off for Christmas, my son has it tested posative  yesterday and rough with it, but no one else in his family did.

****** minefield.

23 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

100% this and was thinking much the same.  

With the ST’s counted anyway, the official figure won’t be that low, but you can bet this will be easily the smallest league gate of the season if you did an actual head count on the day.

4 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Think today is the cut off for Christmas, my son has it tested posative  yesterday and rough with it, but no one else in his family did.

****** minefield.

Hope your son gets over it very quickly and it doesn’t mess up Christmas for him and his family.

Trouble is with this virus, there’s a few days delay between being infected until it actually shows up on a test.  That allows it to be spread unnoticed, which is why it’s practically impossible to get on top of, as it’s always one step ahead. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Hope your son gets over it very quickly and it doesn’t mess up Christmas for him and his family.

Trouble is with this virus, there’s a few days delay between being infected until it actually shows up on a test.  That allows it to be spread unnoticed, which is why it’s practically impossible to get on top of, as it’s always one step ahead. 

Unless you close schools and offices it is pointless doing any of these other measures as their affect on slowing it down are miniscule.

Just for show and reassurance.

There will be a full lock down in January.

Edited by VT05763

13 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Unless you close schools and offices it is pointless doing any of these other measures as their affect on slowing it down are miniscule.

Just for show and reassurance.

There will be a full lock down in January.

I reckon we’d only get another lockdown as an absolute last resort.  The previous ones proved they don’t actually prevent infections and just delay them.  The only benefit would be the possibility of getting more booster jabs done.

Even if we had a lockdown tonight, you can guarantee there are tens of thousands who are already infected, who don’t even know yet and probably won’t test positive for another week, so the numbers would still grow massively anyway.

The tipping pount could be if the infection rate translates into massive numbers of hospital admissions and the NHS really looks like collapsing.

You can see the logic of trying to ride this out if possible, as you just can’t keep locking down. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

I reckon we’d only get another lockdown as an absolute last resort.  The previous ones proved they don’t actually prevent infections and just delay them.  The only benefit would be the possibility of getting more booster jabs done.

Even if we had a lockdown tonight, you can guarantee there are tens of thousands who are already infected, who don’t even know yet and probably won’t test positive for another week, so the numbers would still grow massively anyway.

The tipping pount could be if the infection rate translates into massive numbers of hospital admissions and the NHS really looks like collapsing.

You can see the logic of trying to ride this out if possible, as you just can’t keep locking down. 

I’d argue the lockdowns weren’t that much of a lockdown anyway.  Did it really stop people doing that much?  Not in my eyes.

As for Saturday, bought a ticket for my dad, so I could take him (his 80th last week), but I’m pretty sure by the time Friday comes around, I’ll have decided not to take him, nor go myself.  I don’t care about the £25 for his ticket.  I know not everyone can be that blasé about it.

• Like 1