IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

1 hour ago, BasSavage88 said:

So youre a *** and if you get called out for being a *** you will be more of a ***

Not at all- just don't appreciate being bounced into something. I still take steps that entail significant personal responsibility about Covid but not up to the Vaccine/Vaccine Passport. If hectored, why should I bother- plenty don't bother with twice weekly LFTs I expect.

If you've been double jabbed, what are you scared of exactly.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/07/2021 at 19:44, Banned User said:

Not directly related but pretty conclusive 

I really don’t understand the point in thinking the earth is flat? What is there to gain by those apparently lying about it being a globe?

my cousin believes it’s some kind of holographic realm. He’s also a QPR fan.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not at all- just don't appreciate being bounced into something. I still take steps that entail significant personal responsibility about Covid but not up to the Vaccine/Vaccine Passport. If hectored, why should I bother- plenty don't bother with twice weekly LFTs I expect.

Personally the only fear I have had throughout the pandemic is that I might be infected and pass it on to somebody who then died.

I'm glad and not surprised you behave responsibly but please do think of protecting yourself. This article yesterday was heartbreaking.

For some people, the moment the ambulance arrives is the time they start expressing regrets about not receiving a coronavirus vaccine. For others, it’s the death of a loved one.

Healthcare workers and Covid patients have spoken out about growing numbers who, once faced with the serious reality of catching the virus, realise that they made a huge mistake.

Dr Samantha Batt-Rawden, a senior intensive care registrar, said she had only come across one patient in critical care who had received both vaccination doses, and that the “vast majority” of people she was seeing were “completely unvaccinated”.

Batt-Rawden said it was difficult to witness the look of regret on patient’s faces when they became very unwell and needed to go on a ventilator. “You can see it dawn on them that they potentially made the biggest mistake of their lives [in not getting the vaccine], which is really hard,” she said, adding that she had overheard people telling family members about their remorse.

The patients who pull through are for ever changed – their Covid scepticism disappears once they have experienced time in intensive care, Batt-Rawden said.

One patient who regrets not being inoculated is teacher Abderrahmane Fadil, who nearly died from the virus. Speaking from his hospital bed last month, he said: “At the moment I am Covid-19 positive … My road to recovery has been excellent and positive and I am looking forward to getting the jab as soon as I get out of the hospital. I advise everyone to get it. I for one am prepared to go to hell to get the jab, instead of waiting for the disease to devour each and every one of us,” he said.

Glenn Barratt passed away in the Diana, Princess of Wales hospital in Grimsby after fighting coronavirus for weeks. The 51-year-old, from Cleethorpes, had opted not to have the vaccine. But his final words to bedside nurses and doctors were: “I wish I had.”

His family has now urged others not to make the same mistake. Ken Meech, a cousin, said if his relative had been vaccinated, “he would still be with us today”.

He told the Staffordshire newspaper the Sentinel: “I’m not a doom-monger or someone who’s telling you what you should do or not do. After all, we are supposed to live in a free world. But this is one of the saddest times of my life, losing my cousin, Big Glenn Barratt, to Covid.”

Carla Hodges, 35, whose stepfather, Leslie Lawrenson, 58, died at home from the virus on 2 July and whose mother ended up in hospital, said it had been a big wake-up call on the importance of inoculation. Lawrenson did not believe in vaccines.

“My mother did not have the vaccine either, although she had underlying health conditions such as diabetes,” Hodges said.

She said her mother was now looking to get a jab: “She is very lucky to still be here … I know not getting vaccinated is a massive regret of my mother’s. She was embarrassed to tell hospital staff she had not had the jab.”

Batt-Rawden said families often ask if anything could have been done to prevent the situation.

“You know that there is something that the patient could have had which would have meant their life is not at risk, and it is a question we get asked a lot,” she said, adding that in some instances relatives have actively discouraged their loved ones from getting vaccinated. A lot of the misinformation came from social media, she said.

Batt-Rawden said she felt guilty when patients came in and were not protected, as she thinks “we have failed them as a system and a country”. She said doctors will continue to speak up, advising anyone on the fence to get the jab. “The side-effects are mild … Listen to doctors who work in intensive care, because we are heartbroken every day and don’t want you to end up here.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Sorry - are you now calling me a bully given you have taken on some weird obsession with my view on this? You seriously need to quit it if so as I take that kind of accusation very seriously. 

You have not been ‘bounced’ into anything. You have simply been asked by me as to what on earth you meant because you joined the debate and called out people (and me specifically for some weird reason) who want to stay safe and who want their families to stay safe and for the NHS to not be overwhelmed and for society to get back to as normal as possible as ‘obsessive’ and ‘fundamentalist’ which tbh is just weird behaviour, given that most sane human beings want the same thing I presume. But whatever floats your boat.  

Edited by lenred

20 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

My friend who is 50 was double jabbed but is currently in RUH with covid. My take on it is that if he hadn’t been vaccinated he would have been a lot worse. His boyfriend also had covid at the same time but recovered with little or no symptoms. 

It confirms that double jabs do work and have a big impact in life coming back to some kind of normality.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Scared isn't the right word, but to be apprehensive of large crowds at a time when Bristol has 1% of its population carrying the virus is fair enough.

Double-jabbing provides immunity for 90%-95%.  You will not know if you're in the minority for whom it hasn't worked until you catch it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Look.

I'll contact my friends on my government trackable smart phone, get in my car with a government mandated license and insurance, travel to the pub with a government license to serve heavily regulated alcohol (the government has banned the kids I got with from having any though), before going to the city ground regularly inspected by government health and safety teams with multiple licenses, and sitting in my seat as the government have banned terraces so I can't stand. I'll have to have a cigarette on the way though as the government have banned me smoking and drinking in there.

What I will NOT acquiesce to though is the government deciding what I can and can't do!

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Look.

I'll contact my friends on my government trackable smart phone, get in my car with a government mandated license and insurance, travel to the pub with a government license to serve heavily regulated alcohol (the government has banned the kids I got with from having any though), before going to the city ground regularly inspected by government health and safety teams with multiple licenses, and sitting in my seat as the government have banned terraces so I can't stand. I'll have to have a cigarette on the way though as the government have banned me smoking and drinking in there.

What I will NOT acquiesce to though is the government deciding what I can and can't do!

Are you a seatbelt fundamentalist though? ?

Just now, chinapig said:

Are you a seatbelt fundamentalist though? ?

Did you know people have died this very year even though - and get this - they had their seatbelt on? Clear indication they don't work in my eyes and it's all a ploy by Big Seatbelt to enslave us all.

What next, seatbelts on bikes? A seatbelt on every chair in the world? Am I going to be banned for sitting down now if the government gets their way? Ridiculous. It's just a slippery slope towards a totalitarian nightmare.

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I really don’t understand the point in thinking the earth is flat? What is there to gain by those apparently lying about it being a globe?

my cousin believes it’s some kind of holographic realm. He’s also a QPR fan.

The people at the very top of the flat earth theory are getting very rich from promoting this ideology. There's an interesting documentary on netflix, people paid thousands to go to a convention to hear there flat-earthers talk

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

The people at the very top of the flat earth theory are getting very rich from promoting this ideology. There's an interesting documentary on netflix, people paid thousands to go to a convention to hear there flat-earthers talk

thanks, I'll have to watch it!

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This is a very telling statement on the mentality of anti-maskers, anti-vaxxers and anti-passporters (I am not saying you personally are all of those!).

There's no thought at all there of others. You can't even comprehend that people pro mask/vaccine/passport might not be doing things for themselves but out of consideration of others.

Personally I have very little fear for myself. I'm double jabbed, reasonably healthy and young enough that covid shouldn't touch me.

Bit none of that means I can't catch it and pass it on to somebody who could become very sick or even die.

I'm not "cowering" as Sajid Javid would think, I am trying to protect other people. It's the exact same reasoning behind washing my hands after going to the toilet or covering my mouth/nose when I sneeze or cough. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

This is a very telling statement on the mentality of anti-maskers, anti-vaxxers and anti-passporters (I am not saying you personally are all of those!).

There's no thought at all there of others. You can't even comprehend that people pro mask/vaccine/passport might not be doing things for themselves but out of consideration of others.

Personally I have very little fear for myself. I'm double jabbed, reasonably healthy and young enough that covid shouldn't touch me.

Bit none of that means I can't catch it and pass it on to somebody who could become very sick or even die.

I'm not "cowering" as Sajid Javid would think, I am trying to protect other people. It's the exact same reasoning behind washing my hands after going to the toilet or covering my mouth/nose when I sneeze or cough. 

Still do- wear masks and tbh quite surprised in a few shops to see- shops I regularly go to, guy behind the counter who I sort of know not wearing a mask at all times let's say. Ambivalent about the vaccine and dead against Vaccine Passports.

Possible there is some overanalysis of a frustrated post- but if the Vaccine offers as much protection as it is supposed to, catching Covid shouldn't come as a great concern for those who have 2 Jabs.

The thing is, it's been 18 months or maybe not 15-16 months? Cases seem to be on a downward trajectory at this stage- I think the young have made significant sacrifices in this period, certainly bore the brunt of necessary sacrifices and measures.

Yep, wash my hands as well and long before Covid, and hand over mouth/nose the same. No easy answers tbh, there are those who cannot be Vaccinated- immunosuppressed for example, but then there are absolutely those who were fecked over economically via Covid and falling through the cracks.

5 hours ago, lenred said:

Sorry - are you now calling me a bully given you have taken on some weird obsession with my view on this? You seriously need to quit it if so as I take that kind of accusation very seriously. 

You have not been ‘bounced’ into anything. You have simply been asked by me as to what on earth you meant because you joined the debate and called out people (and me specifically for some weird reason) who want to stay safe and who want their families to stay safe and for the NHS to not be overwhelmed and for society to get back to as normal as possible as ‘obsessive’ and ‘fundamentalist’ which tbh is just weird behaviour, given that most sane human beings want the same thing I presume. But whatever floats your boat.  

Think you're getting this wrong somewhat. Bully? Nope, and nor would I imply it.

Fundamentalist is the wrong word, the Vaccine Passport advocates can perhaps seem a bit obsessive in that specific area. Kinda object to the idea of Vaccine Passports in general though.

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Negative tests- does it mean within 48 hours PCR or Lateral Flow?

I don't have any significant problem with Negative Tests- why is e.g. Immunity having caught it not an option at Chelsea though- antibodies come from that too.

The QR code on the NHS app can be from a positive PCR in the last 6 months 

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Skimread it, email proof was mentioned, but I suppose that system can be 'gamed.

Yea that's what I mean, you do the LFT go to the site to report it and you tell the site whether it was negative or positive. Choose negative and you get your text / email. There's no way of concluding that you actually did a test so IMO proof of a negative test via LFT is pointless really.

PCR would be better, but a bit more hassle plus the risk of taking 2 days to get results

Edited by MarcusX
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MarcusX said:

Yea that's what I mean, you do the LFT go to the site to report it and you tell the site whether it was negative or positive. Choose negative and you get your text / email. There's no way of concluding that you actually did a test so IMO proof of a negative test via LFT is pointless really.

PCR would be better, but a bit more hassle plus the risk of taking 2 days to get results

Am I right in saying that LFTs are far more likely to produce false positives/negatives as well?

On 27/07/2021 at 14:05, BS2 Red said:

It's the exact same reasoning behind washing my hands after going to the toilet or covering my mouth/nose when I sneeze or cough.

I would like to think you were doing that before the pandemic also and haven't just started this practice based on government advice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

Am I right in saying that LFTs are far more likely to produce false positives/negatives as well?

Yup. It's why kids who tested positive via their bi-weekly LFT in schools had to confirm the diagnosis by booking a PCR.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Not totally pointless.  Only pointless for those that don't want to do the right thing.  I would like to think that most people who test positive would do the right thing and stay away, so there is a point to them.  It would need the EFL to make a change, but an incentive for honesty would possibly be that if you test positive and have a ticket for a match then you're offered a streaming pass for it.  Possibly would reduce the temptation to report a positive result as negative.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, chinapig said:

My understanding was that if you test positive on a LFT it's pretty likely you are positive (but PCR to confirm) whereas a negative test doesn't necessarily mean you are negative. I think it gives out more false negatives than false positives, but I could be wrong