IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

• SC&T Board Members
13 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I can understand for the first game why they wouldn't though, you need to leave the ballot open for at least a few days so people have a chance to enter, then sort it, send everyone emails with (presumably) their e-tickets or if you can't print then sort the physical tickets. With 9 days including a weekend I can understand why the first wouldn't be a ballot.

A number of clubs have successfully run ballots within a very tight timescale. I imagine that they put a lot of planning into it ahead of time and were ready to press 'Go' the  instant the govt gave the green light for fans to attend. Hopefully City have done the same sort of forward planning.

Just now, Red Alert said:

Given the financial strains this season you have to accept tickets will be full price. The club would be mad not to. They need the cash.

Tickets will sell out instantly not because of the football, but because we’re all bored and just want some entertainment.

"Entertainment" probably best to avoid Ashton Gate then !!?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

A number of clubs have successfully run ballots within a very tight timescale. I imagine that they put a lot of planning into it ahead of time and were ready to press 'Go' the  instant the govt gave the green light for fans to attend. Hopefully City have done the same sort of forward planning.

So in a ballot does every seat in the ground cost the same, dolman wings cost different to dolman central for example or if we get to a time where tier 1 is possible we won't be able to fit everyone in one stand, or do you get told you've got a ticket in x seat and then have to pay for it, that process would also be tight for 9 days. 

4 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Season ticket holders living at tier 3 addresses won't be able to get tickets or enter ballot. 

How about letting the first 2000 season ticket holders who renewed be first in line for tickets. 

Otherwise lucky ballot

Then you've got ST holders complaining that they were waiting for a payday before renewing and its not fair others get to attend because they could afford to pay straight away etc

15 minutes ago, Banned User said:

As an exile I no longer can justify buying a ST. Happy to pay over the odds for 2 tickets to the game, I'm back in Bristol for the festive period.

Track and trace purposes will surely mean that anyone selling tickets they buy will be in trouble. Selling tickets to people who haven't provided details to the club etc.

44 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

A government prepared to try and deal with the virus rather than our government who are trying to make money out of it for them and their chums.

Wonder if they will restrict by address registered.

A government trying to use common sense is how I see it. They have had their moments but generally I feel safer here than in UK where no one seems to understand what is going on.

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 1

On 07/12/2020 at 00:06, Harry said:

Question. 
Is part of the covid regs to allow fans back in, that they should be ‘discouraged’ from singing? 

I’m not sure but thought I read it somewhere. 

If so, why were Liverpool allowed to play YNWA, encouraging the fans to sing? 

Happened in the first games, West Ham played their bubble song. Loads of fans with their masks off singing.

It's safe though, there's restrictions in place! /s

7 hours ago, lager loud said:

Is this right? My understanding is that there aren’t any restrictions as such on travelling: gov.uk talks in terms of advising people not to travel and I can’t see anything in the legislation banning travel between tiers or more generally.

Someone who lives in Tier 3 remains subject to the T3 rules if they travel to T1 or T2:

2) No person living in the Tier 3 area may participate in a gathering outside that area which—

(a)consists of two or more people, and

(b)takes place in a private dwelling or in any indoor space.

(from The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (All Tiers) (England) Regulations 2020).

But I think that still leaves someone free to visit a pub in a different tier, alone or with members of their household/bubble.

I’m not promoting it, by the way: my interest in the travel rules is not to do with going to the pub (or to AG from South Glos) but to work out whether I’m allowed to meet my Leicestershire-based sister outside somewhere to exchange Xmas presents. Whether that’s a reasonable risk is, of course, a different question, which I’m also considering.

Happy to be corrected if someone can show me the rules.

You should avoid travelling into another tier except where necessary, so no you shouldnt be going from tier 3 to tier 2 to watch football

You probably shouldnt be going to meet your family to exchange presentsif they are in tier 3, if it's tier 1/2 to 1/2 then you can.

3 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

Bristol and North Somerset have been reclassified into Tier 2 – High Alert category –meaning that we can welcome back a limited number of supporters into the Stadium for the first time since March 7th this year, starting with the Boxing Day fixture against Wycombe Wanderers (3pm KO).

Details of how to purchase tickets for games will be announced at 12pm on Friday, December 18th with tickets then going on sale at 10am on Monday, December 21st.

City Chief Executive Mark Ashton told fans: “It’s fantastic to be able to welcome you back. Football hasn’t been the same without you. We and Ashton Gate Stadium have had a clear operational plan of how we can welcome fans safely back since the summer and, while it will only be a percentage of our fan base, it’s great news for the city and the club.”

Typical City. 
All these questions on the last 2 pages of this thread, as well as loads of questions and uncertainties on social media. 

We’re told that BCFC have been ready to implement their plan since the summer. A “clear operational plan” no less. 

Now that they get the chance to advise their supporters how it works, they’re gonna wait 24 hours to tell them and then another 3 days before they sell the tickets. 

If this operational plan had been so clear since the summer, surely it’d be ready to be communicated as soon as the call was made. Instead, there’s hundred of questions and uncertainties over what’s gonna happen, who can apply, where they’ll sit, how much it’ll cost, etc etc. 

Why not just publish the plan today, as soon as the green light was given? It’s such a clear operational plan that’s been ready for months, surely it must be ready to go immediately. 
Nah - keep the fans hanging on, uncertain over everything, prompting multiple questions. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Typical City. 
All these questions on the last 2 pages of this thread, as well as loads of questions and uncertainties on social media. 

We’re told that BCFC have been ready to implement their plan since the summer. A “clear operational plan” no less. 

Now that they get the chance to advise their supporters how it works, they’re gonna wait 24 hours to tell them and then another 3 days before they sell the tickets. 

If this operational plan had been so clear since the summer, surely it’d be ready to be communicated as soon as the call was made. Instead, there’s hundred of questions and uncertainties over what’s gonna happen, who can apply, where they’ll sit, how much it’ll cost, etc etc. 

Why not just publish the plan today, as soon as the green light was given? It’s such a clear operational plan that’s been ready for months, surely it must be ready to go immediately. 
Nah - keep the fans hanging on, uncertain over everything, prompting multiple questions. 

Posted similar on twitter (more concise though).

The cynic in me says put the news out on Friday, so there is less time to deal with questions before they close the lines on Friday evening.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Posted similar on twitter (more concise though).

The cynic in me says put the news out on Friday, so there is less time to deal with questions before they close the lines on Friday evening.

If we had a poll yesterday  - "Will Bristol move to tier 2", I suspect nobody would have said yes. Maybe the club have been caught on the back foot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, miser said:

If we had a poll yesterday  - "Will Bristol move to tier 2", I suspect nobody would have said yes. Maybe the club have been caught on the back foot.

Caught on the back foot?? 
So why has Ashton come out and said they’ve had a “clear operational plan since the summer”? 

5 minutes ago, miser said:

Our numbers were falling a lot (anything to do with quite a lot of students going home? :whistle2:). 

There was a chance certainly, albeit perhaps not a huge one.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Caught on the back foot?? 
So why has Ashton come out and said they’ve had a “clear operational plan since the summer”? 

And Mark Kelly 

If they have a plan as they claim that should be ready to implement at any point.

Thats the idea of a plan isn’t it ??

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

And Mark Kelly 

If they have a plan as they claim that should be ready to implement at any point.

Thats the idea of a plan isn’t it ??

Ha ha. Exactly. 

My idea of a plan that’s been ready since the summer would be :

12pm - Govnt announcement 

12.05pm - Publish the pre-written article outlining the plan. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Ha ha. Exactly. 

My idea of a plan that’s been ready since the summer would be :

12pm - Govnt announcement 

12.05pm - Publish the pre-written article outlining the plan. 

Yes

The only thing they couldn’t pre cater for is what season ticket holders will be in what tier at the time AG opens up as Tier 2

But that wouldn’t effect any pre planning or overall plan

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

You should avoid travelling into another tier except where necessary, so no you shouldnt be going from tier 3 to tier 2 to watch football

You probably shouldnt be going to meet your family to exchange presentsif they are in tier 3, if it's tier 1/2 to 1/2 then you can.

Yes. I understand that the guidance is that there should be no unnecessary travel. But I don’t believe there's actually a law against travelling.

I’ve complied with both the letter and the spirit of the law throughout this year (whilst regularly observing others ignoring both); I have very few social interactions ATM - I do one day of work a week, when I might encounter perhaps 20 people, with appropriate social distancing and other precautions, and apart from that, see no-one else in person apart from my wife.

I might therefore just decide that as long as I’m not breaking the law, the risks involved in my wife and me spending a few hours in our car and maybe an hour walking around a park with my family are low enough for me to ignore the guidance on this one occasion. I’d argue, for instance, that it’s a lower risk than going to the gym, which is permissible but which I haven’t done since March. I accept that travelling to Leicestershire is against the spirit of the recommendations, and accept that other people would disapprove and would make a different decision.

I’m not sure there's any distinction made in the guidance between travelling to watch sport and travelling for other leisure purposes. And I don’t know what leads you to say that it would be OK to travel to Tier 2, say, to see my family, but not to go to AG. As ever, happy to be educated if there’s something I've missed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lager loud said:

Is this right? My understanding is that there aren’t any restrictions as such on travelling: gov.uk talks in terms of advising people not to travel and I can’t see anything in the legislation banning travel between tiers or more generally.

Someone who lives in Tier 3 remains subject to the T3 rules if they travel to T1 or T2:

2) No person living in the Tier 3 area may participate in a gathering outside that area which—

(a)consists of two or more people, and

(b)takes place in a private dwelling or in any indoor space.

(from The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (All Tiers) (England) Regulations 2020).

But I think that still leaves someone free to visit a pub in a different tier, alone or with members of their household/bubble.

I’m not promoting it, by the way: my interest in the travel rules is not to do with going to the pub (or to AG from South Glos) but to work out whether I’m allowed to meet my Leicestershire-based sister outside somewhere to exchange Xmas presents. Whether that’s a reasonable risk is, of course, a different question, which I’m also considering.

Happy to be corrected if someone can show me the rules.

If you live in a Tier 3 area, you must continue to follow Tier 3 rules when you travel to a Tier 1 or Tier 2 area. 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tier-3-very-high-alert#travel

So no you cannot go to the game if you're tier 3, or go to a pub etc. Even if you visit a tier 2 area for other reasons. 

Surely they just won’t refund those who go so it’ll be at your season ticket price. There won’t be anywhere near as much interest from session ticket holders as many have said on here. There will be many like me who have no interest to go back until it is normal. Then you have lots not in the right tiers etc. And many who can’t go due to fears of catching it etc. Basically all kinds of reasons will leave only a few thousand interested.

3 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Surely they just won’t refund those who go so it’ll be at your season ticket price. There won’t be anywhere near as much interest from session ticket holders as many have said on here. There will be many like me who have no interest to go back until it is normal. Then you have lots not in the right tiers etc. And many who can’t go due to fears of catching it etc. Basically all kinds of reasons will leave only a few thousand interested.

We’ve already been refunded.

1 minute ago, Selred said:

If you live in a Tier 3 area, you must continue to follow Tier 3 rules when you travel to a Tier 1 or Tier 2 area. 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tier-3-very-high-alert#travel

So no you cannot go to the game if you're tier 3, or go to a pub etc. Even if you visit a tier 2 area for other reasons. 

Again, that’s guidance. The legislation doesn’t say an individual can’t go to a pub or a football game or, as far as I can see, that a pub or football club can only accept the custom of someone from a suitable Tier.

Sticking to Tier 3 rules in Tier 1 means, for instance, that you couldn’t be part of a group of 6 people from different households indoors, which Tier 1 allows but Tier 3 doesn’t.

Now it wouldn’t surprise (or annoy) me if businesses looking to comply with the spirit of the guidance, including BCFC, chose to limit their customers to those in particular tiers so as not to encourage unnecessary travel. But I haven’t yet seen any law that requires them to do so.

21 minutes ago, lager loud said:

Yes. I understand that the guidance is that there should be no unnecessary travel. But I don’t believe there's actually a law against travelling.

I’ve complied with both the letter and the spirit of the law throughout this year (whilst regularly observing others ignoring both); I have very few social interactions ATM - I do one day of work a week, when I might encounter perhaps 20 people, with appropriate social distancing and other precautions, and apart from that, see no-one else in person apart from my wife.

I might therefore just decide that as long as I’m not breaking the law, the risks involved in my wife and me spending a few hours in our car and maybe an hour walking around a park with my family are low enough for me to ignore the guidance on this one occasion. I’d argue, for instance, that it’s a lower risk than going to the gym, which is permissible but which I haven’t done since March. I accept that travelling to Leicestershire is against the spirit of the recommendations, and accept that other people would disapprove and would make a different decision.

I’m not sure there's any distinction made in the guidance between travelling to watch sport and travelling for other leisure purposes. And I don’t know what leads you to say that it would be OK to travel to Tier 2, say, to see my family, but not to go to AG. As ever, happy to be educated if there’s something I've missed.

As far as I can see, tier 3 restrictions are enforcable by law: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/1105/part/3/made

The guidance is clear, you should not travel to or from tier 3 unless essential e.g. work/education/care. If you're not sure, they are here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tier-3-very-high-alert

I don't want this to come across like I'm personally attacking your decision, but just because someone's observed the rules that are in place doesn't give someone a pass to break one when they decide they've had enough. We've all had enough. That said, obviously common sense dictates that the exact scenario you described would be "safe" and you'd be unlikely to get caught. 

Also your note about the pub is wrong too. Someone should not be travelling from tier 2 to tier 3 to go to a pub. It may sound silly if it's at the end of the road, but if everyone did it then what would be the point of the restrictions?

As for the distinction between watching sport and travelling for leisure, again, you're not allowed to do either from tier 3 to 2 or vice versa. Again, you can only cross those tiers for specific reasons and watching sport or leisure is not one of them. The note about following your own tier rules if you do travel is for those people travelling for the specific reasons. E.g. if you travel from a tier 3 to a tier 2 for work, you shouldn't then go to the pub or somewhere in that area that you couldn't do in your own.

Tier 2 restrictions specifically say you should not travel to Tier 3, but that you can travel within your tier or to tier 1 (however you'd follow your tier 2 resrictions in those areas e.g. you could travel to cornwall but you couldn't go inside with a group of 6 people)