IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

11 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Save there no evidence, unlike the Liverpool Vs Athletico fixture, that Cheltenham acted as a super-spreader event. The media, for media reasons, loved the 'Local Landlord Dies' / 'Footy Tipster Charlie Austin Get Covid' headlines though given all else that was going on there's no evidence to suggest the festival was a hotspot. We went 3 days that week and other than those celebs in the paper know of nobody who contracted the virus that week. Folks did, but whether that was at the festival or elsewhere that month, who knows?

There's also nothing charlatan in highlighting the spread of the virus is largely due to unvaccinated infections - they are, hence the recent Delta surge when schools went back. Vaccinated folks can get infected but their viral payload is vastly diminished and thus less likely to spread.

As for testing, it's a useful tool but impractical. LTFs are in short supply, not always accurate and are best reserved for those who've been in close contact with an infected person. I also know if no PCR  facility near AG that could process the volume of tests required, if that's the route you wish to take, not folks would stump up the £100 or so to simply get into the ground.

It’s pretty obvious Cheltenham shouldn’t have happened in the context of the situation at the time. In hindsight it’s luck if it wasn’t a “super spreader” event

Thatvsaid I’m sure I seen links posted on here about the upturn in covid cases in Ireland being linked to Cheltenham?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TRUEBRIT66 said:

If you were sat at home on furlough it probably felt like it but millions in this country still had to work so for some it didn't feel much like a lockdown. 

I was still going to work and it absolutely felt like a lockdown. Going to work and then not being able to do anything to unwind was awful, my mental health seriously suffered in Feb/March.

9 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

That’s the bit that I found confusing, they’ve not said Omicron at all to me. If it that then the isolation rules are a lot stricter. My wife, brother and sister in law had a text saying they’ve been with someone tested positive but only told to get a PCR (which they already have done) if negative no restrictions. 
The test centre said they don’t say which variant it is, so no idea when the find out if it’s Delta or Omicron. 

One other thing, the press like to make out that no one can get a test due to demand, but none of us had to queue, it was empty there. 

No isolation rules have changed so they are the same regardless of the strain (assuming you’re in England). If you’re a contact you must take daily tests for 7 days - it’s not just one PCR and done 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-54239922

48 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

It’s pretty obvious Cheltenham shouldn’t have happened in the context of the situation at the time. In hindsight it’s luck if it wasn’t a “super spreader” event

Thatvsaid I’m sure I seen links posted on here about the upturn in covid cases in Ireland being linked to Cheltenham?

I still think our last pre-lockdown game v Fulham could be classed as a super spreader.

I`m fully expecting an announcement tomorrow morning from the PL/EFL saying that all Premier League and Championship games are to be postponed. A lot of clubs will be travelling tomorrow so they`ll need some clarity. What happens with the lower leagues who knows - I saw somewhere that Ipswich v Sunderland was a 30k sellout which will be a bigger crowd than most Championship and even some Premier League games.

2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

What happens with the lower leagues who knows - I saw somewhere that Ipswich v Sunderland was a 30k sellout which will be a bigger crowd than most Championship and even some Premier League games.

It would certainly be a shame if this match were to be postponed.

Following an impressively quick and vigorous selection process, Mr Ashton was intending to present his newly signed manager from Manchester United no less, the wonderful human being and up and coming star coach, Kieran McKenna.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

It would certainly be a shame if this match were to be postponed.

Following an impressively quick and vigorous selection process, Mr Ashton was intending to present his newly signed manager from Manchester United no less, the wonderful human being and up and coming star coach, Kieran McKenna.

But does Kieran have pillars?

11 hours ago, MarcusX said:

I was still going to work and it absolutely felt like a lockdown. Going to work and then not being able to do anything to unwind was awful, my mental health seriously suffered in Feb/March.

I did say "for some". We are all different I'm sure if you are a "social animal" the lockdown was hell and I'm sorry to hear you suffered. Personally the football was the last thing I missed, so much so I will probably never attend a live game again not because of Covid I just didnt miss it. 

I presume you would be vehemently against another lockdown based on your experience ?   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TRUEBRIT66 said:

I did say "for some". We are all different I'm sure if you are a "social animal" the lockdown was hell and I'm sorry to hear you suffered. Personally the football was the last thing I missed, so much so I will probably never attend a live game again not because of Covid I just didnt miss it. 

I presume you would be vehemently against another lockdown based on your experience ?   

That's a shame that you didnt miss football. Personally would describe myself in that way but the gym and playing football are my two "outlets", so losing them was difficult.

There would have to be good reasoning for a lockdown, but personally I don't want to see one again. I think as others said the first one wasnt too bad because of the "novelty" but doing it in the winter, and whilst still going to work was awful

• Like 2

Just read a report that 25% of EFL players are not jabbed.

Why the hell does a footballer thinks he knows better than the scientists

Hope our lot, given the torrid time NP had had with the virus, are all jabbed

Anyway we shall know soon enough if we call off matches.

If anyone from club management reads this, and we do have no jabbed players, perhaps they could arrange for medical experts to talk to players.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

If anyone from club management reads this, and we do have no jabbed players, perhaps they could arrange for medical experts to talk to players.

NP spoke about this just yesterday, we have a very high percentage of players who are jabbed.  

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

Given that aerobic capacity is so important to their job you'd think they would get it.

Perhaps they could learn from Joshua Kimmich who refused vaccination and now has lung damage. Now he intends to get vaccinated. Better late than never I suppose.

I really DO NOT get this?   Spectators will have to show a Vaccination passport to attend an EFL game..........however a player who is one of the 25 % un -vaccinated is allowed into the stadium and dressing rooms?  Endangering his team mates and potentially spreading the virus.?   Am i missing something?

5 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I really DO NOT get this?   Spectators will have to show a Vaccination passport to attend an EFL game..........however a player who is one of the 25 % un -vaccinated is allowed into the stadium and dressing rooms?  Endangering his team mates and potentially spreading the virus.?   Am i missing something?

For a footballer, it’s their place of work. They can’t work from home. 

Brentford are reportedly one of the PL clubs with the highest vaccination rates but their game this weekend has been called off after 13 players and staff tested positive.

While things like that are happening I don't think there is a strong case that it's the unvaccinated's fault, scapegoating them and pushing towards mandatory vaccinations is completely unethical (especially when outbreaks can clearly still occur either way).

Apparently most City players are jabbed but it should remain personal choice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

For a footballer, it’s their place of work. They can’t work from home. 

You are seriously missing my Point......with your glib comment, that does not address the issue of responsibility and selfishness?  If they are not vaccinated, IMHO they should not be allowed to play.

Just now, maxjak said:

You are seriously missing my Point......with your glib comment, that does not address the issue of responsibility and selfishness?  If they are not vaccinated, IMHO they should not be allowed to play.

Is the same to be said for doctors and nurses? 
I’m pro vaccine, I’ve had all mine but I feel there shouldn’t be mandatory vaccinations and no one should be barred, especially when fit and able to, from working. 

Just now, Betty Swallocks said:

Is the same to be said for doctors and nurses? 
I’m pro vaccine, I’ve had all mine but I feel there shouldn’t be mandatory vaccinations and no one should be barred, especially when fit and able to, from working. 

Even if it means spreading the virus? , surely it should be about the greater good?   I am all for personal choice and freedom....but not when the actions of an individual jeopardise's'   the well being and health of the general population.  I personally find that selfish and irresponsible.

3 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Even if it means spreading the virus? , surely it should be about the greater good?   I am all for personal choice and freedom....but not when the actions of an individual jeopardise's'   the well being and health of the general population.  I personally find that selfish and irresponsible.

You can have all 3 jabs and still spread the virus. 
I’m sure I have people who sit in my office who have decided not to get the jab, would I want them banished from the office? No of course not.

I’m not sure how you can do that from a legal point of view either. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Although lateral flow tests can be very good at detecting infectiousness and regular Lateral Flow Tests and I mean regular if done correctly should detect this.

45 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Am glad your not in position of power, you have no idea what your talking about

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

You can have all 3 jabs and still spread the virus. 
I’m sure I have people who sit in my office who have decided not to get the jab, would I want them banished from the office? No of course not.

I’m not sure how you can do that from a legal point of view either. 

Spot on, there claims already won and more to come. Solicitors are inundated with claims