IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

10 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Whilst I hope I'm wrong , I think it's at least 12-18 months for a vaccine. 

With all the different people working on it - encouraging noises coming out of Bristol Uni too - I think one will be found sooner than that. 

The issue then becomes, do we risk using it before the normal clinical trials are complete? Pain v gain becomes the question then - would it perhaps be voluntary?

Edited by Lanterne Rouge

7 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

With all the different people working on it - encouraging noises coming out of Bristol Uni too - I think one will be found sooner than that. 

The issue then becomes, do we risk using it before the normal clinical trials are complete? Pain v gain becomes the question then - would it perhaps be voluntary?

Sincerely hope so. It would be amazing if Bristol was at the forefront of it. Not sure if I would gamble early personally, happy it's not my decision to make.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

As Nixon says.....this is likely to get feisty!

Its right too - why should clubs save money by not paying their players and then be able to spend money on signing new players.... ?

It's an interesting debate. Morality vs bottom line?

Deferrals and cuts are significantly different- I think Leeds taking a deferral personally was a good thing from a morality POV- better than furloughing staff when you're a business with a large turnover. City's turnover last season was £30m as per the BCFC Holdings- should we be furloughing via the taxpayer if indeed it's what we are doing? How big a turnover is accurate and how big is too big, range wise etc- all valid points for debate.

Elsewhere...

Roma chief executive Guido Fienga has praised his players’ “superb gesture” after they volunteered to forgo four months’ salary to help the club during the coronavirus pandemic.

The players, manager Paulo Fonseca and his staff will also pay the difference to ensure all club staff placed on furlough receive their full salary.

Interesting debate as I say. Volunteered to give up 4 months salary- very nice indeed.

I do see both sides of the argument though.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

The signings thing is interesting... especially for players.

Guess players will want to achieve things, get to the promised land and the lucrative pay that comes with premier league football.

But what if they being pressured in to taking a pay cut leads to the club being able to sign a player who takes 'their' position.

Resentment is my guess.

4 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

The more I think about this, the more it makes sense not at AG though but at the Millennium. That would cover `home` games for Swansea, Cardiff, Us, the s*gs, Newport, Cheltenham, FGR, Swindon - even Plymouth and Exeter at a push. The stadium would only need one lot of staffing - security, medical, catering and the like and , unlike AG, the Millennium (I think) has a hotel on site. Sky would only need to set up once as well and could cover something like fifty games. Also, from what I remember about the layout, keeping fans away from the stadium would be a lot easier - certainly more so than AG.

The Millennium Stadium is being used as a field hospital currently. I don’t think it will be used for anything else any time soon.!

8 hours ago, Betty Swallocks said:

The Millennium Stadium is being used as a field hospital currently. I don’t think it will be used for anything else any time soon.!

You think that would put it into perspective for people that we won’t be playing football any time soon..... 

• Like 4

Where do you think our games will be played my thoughts are. It will have to be at grounds that are not situated near towns centers, problems with safe distancing as fans will gather .  Close to motorways and safe hotels. At a ground from a different division. So here are my starters.

Milton Keynes 

Northampton.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Where do you think our games will be played my thoughts are. It will have to be at grounds that are not situated near towns centers, problems with safe distancing as fans will gather .  Close to motorways and safe hotels. At a ground from a different division. So here are my starters.

Milton Keynes 

Northampton.

Would they not just use training grounds, presuming the pitches were of sufficient quality?

I'd imagine its played at Ashton gate. I'd like to think people are smart enough to stay away, playing at AG is the best possible venue we have for quality of the pitch, social distancing measures and dressing rooms etc, LJ believes in the fine margins so our home ground gives us that little edge, despite no fans being there. 

27 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Milton Keynes 

Northampton.

I think that's a good call sir.

23 hours ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

The team I feel most sorry for is Lazio, first real chance of a scudetto in forever, top scorer and arguably b est goalscorer in the world (maybe on par with Lewandowski) and now if the season is witten off they'll be second.

1 point behind Juve and undefeated in practically 14 games in the league (beating Juventus when they played - although that might've been in the cup). 

I hop they decide on some sort of behind closed doors mini play off for those two as I would love to see Lazio win the league

Two for me I feel for if it's voided. 

Here. Sheffield United. Their last few years remarkable, game in hand, win that they're 5th which may yet suffice for CL if Man City ban upheld. FA Cup Qf v Arsenal which is winnable but may yet be voided if season is.

Chelsea, Tottenham, Wolves still have to go to Bramall Lane.  If there's a favourable season to crack the last CL place for them it'd be now... 

Atalanta in Serie A. Bit more established in Europe than Sheffield United yet on paper budget wise have no business being in Italy's top 4. Probably less 'names' than a lot of sides too. Also similarities to Brentford and us (sell to improve), plus Sheffield United and Wolves as they play a back 3.

Still I'm far from sure they'd repeat CL QF in a rerun season while also being 4th, talented and dangerous underdogs though they are. Very watchable side too.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

33 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Does it have to be a football ground? I`m thinking that down here we have Sandy Park (Exeter rugby) which is right next to the M5, has a hotel on site and is one way in and one way out. There`s some housing fairly close but not close enough to be a problem.

That would be ideal.  I've been there maybe four of five times for conferences.

Really easy to get to; really easy to leave if you make that tricky early left hand turning.

One time I didn't and with no satnav it took me half an hour to get out of Exeter; the road signage is dreadful.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Read something earlier that suggested Championship and Premiership to play until the end of the season, with no relegation to League One from the Championship.

Leagues one and two to call it a day now with no promotion or relegation.

Not sure how I feel about that.

You probably feel a lot better about it than Swindon Town fans! They were a certainty for promotion, managed to get goal machine Doyle back off Bradford, probably for a hefty fee, and now this.

Now now, don't laugh...

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

You probably feel a lot better about it than Swindon Town fans! They were a certainty for promotion, managed to get goal machine Doyle back off Bradford, probably for a hefty fee, and now this.

Now now, don't laugh...

Well, there in lies my conflicting thoughts.

Completing League One would likely see a player like Liam Walsh achieve an early career honour but...

With the Fewers in free fall, relegation was a possibility.

Part of me almost wishes (if this does happen) they were still flirting with promotion and it was cancelled. But then that thought doesn't make me happy.

NURSE! Get the PPE on, I need more meds.