IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

3 hours ago, Sturny said:

I don't think our approach is sensible as it could be. We're approaching this in a very reactive way rather than proactive.  

Italy are trying to stay one step ahead of coronavius by shutting schools and large events. We're reacting slowly and I don't see schools etc being closed until its too late. It'll probably happen no matter what, but the spread can be slowed which is the main thing to help hospitals 

Not really helped Italy thus far though has it in all fairness!

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Doesn't help when you've got a part-time Prime Minister who isn't exactly renowned for his work ethic or attention to detail. 

Third world countries like Cambodia and Ghana are already screening people coming back into their respective countries. We're letting thousands of people fly back into the country from infected areas with no checks whatsoever. 

Oh deary me. We know this for a fact do we? 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Was looking around at how one or two other countries dealt/deal with it, or have so far.

Picked one at random with a very low number of cases. Armenia has one- apparently shut border with Iran etc, suspended Visa free regime with China at end of January on a temp basis, put 30 people who the first guy had direct contact with into quarantine...seems that case is/has been the one and only. Possibly can be sealed off somewhat if measures taken pretty well instantly. Guess that China suspension thing will be quite open-ended.

https://armenpress.am/eng/news/1007179/

One country reducing its intake of Chinese is never a bad thing. Lovely people the Armenians. 

Was listening to Piers Moron this morning, what a complete tool. Scaremongering of the highest order and wanting all the big futile gestures rather that a pragmatic approach.

Pity our media can’t get as worked up about the deaths due to DWP reforms and austerity.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

One country reducing its intake of Chinese is never a bad thing. Lovely people the Armenians. 

Well yes it has, it could've be much much worse if they didn't quarantine as soon as they did. Same goes for Wuhan in China, it's the only reason it's stabilised over there.

Since Italy's average age is higher than most paces it made sense. 

I recommend watching this doctor, he gives you an idea of how important some measures are:

Edited by Sturny
  • Like 1

Yes, it has. In the absence of a vaccine the only way of fully containing a virus spreading is to quarantine. This is fairly basic stuff...

Yes. Yes, we do.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes, it has. In the absence of a vaccine the only way of fully containing a virus spreading is to quarantine. This is fairly basic stuff...

Yes. Yes, we do.

Wow... You must be an extraordinarily important person. You must be Dominic Cummings. 

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I'm surprised certain measures haven't been taken, but I believe the government are being guided by the Chief Medical Officer.

I agree with this. I'm surprised that people are not being scanned at airports and that the threshold for self-isolation is set higher than I would expect but I don't know the science and, whilst it may be that we are failing to do things that would help restrict the spread, it may also be that some measures simply aren't as effective as they appear. For example, I don't know whether the screening is effective before people come symptomatic and, if not, the logic may be that it does not make sense to falsely reassure people they are not ill when they still could be.

I had a bit of a scare last week - in short, it turned out I had been in a room with someone who may have been in the same workplace as someone who was confirmed to have Coronavirus. I rang the Public Health England line for guidance and was basically told that the risk of infection is very low unless you've had someone coughing and spluttering in your very direct vicinity for ten minutes or more, and I read earlier there is little evidence that people are transmitting the disease during the incubation period. Obviously expert opinions differ depending on where you read them but, even though this illness infects more people than flu, the average person is infecting around 2 other people. That is not a small number but, when you think how many people each of us come into contact with every day, it shows that even people with the illness are infecting a tiny fraction of the people they come into contact with. So vigilance is important but the chances of being infected on public transport or at an event are still very low and the vast majority of people will be infected by friends or family members. 

Edited by LondonBristolian

28 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I've spoken to people who worked for the Greater London Authority when Boris was Mayor. They tell me he had a tendency not to show up to work all that often and his duties were largely neglected as a result. I've seen and read others say the same.

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, !james said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51796072

Remaining in "Containment" stage, nothing to see here... 

Let's see how this ages:

"Measures to delay the virus's spread with "social distancing" measures will not be introduced yet, ministers decided.

Number 10 said it accepted that the virus "is going to spread in a significant way", however.

Banning big events and closing schools were said to have been considered."

15 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes, it has. In the absence of a vaccine the only way of fully containing a virus spreading is to quarantine. This is fairly basic stuff.

Perhaps so but the fact remains Italy reacted rather late in this regard. That of course does not mean I agree with their quarantining. 

At the end of the day we have two choices here... We let it run its course by as many common sense measures as possible or we shut down the world the latter of which seems to be China and Italy's approach. Not saying either is right or wrong for any given country. What we do know is that this is not the bubonic plague and since it is not a sensible measured response is better and will be proved so in my opinion.

For people to come on here and purport to know more than the govt and to throw silly politicised remarks around like half a working week is rather churlish.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I've spoken to people who worked for the Greater London Authority when Boris was Mayor. They tell me he had a tendency not to show up to work all that often and his duties were largely neglected as a result. I've seen and read others say the same.

Anecdotal remarks do not prove anything. Surely you are smart enough to take such remarks with a pinch of salt. I read that the current Mayor is obstinate, dogmatic and has his hand significantly in the till. Do I believe it? Of course not. I take it with a huge pinch of salt.

And btw, home working? How ironic you raise that when the govt is encouraging just the same. Perhaps Boris has been fond of it for decades and perhaps it had passed your attention that he lives and works at number 10 so unless you have a spy I put it to you that you know little to nothing about how many hours he puts in on a daily basis. Probably a darn site more than both you and me.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I agree with this. I'm surprised that people are not being scanned at airports and that the threshold for self-isolation is set higher than I would expect but I don't know the science and, whilst it may be that we are failing to do things that would help restrict the spread, it may also be that some measures simply aren't as effective as they appear. For example, I don't know whether the screening is effective before people come symptomatic and, if not, the logic may be that it does not make sense to falsely reassure people they are not ill when they still could be.

I had a bit of a scare last week - in short, it turned out I had been in a room with someone who may have been in the same workplace as someone who was confirmed to have Coronavirus. I rang the Public Health England line for guidance and was basically told that the risk of infection is very low unless you've had someone coughing and spluttering in your very direct vicinity for ten minutes or more, and I read earlier there is little evidence that people are transmitting the disease during the incubation period. Obviously expert opinions differ depending on where you read them but, even though this illness infects more people than flu, the average person is infecting around 2 other people. That is not a small number but, when you think how many people each of us come into contact with every day, it shows that even people with the illness are infecting a tiny fraction of the people they come into contact with. So vigilance is important but the chances of being infected on public transport or at an event are still very low and the vast majority of people will be infected by friends or family members. 

The sad reality is that there just isn't enough data yet for anyone to even be an expert on this strain...  let alone have an expert opinion.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Perhaps so but the fact remains Italy reacted rather late in this regard. That of course does not mean I agree with their quarantining. 

At the end of the day we have two choices here... We let it run its course by as many common sense measures as possible or we shut down the world the latter of which seems to be China and Italy's approach. Not saying either is right or wrong for any given country. What we do know is that this is not the bubonic plague and since it is not a sensible measured response is better and will be proved so in my opinion.

For people to come on here and purport to know more than the govt and to throw silly politicised remarks around like half a working week is rather churlish.

I love how you put these two sentences in the same post.

Edited by Sturny
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

• Admin
25 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I had a bit of a scare last week - in short, it turned out I had been in a room with someone who may have been in the same workplace as someone who was confirmed to have Coronavirus. I rang the Public Health England line for guidance and was basically told that the risk of infection is very low unless you've had someone coughing and spluttering in your very direct vicinity

There's VERY good reason why these checks are not in place and not required, sadly common sense has massively gone out of the window due to the constant bombardment of updates on the virus. 

Sky were almost tweeting hourly every time another case was found yesterday 

At present 319 cases CONFIRMED out of a population of 67 MILLION in the UK 

Assume people realise that you are more likely to win the lottery 

No personal offence to LB above but from reading the above you had NO CHANCE of catching the virus but due to the hysteria created by the press it made you doubt yourself. THIS is why there is so much widespread panic about 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

That's a "choice" that has and will continue to result in people dying. Or, we could minimise cases and deaths by taking some pretty simple measures that would inconvenience people's lives for a few weeks. It appears to be a fairly straightforward choice to me. I accept it is possible that the virus simply fizzles out and the number of cases drops off, however my view would be why take the chance? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, phantom said:

There's VERY good reason why these checks are not in place and not required, sadly common sense has massively gone out of the window due to the constant bombardment of updates on the virus. 

No personal offence to LB above but from reading the above you had NO CHANCE of catching the virus but due to the hysteria created by the press it made you doubt yourself. THIS is why there is so much widespread panic about 

Again.....skewing facts by using unrelated figures.  Whilst it's not incorrect to say 319 cases confirmed out of a population of 67 million, the more accurate description of the fact is that it's actually 319 cases confirmed out of approximately 20,000 people tested.  It's like saying that if you were to hold a poll on here about whether you wanted Rovers to go bust and 100% of 50 voters said yes, then the Rovers fans would be able to say "yeah, but it's only 50 people out of 67 million in this country - everyone else obviously loves us"! 

You're basically applying gas logic to your argument!

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

17 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Italy just quarantined 16,000,000 people and you’re still trying to portray this as a media-driven storm in a tea cup?

Coughs and sneezes spread colds/virus`s, its not rocket science use a hanky and wash your hands, and the media are sh1t stirrers always have been always will be.

22 minutes ago, phantom said:

No offence taken at all. To be honest, it was less that I doubted myself and more than I am a lodger at the moment and had to ring 111 to reassure the people I lived with. Plus I work with some people who might be more vulnerable so felt a duty to check before turning up in work. In reality I felt pretty relaxed over the info I had found online...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Again.....skewing facts by using unrelated figures.  Whilst it's not incorrect to say 319 cases confirmed out of a population of 67 million, the more accurate description of the fact is that it's actually 319 cases confirmed out of approximately 20,000 people tested.  It's like saying that if you were to hold a poll on here about whether you wanted Rovers to go bust and 100% of 50 voters said yes, then the Rovers fans would be able to say "yeah, but it's only 50 people out of 67 million in this country - everyone else obviously loves us"! 

and 3 is it have died, who were old and had underlying conditions, this is not a if you get this virus you will die epi/pandemic most will get flu like symptons and recover     ? DONT PANIC

Edited by glos old boy

32 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Anecdotal remarks do not prove anything. Surely you are smart enough to take such remarks with a pinch of salt. I read that the current Mayor is obstinate, dogmatic and has his hand significantly in the till. Do I believe it? Of course not. I take it with a huge pinch of salt.

And btw, home working? How ironic you raise that when the govt is encouraging just the same. Perhaps Boris has been fond of it for decades and perhaps it had passed your attention that he lives and works at number 10 so unless you have a spy I put it to you that you know little to nothing about how many hours he puts in on a daily basis. Probably a darn site more than both you and me.

Anecdotal remarks prove nothing but several people making the exact same remark about his commitment to the role are suggestive. Nobody implied he was home working, by the way. They implied he simply had no interest in the day to day activity of doing a job. I have no idea how many hours he puts in but I do know lots of people who do know all seem to indicate virtually the same thing.

This thread should not be about politics, of course, so not going to go any further into this. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Red DNA said:

Another COBRA meeting today and looking ominous that major sporting events and other social distancing measures  will be introduced? 

Bad news for the Sags on social distancing - no more marrying your sisters?

I bet Cheltenham goes ahead as normal

12 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

But you cannot extrapolate those figures to the whole population either. Those approximately 20,000 that have been tested are by definition more likely to have the virus than the general population (i.e. they wouldn't have been tested if they weren't).

So, saying that there is a 1.5% infection rate (319 out of 20k), is equally as wrong as saying that it's a 0.00053% infection rate (319 out of 60m). 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

OK, 319 out of 20000 is 1.6% 

So, if that infection rate is applied to the whole UK population of 60 MILLION then 960k are going to get it. If you apply a mortality rate of 1% then 9600 will sadly die but that is pretty much on a par with the number of deaths from various strains of influenza each year and this is largely unreported.

• Like 3