IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

47 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Not totally pointless.  Only pointless for those that don't want to do the right thing.  I would like to think that most people who test positive would do the right thing and stay away, so there is a point to them.  It would need the EFL to make a change, but an incentive for honesty would possibly be that if you test positive and have a ticket for a match then you're offered a streaming pass for it.  Possibly would reduce the temptation to report a positive result as negative.

Fair point. I might be being a bit harsh but I get the impression the sort of person who objects to having to do these things to enter a ground are the types of people likely to circumvent the rules to get in. Probably a small minority, but it only takes a small amount of them to be positive and if they've already done that to get in, I've little confidence they'd be wearing a mask, keeping their distance etc.

Another issue you raise there, if you've got a ticket and you tested positive last minute what would happen. Would you be entitled to a refund? If not, again there's another decision to make, waste the £40-50 you've spent (or more if you're taking family). We saw that with England games, though may have been more a case of it being such a once in a generation type game that people wouldn't want to miss it. With regular league games there's always the next one.

4 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Fair point. I might be being a bit harsh but I get the impression the sort of person who objects to having to do these things to enter a ground are the types of people likely to circumvent the rules to get in. Probably a small minority, but it only takes a small amount of them to be positive and if they've already done that to get in, I've little confidence they'd be wearing a mask, keeping their distance etc.

Another issue you raise there, if you've got a ticket and you tested positive last minute what would happen. Would you be entitled to a refund? If not, again there's another decision to make, waste the £40-50 you've spent (or more if you're taking family). We saw that with England games, though may have been more a case of it being such a once in a generation type game that people wouldn't want to miss it. With regular league games there's always the next one.

That's kinda my point.  Let's say 10 people test positive just before a match.  3 of them might be the screw you variety.  But if the other 7 decide to do the right thing to protect others then that's 7 mitigated opportunities that the virus could have spread in.

As for the tickets, that's why I suggested that the league need to take the initiative on this and remove their restriction to stream in the UK on a Saturday so that those who have a ticket and do test positive but may be sitting on the fence of what to do then they may be incentivised to stay away by not missing the match itself.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

That's kinda my point.  Let's say 10 people test positive just before a match.  3 of them might be the screw you variety.  But if the other 7 decide to do the right thing to protect others then that's 7 mitigated opportunities that the virus could have spread in.

As for the tickets, that's why I suggested that the league need to take the initiative on this and remove their restriction to stream in the UK on a Saturday so that those who have a ticket and do test positive but may be sitting on the fence of what to do then they may be incentivised to stay away by not missing the match itself.

understand the point re streaming on a Saturday but the clubs quite simply need bums on seats, selling pies, pints and programmes to get the pound notes flowing back into the coffers. In the absence of any further lockdown(s) I cant see the restrictions on streaming blackouts being lifted (albeit there is still always the option for anyone, ahem, abroad to stream all games for £140/season) 

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

understand the point re streaming on a Saturday but the clubs quite simply need bums on seats, selling pies, pints and programmes to get the pound notes flowing back into the coffers. In the absence of any further lockdown(s) I cant see the restrictions on streaming blackouts being lifted (albeit there is still always the option for anyone, ahem, abroad to stream all games for £140/season) 

I guess the risk for the club is that those three bums on seats, buying their pies and pints, and going to the toilet, results in 30 fewer bums on seats etc the next game, because they're at home with covid. But I doubt they'll see it like that!

You'd have thought it possible to restrict access codes to streaming to those who've got match tickets - but I can see that gets time consuming and like you cant see restrictions being lifted otherwise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think if the club want money in their coffers they need to get the outside areas primed for people to mix outside, even at the sacrifice of some car parking. I personally will not be doing any eating or drinking indoors inside a busy concourse at the moment, and football fans are still treated like second class sporting fans when it comes to being allowed to drink in our seats like adults. 

• Like 2

On 31/07/2021 at 17:43, James54De said:

If I didn’t have Covid, I defiantly do after 10 minutes in the dolman concourse. 

Indeed...good to get it out of the way(not really)...

Forgive me please for my vagueness in not 'trawling through,,,can I ask what are the requirements to be met(re; covid) by supporters on Saturday to gain entry to the ground - apart from a ticket or season card!...

13 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Indeed...good to get it out of the way(not really)...

Forgive me please for my vagueness in not 'trawling through,,,can I ask what are the requirements to be met(re; covid) by supporters on Saturday to gain entry to the ground - apart from a ticket or season card!...

Nothing. No entry requirements at all

• Thanks 1

Football fans face random COVID spot checks

The Premier League has announced fans are set to be subject to random spot-checks of their COVID-19 status at some grounds in the opening few weeks of the new season.

The 2021-22 campaign, with supporters returning to stadiums following the easing of coronavirus restrictions, kicks off on Friday when Brentford host Arsenal.

In a statement regarding matchday protocols, the Premier League said fans going to games should be prepared to show they have been fully vaccinated or have received a negative lateral flow test in the previous 48 hours, via their NHS COVID pass through the NHS app or website link.

And it said: "Initially, in the first few matchdays of the season, supporters can expect the introduction of random spot-checks for ticket holders at some grounds as we establish the required processes so clubs and fans are prepared for all match attenders to have their Covid-19 status checked upon arrival, should it become mandatory."

The league also said fans must comply with a supporter code of conduct, and stressed the importance of wearing masks in indoor areas, avoiding close contact with people you do not know and following one-way signage around stadiums.

A bit of interesting news although devil is in the detail- different papers report different stuff etc.

Yesterday's Times⬇️

Premier League clubs will start asking fans for proof of Covid vaccination or a negative test when the new season starts this weekend but the threat of supporters and players being obliged to have double jabs is receding.

The government had previously indicated it wanted mandatory vaccinations for spectators at sports events with more than 20,000 people attending but it is understood that plan is close to being ditched after opposition.

Instead fans will be asked to provide a vaccine passport- proof of a negative lateral flow test or a double vaccination- the same system that was used at Euro 2020 and Wimbledon.

Not all clubs will start checking the Covid certification this weekend, though some, including Chelsea, Tottenham Hotspur and Brighton & Hove Albion have announced they will, but there will be no official requirement until it is ordered by the government.

Some top-flight club chairmen had told the Premier League that the mandatory vaccine plan was "unworkable" but that they would use the passport system to protect capacity crowds.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/clubs-to-ask-fans-for-proof-of-vaccination-or-negative-test-vqvmpwv02

Devil in the detail like I said...note the bolded bits.

If it's Vaccine OR Negative Lateral Flow Test and proof thereof, that's a reasonable compromise in uncertain times. If it's the Government who are close to ditching it- ie Vaccine and only Vaccine- good.

I know it is the PL but whatever happens there will likely filter down etc.

Not comfortable with Vaccine Passports and only Vaccine Passports when so many have been jabbed and have antibodies- 92% I think either through natural immunity or double jabbed last ONS survey.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Several games postponed this week, 42 positive cases reported in the Premier League in the last week and today the papers are reporting that the BMA are recommending, amongst other measures, a reduction in mass gatherings. Government to review the situation again on 18th December. Would not be a surprise to see ground capacities greatly reduced or even a return to ground closures throughout the end of December through January.

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Several games postponed this week, 42 positive cases reported in the Premier League in the last week and today the papers are reporting that the BMA are recommending, amongst other measures, a reduction in mass gatherings. Government to review the situation again on 18th December. Would not be a surprise to see ground capacities greatly reduced or even a return to ground closures throughout the end of December through January.

I was thinking about players over the Christmas period. Say one club has an (unknown at the time) issue and still plays. Every club has three games in about eight days so three other clubs involved all of which will have two other games with another two opponents so already you have nearly half the division that have had `contact` with the original one in a short timeframe. If this new variant spreads as quickly as they say it could be a major problem.

5 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

I think we're not far off league suspension for the same reasons  you say, as I mentioned in another thread. We're not very far off that at all sadly. 

There won’t be a league suspension, they know clubs will go under if they bring in a blanket postponement of games. Some clubs may end up in the same position that Rotherham were last season though. 

1 minute ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Mail and Express have gone with suspension worries. The 42 cases is much higher than March 2020 suspension by all accounts. 

I can't see what else they can do, the Rotherham situation was ridiculous and unfair, sadly. 

I've no idea tbh with you. 

I can’t see how they can suspend the league. There will be no furlough this time so players will still be expect to turn up for training etc. Paying lower league players just to train will cripple clubs.

For the top divisions, when would they play the rearranged games, there’s an international round of fixtures at the start of June. Next season starts at the end of July so there’s no scope play through to August as they had done for the 19/20 season. The Champions League starts at the start of July as well.

4 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Furlough isnt off the table https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/furlough-business-covid-omicron-lockdown-22452617

As for the rest, don't honestly know what to suggest, this would be the equivalent of a potential great football reset. 

Clubs have been fiscally irresponsible for years, it wasn't sustainable and the likes of the On Digital stuff proved that nigh on twenty years ago, despite FFP and SCMP clubs have still traded in losses since in the main. 

Something has to give and if things did go again, which I suspect they will, post pandemic I can possibly see a massive change to the league structure back to regional leagues below the Champs, with those sustainable promoted to cover the one's folded or had to phoenix etc. 

Sadly football isnt the same as it was pre pandemic and if the game is to survive there needs to be big changes. 

There will be no great reset. This season may be played in front of empty stands for the next couple of months but the season will be completed.

Clubs will be training much like they were when numbers went mad last January. The protocols they put in place last season worked well. There won’t be much indoor training being allowed to take place though I can’t imagine. 

One question I would ask is why are so many footballers apparently unvaccinated and catching Covid? This is a profession where pretty much everything is done for them just short of someone knelt down in the shitter wiping their arse behind them. Are some of these players being given medical advice, given their fitness levels, to take a hit on Covid rather than a vaccine? Gotta make you wonder.

• Admin
5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

One question I would ask is why are so many footballers apparently unvaccinated and catching Covid? This is a profession where pretty much everything is done for them just short of someone knelt down in the shitter wiping their arse behind them. Are some of these players being given medical advice, given their fitness levels, to take a hit on Covid rather than a vaccine? Gotta make you wonder.

Simple answer - Nahki Wells

9 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

you can still catch COVID being vaccinated. Are they unvaccinated? Apparently there are a number of people quite high up in the medical profession who aren't vaccinated…?

Why so many compared to others, if that is correct (?), I don't know

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

Simple answer - Nahki Wells

Well it wouldn't be a simple answer if he was a lone wolf but I get the distinct impression he isn't and there are far too many footballers playing the game who would only refuse to take a vaccine if they were advised not to. I've had all my jabs and I'm not into conspiracy theories but it does make you wonder why many footballers are effectively being "allowed" to catch the virus.

• Like 2

Just now, Numero Uno said:

Well it wouldn't be a simple answer if he was a lone wolf but I get the distinct impression he isn't and there are far too many footballers playing the game who would only refuse to take a vaccine if they were advised not to. I've had all my jabs and I'm not into conspiracy theories but it does make you wonder why many footballers are effectively being "allowed" to catch the virus.

Football players are not renowned for being particularly intelligent. 

• Like 1

Just now, exAtyeoMax said:

you can still catch COVID being vaccinated. Are they unvaccinated? Apparently there are a number of people quite high up in the medical profession who aren't vaccinated…?

Why so many compared to others, if that is correct (?), I don't know

Yeah, I get that but my understanding is that the percentage of unvaccinated footballers is very much higher than the general population. But yeah, using your own example you have to ask WHY?

• Like 1

Just now, James54De said:

Football players are not renowned for being particularly intelligent. 

No, some of them aren't and so I would have expected a lot more to have been vaccinated and particularly for clubs to make sure they are vaccinated if they are a bit thick. These are valuable assets after all. So the question is why?

• Like 1