IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

Rochdale called next 2 games off due to positives and self isolation.

Efl have told clubs to limit indoor contact and follow protocols, but no panned testing will be taken. 

Basically get on with it don’t admit you have symptoms and get the season finished.

Man City are going to struggle to fit in any fixtures if they have  FA Cup and CL runs. They’ve no free weeks till March and if next 2 games are off as well they are going to somehow squeeze in 4 fixtures.

Edited by wayne allisons tongues

2 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Rochdale called next 2 games off due to positives and self isolation.

Efl have told clubs to limit indoor contact and follow protocols, but no panned testing will be taken. 

Basically get on with it don’t admit you have symptoms and get the season finished.

Man City are going to struggle to fit in any fixtures if they have  FA Cup and CL runs. They’ve no free weeks till March and if next 2 games are off as well they are going to somehow squeeze in 4 fixtures.

Pep might have to make five subs!! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’m still amazed at the inconsistency. 
We’ve seen some games in the EFL cancelled due to positive tests, others have gone ahead. 
Man C had 2 positives on Xmas day and were allowed to carry on and play Newcastle the next day. Now it transpires, 2 days later, that they have more positives. Surely that should mean that all the Newcastle players should isolate for 10 days, but no, they’ll be carrying on as normal. 
Just seems really inconsistent in how it’s applied to each team but also how it’s applied vs the rest of the population. 

I’m just not ‘getting’ it, to be honest. 

3 positives PL call off games, because they get tested twice a week they think they can catch any outbreaks before they get to bad.

I still reckon Allison of Liverpool had it but Liverpool said he was injured for they had 2 positives already. He was allegedly injured for 6 weeks but was back in under 3.

Just don’t get why EFL do testing leagues 1 and 2 and NL fixtures are all over the place.

• Like 1

I don’t think our season would be curtailed, rather it would be a better idea to do what the Aussies have done with the A-League whereby teams play nearby teams until outbreaks in other areas are contained. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-22/sydney-coronavirus-outbreak-a-league-grand-final-rematch-on-hold/13008228

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-23/nsw-covid-19-outbreak-delays-start-to-a-league-season/13011448

Edited by Wade Wilson

27 minutes ago, Harry said:

We’ve seen some games in the EFL cancelled due to positive tests, others have gone ahead. 
Man C had 2 positives on Xmas day and were allowed to carry on and play Newcastle the next day. Now it transpires, 2 days later, that they have more positives. Surely that should mean that all the Newcastle players should isolate for 10 days, but no, they’ll be carrying on as normal. 
Just seems really inconsistent in how it’s applied to each team but also how it’s applied vs the rest of the population. 

Happy to help @Harry

paid pay day GIF

over

creepy grim reaper GIF

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, lenred said:

No chance.  EFL maybe but no way Prem stops. They’ll just have to manage games as they have done so far with Newcastle and now Man City. 

Because one game has been postponed? 

Because There’s been about four games postponed already this season and now we’re nose diving into the worst daily case levels ever

25 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Because There’s been about four games postponed already this season and now we’re nose diving into the worst daily case levels ever

Four games out of how many? And it’s two in the Prem isn’t it?

Edited by lenred

In some other leagues and also in rugby teams that have failed to fulfil fixtures, even though due to Covid, have seen their opponents awarded a 3-0 win in football and a a number of points in rugby. This prevents a fixture back log as well as encouraging teams to keep players healthy.

If the Prem was to award Everton a 3-0 win for tonight's game v Man C, would a legal challenge from Man  C be following?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 22A said:

In some other leagues and also in rugby teams that have failed to fulfil fixtures, even though due to Covid, have seen their opponents awarded a 3-0 win in football and a a number of points in rugby. This prevents a fixture back log as well as encouraging teams to keep players healthy.

If the Prem was to award Everton a 3-0 win for tonight's game v Man C, would a legal challenge from Man  C be following?

Bristol Flyers lost their opening two games 20-0 for having to forfeit.  Sounds harsh, but it impresses on players / staff that they need stay safe and follow the protocols.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 22A said:

100% without a doubt

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Haven't Newcastle already had a game postponed through their own players testing positive?

57 minutes ago, Robin Wood said:

This season won't end as it should do it will be extended then finish like last season with points average roll on next season because this one feels over 

Can't for the higher divisions at least if Euro 2020ne is happening, there's a hard deadline when domestic leagues must finish before the tournament.

On 25/12/2020 at 22:02, phantom said:

Wasn't there a study that a footballer didn't actually stand close enough to a specific player to contract the virus?

I'm still amazed the EFL are not routinely testing 

Not sure there's any reason or evidence that would back up that % of players would be higher than any other industry. 

Only Man City would have a complete test of staff, but surely that is the whole squad and staff around training and matchday squads. 

Apart from maybe one or two clubs numbers affected have always been low

When the EFL brings in mass testing in January will be the make or break time on a larger scale 

Below shows tests in the Premier League, clearly indicating there's not any mass problemsScreenshot_20201225-220457_Samsung Internet.jpg

Multiply the above over the top four divisions, there is no mass problem. 

Please deal with facts and not misguided opinions 

Good decision by the Aussies.although their distances are far greater than the Englands

The EFL made a decision to have long distance fixtures during midweek and local games on saturday

Although I prefer long distance fixtures on a saturday and short distance fixtures in mid week.

It was costing me a fortune to stay over night,although I can't see it happening in the first half of 2021

Bristol bears match has been moved to a 3pm kick off on new years day from its orgional evening kick off time

15 hours ago, lenred said:

No chance.  EFL maybe but no way Prem stops. They’ll just have to manage games as they have done so far with Newcastle and now Man City. 

Because one game has been postponed? 

It's not just one though is it. There's been 3? Prem Games, and there were 8 games in total Saturday across the football league

Edit: 7 of today's league one games called off.

Edited by MarcusX

1 hour ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

I find it amazing all the people claiming the leagues won't be finished, what exactly are you basing this on?

The actual number of positive tests is miniscule, much is preventative measures to stop contact with these players etc.

Miniscule? Hardly (relative to the history of cases in this country). 40k and accelerating. More people in hospital than in the worst period in April. 2000 people a day admitted to hospital.

1 hour ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

They are typical of someone who doesn't have an actual understanding of what is going on, yet can only see the headlines 

Oh please wise one, tell me what's actually going on

Edited by MarcusX
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Bristol Flyers lost their opening two games 20-0 for having to forfeit.  Sounds harsh, but it impresses on players / staff that they need stay safe and follow the protocols.

I disagree , whilst there have been instances of players flouting the rules, a number of these players will have kids who still go to school. Lower down the leagues, players will have partners who work. A number of ways players can pick up covid through normal day to day even if they follow the protocols.

Mentioned earlier in the thread, the FA cup weekend will be the worry. Spurs play Marine , whose players will be doing their day to day jobs. Plus a number of lower league clubs where testing isn’t as rigorous as the top flight - is sure to see a spike 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

It's not just one though is it. There's been 3? Prem Games, and there were 8 games in total Saturday across the football league

Edit: 7 of today's league one games called off.

Its 2 prem games I think. Really doesn’t matter imho how many EFL games get postponed it’s a different beast to the Prem. It’s all conjecture obviously, but I just dont see the Prem stopping. All about the coin. We shall see. 

Edited by lenred

38 minutes ago, daored said:

I disagree , whilst there have been instances of players flouting the rules, a number of these players will have kids who still go to school. Lower down the leagues, players will have partners who work. A number of ways players can pick up covid through normal day to day even if they follow the protocols.

Mentioned earlier in the thread, the FA cup weekend will be the worry. Spurs play Marine , whose players will be doing their day to day jobs. Plus a number of lower league clubs where testing isn’t as rigorous as the top flight - is sure to see a spike 

Yep it’s a good point. Can see the cup being postponed. 

• Admin

The below is from their own testing figures;

In total there has been 24,615 tests, of these tests 111 originally tested positive - no details on how many of these were false positives

Which breaks down into a weekly average of 1538 tests and 6.9 positive results.

The past two weeks have both been under the average, so will be interesting to see if there is a spike anywhere, but clearly doesn't match anything like that of the wider general public

image.png

image.png

1 hour ago, Son of Fred said:

The new variant is not only more infectious,,,there is around a 25% rise in very high viral load...that's the headline.

This means a higher percentage of those infected can expect a poor outcome - with obviously more pressure on the NHS.

You are forgetting that footballers are not living the same lives as we are, the Prem lot are nigh on living in bubbles and even the EFL players are purposely instructed to be more vigilant.

I'll take the discussion of your last line onto the actual Coronavirus discussion thread, but the NHS are not impacted by this testing they are all done privately. It is important not to assume that problems that impact us will impact on these footballers

1 hour ago, lenred said:

Its 2 prem games I think. Really doesn’t matter imho how many EFL games get postponed it’s a different beast to the Prem. It’s all conjecture obviously, but I just dont see the Prem stopping. All about the coin. We shall see. 

Was interesting that as recently as September the Prem said that games should not be postponed unless there was a major problem as squad sizes are so big, it was mentioned as long as there were 14 players available that the games should go on

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Miniscule? Hardly (relative to the history of cases in this country). 40k and accelerating. More people in hospital than in the worst period in April. 2000 people a day admitted to hospital.

Oh please wise one, tell me what's actually going on

Headlines and facts are two very different things, like I said above this is not the thread for these discussions, but there are many medical personnel around the country shrugging their shoulders looking at wards no busier than normal at the moment.

Do you think it was a coincidence that the Nightingale Hospital in London was closed.... it was never used !

Anyway this is about football not the virus