IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

13 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A sign of things to come?

I'm aware some companies are just ignoring contracts at the moment and withholding payments and going cap in hand to their suppliers citing "Force Majeure", but really, for a £100m contract it's pretty pathetic if they didn't have explicit terms providing for what should happen if there are delays to the fixtures even of this kind. Bet the lawyer still got paid a fortune to draft it.

And also, part of me finds it quite funny that foreign broadcasters that English football has whored itself out to so readily, would just pull the plug like that. I know with the FA Cup even fans aren't paying yet for remaining rounds, but in general supporters likely have left their season ticket and pre-purchased ticket money in the pot in far larger proportions than the broadcasters. 

Useful reminder of who has and always will support football - even if clubs haven't always prioritised us...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This #playerstogether thing; 

my understanding is that the players on the whole don’t want a pay cut as by paying them full pay they will be taxed more so contribute to the NHS. If their pay were to be cut then the NHS loses out. So they are being paid full pay and then deciding themselves IF and how much they want to donate, ok fair enough...

BUT THE MONEY TO PAY THEM HAS TO COME FROM SOMEWHERE!!!

The clubs have no income, out still outgoings. They have thousands of pounds of stock sat around that will be almost useless if the season doesn’t resume, ie shirts etc with old sponsors and designs. Possibly food and drink will be out of date ( Gas won’t care ?). Some staff if not furloughed are still being paid,  I guess stuff like pitch maintainence is still being done, the grass must grow like crazy this time of year.

Hard to see where clubs are saving money apart from less electricity and stationary for example being used. I know hospitality has been refunded ( husbands workmate got refunded almost immediately), and match tickets too. Maybe sponsors want a portion back, or discount on next season. Yes there have been some ST sales which would be the case for most clubs I guess, if they managed to get theirs on sale before this all blew up, but there certainly isn’t much money coming in.

So how do some of these #playerstogether (not sure if it’s only Prem players) expect to be paid. Yes I agree it’s a great gesture but if it brings some clubs down for what is an optional scheme it doesn’t feel as noble as it sounds.

Unless I have totally misunderstood.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

Not just football,  but society, banking, employment, etc., - it's all due a reset.  And we're going to get it.  We will come out of this a different country/world.

I certainly hope so.  Moral compass needs resetting.

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Interesting twitter thread from the Accrington chairman:

He’s very opinionated, but he’s really good to read.  Not all about the Premier League is it!

Ali Darden has just tweeted that Rick Parry has notified club of a proposal to complete season with full play-offs.  Clubs to return to training no earlier than 16th May.

I read into this, 2 week “pre-season”, games start 1st June, everything done and dusted by end of July, which would mean players out of contract on 30th June might be covered by existing club still having to pay them for the month of July.

All, obviously subject to the bastard Virus!!

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Olé said:

I'm aware some companies are just ignoring contracts at the moment and withholding payments and going cap in hand to their suppliers citing "Force Majeure", but really, for a £100m contract it's pretty pathetic if they didn't have explicit terms providing for what should happen if there are delays to the fixtures even of this kind. Bet the lawyer still got paid a fortune to draft it.

And also, part of me finds it quite funny that foreign broadcasters that English football has whored itself out to so readily, would just pull the plug like that. I know with the FA Cup even fans aren't paying yet for remaining rounds, but in general supporters likely have left their season ticket and pre-purchased ticket money in the pot in far larger proportions than the broadcasters. 

Useful reminder of who has and always will support football - even if clubs haven't always prioritised us...

A contract is a contract (as defenders of my players in these times are so fond of telling us). :whistle:

No play, no pay. That's my fairly simplistic take anyway.

Absolutely agree that it shows who has been the true support backbone of football however.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Good to hear about this #PlayersTogether thing.

It's possibly splitting hairs but if I had a slight query, surely for tax payer and slightly PR front, non playing staff off furlough then what remains to NHS based charity organisations?

Also as @RedM says, what income do clubs reliably have atm?

In terms of of partial rebates, I'd be surprised.

That said, Leeds in their accounts actually have a section amount set aside for refunds in the hypothetical event of the season not occuring.

Divide by 23 and multiply by remaining games but it's probably covered by some clause.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

How can you have the players playing a contact sport yet it's too dangerous for fans to attend? 

But then again how did we play the final games we did when it was advised for players not to shake hands but moments later they were grappling with eachother?

Football I'm afraid to say should be one of the last things considered in the timeline of returning to normality

We have 9 games left to play. So if you play; 

Saturday 

Wednesday 

Saturday 

Wednesday 

Saturday 

Wednesday 

Saturday 

Wednesday

Saturday

That's 4 weeks.

Scrap the two legged playoff games, just play once at a neutral stadium, 2 games on the same day kicking off at the same time, that could be the following Wednesday. Playoff final is then played at another neutral ground a week later. Season done just over 5 weeks.

Hold all playoff games at grounds central to where both teams are playing, have all playoff games played at the same time (Champ/L1/L2), because let's be fair, you're not going to want to play at Wembley when its empty, so doesn't matter where you play, so long as it's not a turnip field (sorry saggies).

Alternatively just play the games out on Fifa.

Edited by Taz

It's intended the play-off semi-finals will still be two-legged and played over the same timeframe as normal.

It is really worth stressing, though, that 56 days is absolutely plenty of time and not a huge deal. We've already had one particular period this season when we crammed 12 matches into 49 days. I'm sure there are more extreme runs than that, too.

Edited by The Journalist
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

If they do this, then hopefully the games will be televised, something to watch other than the usual mundane shite on TV...

All games on Sky/red button would be my guess with free RobinsTV for home games for ST holders who don`t have Sky or would rather watch it on there. There won`t be any games shown in pubs and the like. They`ve already lifted the 3pm Saturday restriction on showing games as I`m sure they guessed this was on the cards.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Should be somewhere sensible to avoid travel to London.

They can play them anywhere if there`s no crowd - even the swamp, they`re used to that over there! Seriously though, if it was say City v Forest, play it half way in between, somewhere like Birmingham. Brentford v Fulham would be the only possibility that might use Wembley.

2 hours ago, Super said:

As much as I want footy back and the season to be completed, It doesn't sit well with me when near on a 1000 people a day are dying here.

Hopefully as we all pray they will, the figures will be dropping by then and I think the powers that be will want to send out a message that we might not be too far away from a return to some sort of normality and sport behind closed doors is a low risk way of doing that. I can see the same happening with cricket for the same reason.

The biggest problem I can see is how do you stop fans turning up at the stadiums and standing outside?