IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

Games can’t be played behind closed doors. L1 and L2 sides would not survive, gate receipts is what keeps them afloat. If L1 and L2 can’t play rest of leagues can’t be decided for no relegation promotion. 

Hope we don’t get the situation where L1, L2 and NL are voided but championship and PL where more money is are played behind closed doors.

Think that would be the last straw for me and would stop me watching City. Would just watch more Non league with my son,

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

How often do you test them, who will they be in contact with and just because your negative one day doesn’t mean your not positive next day.

Exactly the point I was going to make. Football I don’t think will resume for quite a while yet. I predict this season will be written off and the start of next season delayed until at least the New Year with cup completions suspended.

Playing matches behind closed doors will cause all sorts of problems too, people will just try to get as near to the stadium as possible, nightmare for the Police to keep fans apart

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

How often do you test them, who will they be in contact with and just because your negative one day doesn’t mean your not positive next day.

Test them before every game.  How are you expecting it to work if not testing? They are planning for mid June start again. Whether that happens or not remains to be seen but don’t you think they have thought about player safety? 

We will get to a point where tests are readily available. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Malago said:

I can’t see how any football will be played until the safety of the players can be guaranteed and any likelihood of cross infection from players training with each other, or from opposing team players,  has been  eliminated.  That’s going to happen until there’s a vaccine or a drug which significantly reduces the severity of the virus.

Definitely follow the logic, but I don't think we can be sure that's what's going to happen...

The government will loosen some restrictions for the sake of the economy, even whilst the pandemic continues. And my guess is that football - the premier league at least - will lobby hard to be allowed to carry on behind closed doors. I can imagine them getting their way.

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I can't help but think that watching football with no fans in the stadium is going to be seriously underwhelming. 

It always is whenever England have to do it. Pretty sure they’ve had a few over the years away from home. Certainly one last year that was dull.  They need to have crowd noise. Not difficult to arrange and turn the vociferousness of the crowd up and down according to where the ball is 

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I can't help but think that watching football with no fans in the stadium is going to be seriously underwhelming. 

We basically become armchair supporters.  No thanks.

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

It always is whenever England have to do it. Pretty sure they’ve had a few over the years away from home. Certainly one last year that was dull.  They need to have crowd noise. Not difficult to arrange and turn the vociferousness of the crowd up and down according to where the ball is 

Piping in crowd noise ..! 

I'd definitely prefer silence, or the sound of the players and coaches which is vaguely interesting and at least authentic, than to have fake crowd sounds. And whilst I agree that's going to WAY less good than watching football played in front of a passionate noisy crowd, it's stil better than nothing.

I'm stuck at home and the news is... depressing isn't a strong enough word for it. I need diversions to avoid going completely mad. And football does that for me.  I watched 45 mins of Belarussian football last night and I found myself shouting when the goals went in.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Games can’t be played behind closed doors. L1 and L2 sides would not survive, gate receipts is what keeps them afloat. If L1 and L2 can’t play rest of leagues can’t be decided for no relegation promotion. 

Hope we don’t get the situation where L1, L2 and NL are voided but championship and PL where more money is are played behind closed doors.

Think that would be the last straw for me and would stop me watching City. Would just watch more Non league with my son,

Re the finances I think the same applies to most Championship clubs, matchday income pays the players wages. In the Prem it could run just on TV money but would those highly-paid players be willing to put themselves at risk? The only way most EFL clubs can survive is if football is suspended until 21/22 season and they can be put into temporary adminstration with employees wages/contracts deferred until the restart, not sure if this is possible legally but the alternative is nearly all clubs going bust other than a few like ours with billionaire owners who can make up the deficit (FFP laws would not apply during this period)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, hodge said:

Football will be played behind closed doors well before crowds are allowed in, fans may not like the idea of football where they can't attend but it will bring a greater mental well being for many to be able to watch any form of live sport

People will accept that I reckon. Certainly having Sport to watch even behind closed doors will make a huge difference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Why can’t players just be tested and if they don’t have it they can play ?

Because currently,,amongst many other wider considerations the reliability of swab results nationally/question marks relating to the swabs themselves are under scrutiny.....

Multiple swab results say "negative",,,,, CT scan says "positive" - and the scan is 100%......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yup it’s totally missing the point for me. I thought the sport of football was all about entertainment (or not!) and just not the end result of what happens at the end of the season, whether you are promoted, relegated or stay the same. It’s the getting there. 

16 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Because currently,,amongst many other wider considerations the reliability of swab results nationally/question marks relating to the swabs themselves are under scrutiny.....

Multiple swab results say "negative",,,,, CT scan says "positive" - and the scan is 100%......

Could just do a temperature check like was at airports, on arrival at training ground/stadium youre checked if above whatever the level you’re sent home till you’re back under/consulted with club doctor about symptoms etc 

55 minutes ago, Super said:

Totally agree but it's better than nothing I guess.

I think I would rather have the nothing and start again when it’s safe.

Right now people have enough to think about trying to keep family safe, save businesses, wondering if they will have a job for much longer or try to survive the virus in the one you are still doing. 

Football would be a nice distraction, but and unnecessary one especially if it’s in a watered down form ( no fan attendance). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hodge said:

Could just do a temperature check like was at airports, on arrival at training ground/stadium youre checked if above whatever the level you’re sent home till you’re back under/consulted with club doctor about symptoms etc 

I thought these were said to be quite unreliable. So if a player shows a temp then do all the players get sent home too as they have trained or played with him recently. Would it mean the players then have to isolate from their families where they are now together?

31 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/efl-open-letter-to-supporters/

some nuggets in there about crowd-less matches and tv coverage 

I just wish the whole world of football could be paused (like pressing pause on tv) until Coronavirus is completely under control. 

The fact that they are still even trying to play when hundreds of people dieing everyday just leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

4 minutes ago, RedM said:

I thought these were said to be quite unreliable. So if a player shows a temp then do all the players get sent home too as they have trained or played with him recently. Would it mean the players then have to isolate from their families where they are now together?

Not sure was just a potential Idea, Munich are training while distancing atm, no player touches a ball with their hands, I would assume boots put on with gloves etc, just about getting some sort of sharpness back rather than physical contact 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

Not sure was just a potential Idea, Munich are training while distancing atm, no player touches a ball with their hands, I would assume boots put on with gloves etc, just about getting some sort of sharpness back rather than physical contact 

I wonder if spitting during football will be outlawed when we eventually return.

29 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Currently yes.