IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

3 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Tories and killing people. Who knew?

I do take the virus seriously but please roger head hat your story is better than a story on play school 50 years ago. What credible info is there that 70 flights from a quarantined area of Italy landed in the uk and the passengers were not screened. If you have this info please share it for clarification. 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I don't think our approach is sensible as it could be. We're approaching this in a very reactive way rather than proactive.  

Italy are trying to stay one step ahead of coronavius by shutting schools and large events. We're reacting slowly and I don't see schools etc being closed until its too late. It'll probably happen no matter what, but the spread can be slowed which is the main thing to help hospitals 

It's okay! Boris is having a chat with the Cobra committee today.

He'll be sure to have a winning strategy up his sleeve. And if not, he probably has a tissue up his sleeve, just to be on the safe side.

Last week they went for phase 2, which seemed to be slowing down the spead of the virus, but given that cases seem to double every couple of days, I won't be surprised if they make a few more suggestions to try and slow it down further. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I don't think our approach is sensible as it could be. We're approaching this in a very reactive way rather than proactive.  

Italy are trying to stay one step ahead of coronavius by shutting schools and large events. We're reacting slowly and I don't see schools etc being closed until its too late. It'll probably happen no matter what, but the spread can be slowed which is the main thing to help hospitals 

Doesn't help when you've got a part-time Prime Minister who isn't exactly renowned for his work ethic or attention to detail. 

Third world countries like Cambodia and Ghana are already screening people coming back into their respective countries. We're letting thousands of people fly back into the country from infected areas with no checks whatsoever. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yep, I've read that too but the bottom line is it's here and spreading pretty quickly. The only way to contain it will therefore be by self-isolation, quarantine and cancellation of large gatherings. 

I can't believe the government haven't insisted upon screening people returning from infected areas. That may be looked back on as a big mistake. 

I do thanks, and they don't all agree. However, employing common sense leads me to the above conclusion. 

If some sort of lockdown commences in a couple of weeks over the Easter football schedule you could see seems having 3 or more games cancelled. If that happens it's difficult to see how the season could be completed without extending it.

There are four spaces midweek between now and the end of the season I believe so surely we could fill them in if a few games get cancelled?  Sure if it comes to it a one week extension is very achievable.

Still don’t think the season will be cancelled 

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Doesn't help when you've got a part-time Prime Minister who isn't exactly renowned for his work ethic or attention to detail. 

Third world countries like Cambodia and Ghana are already screening people coming back into their respective countries. We're letting thousands of people fly back into the country from infected areas with no checks whatsoever. 

Don't worry, it'll be a Gangbusters plan

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

There are four spaces midweek between now and the end of the season I believe so surely we could fill them in if a few games get cancelled?  Sure if it comes to it a one week extension is very achievable.

Too much money at stake for the season to be cancelled.

Who gets promoted, who gets relegated and all of that sort of thing. Plus clubs would be reliant on the income to pay players between now and the end of the season/start of the next one.

9 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Surely there is more likelihood of games behind closed doors rather than all out cancellations, in any case?

• Like 5

On 07/03/2020 at 21:24, Chappers said:

Just Google Hong Kong flu, a pandemic in 1968, very similar to this, minus the panic, press and bog roll hoarding. There have been a few flu strains over the years, Spanish flu in 1918 being the worst. Just seems to be a natural occurrence, but nowadays we have 24/7 media to scare us. 

Not just the 24/7 media - the traditional media are just as bad: have you seen the Express headline today? 'Shops to ration food' - is there anything more likely to cause panic buying?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

It's okay! Boris is having a chat with the Cobra committee today.

He'll be sure to have a winning strategy up his sleeve.

Time for the three word soundbite. 'Beat the virus', or some such. And if that fails, blame immigrants/claimants/the EU - that usually works...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Time for the three word soundbite. 'Beat the virus', or some such. And if that fails, blame immigrants/claimants/the EU - that usually works...

I just think people need to believe  in beating the virus more.

After all, this seems to be the strategy for leaving the EU.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, City oz said:

I do take the virus seriously but please roger head hat your story is better than a story on play school 50 years ago. What credible info is there that 70 flights from a quarantined area of Italy landed in the uk and the passengers were not screened. If you have this info please share it for clarification. 

Daily Mail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8090403/Travelers-flying-Italy-face-NO-screenings-land.html

Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/08/coronavirus-foreign-office-advice-over-italy-confuses-british-holidaymakers

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, City oz said:

I suggest you remove your head from your bottom.

I also suggest you research the results of the tory imposed austerity on the UK population, particularly Duncan Smiths pet policy of UC. The information is widely available and confirms that the tories are a callous bunch of bastards.

Edited by Roger Red Hat
  • Like 6

29 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

I was listening to Radio 5 late last night, and there was a call with a couple from Scotland who had that night flown from Milan to Edinburgh, and claimed they had faced no checks on the drive from Lombardy to Milan-Malpensa or on arrival into the UK. It was established that the advice on Public Health England contradicted that on the Scottish equivalent: the former advised all passengers arriving from the region self-isolate, the latter advised only if coming from a level-1 risk area (which they had not). Not a good sign of overall management if even those bodies can't get on the same page.

• Like 3

Was looking around at how one or two other countries dealt/deal with it, or have so far.

Picked one at random with a very low number of cases. Armenia has one- apparently shut border with Iran etc, suspended Visa free regime with China at end of January on a temp basis, put 30 people who the first guy had direct contact with into quarantine...seems that case is/has been the one and only. Possibly can be sealed off somewhat if measures taken pretty well instantly. Guess that China suspension thing will be quite open-ended.

https://armenpress.am/eng/news/1007179/

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Really not helpful to have political points scoring on this thread.

I agree in the main. But I think regardless of your political persuasion, the messages from our elected leaders have been peculiar.

From nothing of any note from the opposition to those in power seemingly doing little to reassure people.

Same applies to the press who have encouraged people to push the panic button.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Surely there is more likelihood of games behind closed doors rather than all out cancellations, in any case?

Possibly, but that still assumes that the playing staff/coaching staff are prepared to take the risk and then presumably self-isolate to avoid passing onto their loved ones who could be vulnerable.

On 06/03/2020 at 23:03, RedDave said:

Well that is the percentage of the UK that has had the virus so far as I understand it. About 170-odd cases. 

The flaw in your logic there Dave is that your completely made up figure could only possibly be considered accurate if the entire population had been tested.  As it stands, we're looking at approximately 300 out of 20,000 tested have had positive results.  Meaning that it's actually showing at around 1.5% infection.   With the greatest of respect, if you're going to throw figures round at least consider the context first.

Edited by Steve Watts
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

PSG vs Dortmund will be played behind closed doors this week...  That will certainly be the starting point over here rather than all out cancellations I'd imagine.

21 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Possibly, but that still assumes that the playing staff/coaching staff are prepared to take the risk and then presumably self-isolate to avoid passing onto their loved ones who could be vulnerable.

Are we talking about two different things here? 

I'd understood the logic behind cancelling matches was around cancelling large scale events to reduce the chance of it being passed on,. If we're actually saying 50-60 people cannot be in a stadium at the same for a closed doors game, wouldn't that only kick in at a point where any meeting or congregation of, say, 30 or more people was being cancelled? Otherwise what would be the logic of cancelling football matches but allowing work meetings, church services, school lessons etc to go ahead when it would involve a similar number of people being in the same place at the same time?

• Like 1

Can someone explain after Phase 2 ‘Delay’, what Phase 3 ‘Research’ is?

I should bleeding hope we are researching our arses off to find what, why, how and now FFS!!!

Government shambles to date, not quite on a par to the Chinese mind, which seemingly due to their insanely cruel live wildlife trade and/or witch-doctor potions derived from killing endangered animals seem to be responsible for this crisis.

10 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Are we talking about two different things here? 

I'd understood the logic behind cancelling matches was around cancelling large scale events to reduce the chance of it being passed on,. If we're actually saying 50-60 people cannot be in a stadium at the same for a closed doors game, wouldn't that only kick in at a point where any meeting or congregation of, say, 30 or more people was being cancelled? Otherwise what would be the logic of cancelling football matches but allowing work meetings, church services, school lessons etc to go ahead when it would involve a similar number of people being in the same place at the same time?

I meant if someone involved in a specific game had come into contact with, or potentially come into contact with the virus. Apologies, should have mentioned that. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, glos old boy said:

media says bog rolls are being panic bought and shelves are empty, but please dont panic buy them; so everyone panic buys as to be not left without any.:doh: was the same for many other dont panic buy things including petrol etc.

You are right re winter flu/virus strains, meanwhile real killers like cancers hardly get a mention unless its someone important.

The media will turn its attention somewhere or to someone else in a few weeks.

In a few weeks there'll be little else to talk about

19 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Can someone explain after Phase 2 ‘Delay’, what Phase 3 ‘Research’ is?

I should bleeding hope we are researching our arses off to find what, why, how and now FFS!!!

Government shambles to date, not quite on a par to the Chinese mind, which seemingly due to their insanely cruel live wildlife trade and/or witch-doctor potions derived from killing endangered animals seem to be responsible for this crisis.

I'd guess - though I don't know - that we are researching now but the "research" phase is finding out as much as we possibly can about what works and what doesn't work in terms of treating and preventing the disease once it is spread in the community. Because of the number of patients currently in the UK, I'd imagine most of the research is theoretical or based on overseas cases rather than directly observing and treating cases in the UK, which is what I would guess the research phase is. 

1 hour ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I was listening to Radio 5 late last night, and there was a call with a couple from Scotland who had that night flown from Milan to Edinburgh, and claimed they had faced no checks on the drive from Lombardy to Milan-Malpensa or on arrival into the UK. It was established that the advice on Public Health England contradicted that on the Scottish equivalent: the former advised all passengers arriving from the region self-isolate, the latter advised only if coming from a level-1 risk area (which they had not). Not a good sign of overall management if even those bodies can't get on the same page.

You have to wonder, with the recycled air on planes how they have managed to find pilots and crew for these journeys!