IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

11 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

I’ve stayed away from the politics of the COVID discussions Dave but in essence just about every country has found that lockdowns are the only answer to stemming or slowing the increases 

Im no scientist , but what then concerns me , is that as soon as any lockdown is eased the spread increases again - (Not helped by an element of complete ********* that can’t behave)   it appears to be very difficult for countries or regions to escape their dose of pain.

A horrendously difficult situation,  and the thousands of difficult decisions , for any government and their advisors 

Yes, you need a NZ style lockdown, shut the borders, quarantine otherwise....and you need track, trace, test and isolate.  If you read the stuff from Independent Sage, it isn’t rocket science....but again we are reacting too late.  This wave (is it still wave 1?) has already bolted.

2 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Not a Tory voter by any means, but **** they have an impossible job right now.

Agree 

Politics is nothing to do with it

Id love to see some of the critics in charge

Massive pressure from every angle , everyone with a different want and agenda

Lives v the collapse of the economy and numerous other significant effects on the functionality of life

Hundreds of difficult decisions to be made every day

Not sure how much more difficult it could be for any government tbh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, debate in Parliament a week on Monday surely seems fairly pointless...?

It's fine to criticise Governments- and I use the term for many countries- but there are two things:

1. Viruses and illnesses WILL spread more efficiently as the weather turns. Some of it will be basics ie the sniffles etc, but also read elsewhere that the virus just circulates more efficently in colder and drier conditions. Why? Who knows but it seems to!
  2. This wave- better discussed on the main Covid thread- well the virus seems to be a more contagious strain- D614G certainly was stated to be and the most recent one which arrived in Spain in June could also be, but certainly D614G is said to be!

Our track and trace system was not terribly good though...granted cases are at such a level that it'd be overwhelmed but @Sheltons Army how about Government poured it into NHS trackers, tracers- with some public top-up- and army logistics say- as opposed to giving a whacking great contracts to companies which little experience in it? Heard it has cost £12bn thusfar! We all have theories no doubt as to why they pursued this policy but that bit cannot be called a good decision on their part...

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

37 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well, debate in Parliament a week on Monday surely seems fairly pointless...?

It's fine to criticise Governments- and I use the term for many countries- but there are two things:

1. Viruses and illnesses WILL spread more efficiently as the weather turns. Some of it will be basics ie the sniffles etc, but also read elsewhere that the virus just circulates more efficently in colder and drier conditions. Why? Who knows but it seems to!
  2. This wave- better discussed on the main Covid thread- well the virus seems to be a more contagious strain- D614G certainly was stated to be and the most recent one which arrived in Spain in June could also be, but certainly D614G is said to be!

Our track and trace system was not terribly good though...granted cases are at such a level that it'd be overwhelmed but @Sheltons Army how about Government poured it into NHS trackers, tracers- with some public top-up- and army logistics say- as opposed to giving a whacking great contracts to companies which little experience in it? Heard it has cost £12bn thusfar! We all have theories no doubt as to why they pursued this policy but that bit cannot be called a good decision on their part...

Track and Trace overall is being bailed out by Local Health teams....otherwise the figures would look even worse.  It’s a shambles.  It’s money for old rope.  It’s tantamount to fraud.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Agree 

Politics is nothing to do with it

Id love to see some of the critics in charge

Massive pressure from every angle , everyone with a different want and agenda

Lives v the collapse of the economy and numerous other significant effects on the functionality of life

Hundreds of difficult decisions to be made every day

Not sure how much more difficult it could be for any government tbh

Just a few thoughts, maybe use people who know what they are doing for T&T, similar for PPE procurement, maybe use companies with experience rather than dodgy mates. Watch and learn from Europe. Be pro-active. Clear and consistent messaging. Oh, and the other small suggestion, actually have a plan of some sort. Oh yes, and a competent team to manage things rather than just clueless numpties doing Cummings bidding.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Super said:

Lockdown for a month just to save xmas?

Yup, then another lockdown late January because Christmas spread the virus. At some point, somebody might realise that large indoor gatherings, with lots of contact are not a good idea right now. Sadly, the virus will not take a Christmas holiday.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Track and Trace overall is being bailed out by Local Health teams....otherwise the figures would look even worse.  It’s a shambles.  It’s money for old rope.  It’s tantamount to fraud.

Worse than I thought then!

They're either massively incompetent or...something else- or a mix of the two! It's a shambles anyway, as you sayl

10 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Just a few thoughts, maybe use people who know what they are doing for T&T, similar for PPE procurement, maybe use companies with experience rather than dodgy mates. Watch and learn from Europe. Be pro-active. Clear and consistent messaging. Oh, and the other small suggestion, actually have a plan of some sort. Oh yes, and a competent team to manage things rather than just clueless numpties doing Cummings bidding.

Agreed- though I would point out for balance that it is spiking badly across Europe too or much of Europe. Part of this as I mentioned above is to be expected, but little excuse for the Serco stuff.

Seems both to spread more efficiently in I dunno, mid Autumn onwards say and potentially is a more infectious strain. Or strain that spreads more easily.

'USA-USA- USA' Clear winners, in the League table- sadly not a League anyone wants to be top of, 100k recorded cases today- new daily record for both them, 2nd day in succession I think, and actually a World record for any individual country, daily cases in one day! Actually outstripped this last 4-5 days, at least in terms of recorded daily cases on the days in q, India- India were due to overtake them as World leader for total recorded cases by now but USA actually extending their lead! Mad.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

If we have a 4 week lockdown can see top 2 divisions playing and the rest having 4 weeks off. Testing isn’t as good in L1 L2 and NL.  Accrington as an example and I think Oxford previously. 

Just may have to a short pre season for lower down so when the Euros are on so can get fixtures completed for this season. 

Does seem games are being  played in France top league at the moment. It’s going to be the elite get there seasons complete and the lower down the ladder you go a case of do what you can.

59 minutes ago, daored said:

As it looks increasingly likely we’re heading for a national lockdown in the next couple of weeks. Is there an indication to whether the season would have to be postponed, or will the games continue to be played?

I think my reply got lost in the merge 

I could see the professional game continuing if there’s testing in place but can’t see any way non-league can continue

1 hour ago, Red said:

At least it will give time to get some injuries out of the way. I would have thought total lockdown being just that!

I'm thinking us and injuries is a bit like This Septic Isle and this bloody "China" virus - soon as we start playing again, we'll be picking up serious injuries like Freshers picking up the virus in their flats. 

2 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

As I look forward to today’s game it seems odds on another National lock down is imminent. While I appreciate football on the scale of things is unimportant when you consider livelihoods and all, what do you reckon will happen? 
Suspension of season or will it continue. 

Think it will continue unless their are rakes of positive tests

I think they’ll (Govt)  take the view that the minimal risk of professional footballers of spreading the virus to any impact I’ve degree  is worth it compared to the pleasure / distraction they are providing for millions

2 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

As I look forward to today’s game it seems odds on another National lock down is imminent. While I appreciate football on the scale of things is unimportant when you consider livelihoods and all, what do you reckon will happen? 

I would guess, that as far as possible they'll keep the football going, the more free time people have, the more likely they are to roam freely and visit people.

Might see Leagues One and Two suspended without financial support, but with the Euros now scheduled for next year rather than this, I would imagine there will be pressure to get everything concluded.

15 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

There’s already a huge thread discussing this

If we're going to do a lockdown properly and try to tackle the Virus seriously then it has to be suspended - as does all sport.

Unfortunately this Government couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery and if its true that schools and Universities stay open regardless then this next lockdown is only a half measure and won't work. 

Edited by Loco Rojo
  • Like 4