IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

No, some of them aren't and so I would have expected a lot more to have been vaccinated and particularly for clubs to make sure they are vaccinated if they are a bit thick. These are valuable assets after all. So the question is why?

Probably social media. There’s a direct correlation between education level and proportion of population vaccinated. Sad, I know, but a reality 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

One question I would ask is why are so many footballers apparently unvaccinated and catching Covid? This is a profession where pretty much everything is done for them just short of someone knelt down in the shitter wiping their arse behind them. Are some of these players being given medical advice, given their fitness levels, to take a hit on Covid rather than a vaccine? Gotta make you wonder.

Probably education and misinformation tbh

• Admin

Yeah, I get that but my understanding is that the percentage of unvaccinated footballers is very much higher than the general population. But yeah, using your own example you have to ask WHY?

Is this fact or opinion, it's difficult to have any real value if you are picking a small demographic of person

How about comparing to A&E nurses for example?

It's probably more about education and understanding

• Confused 1

No, some of them aren't and so I would have expected a lot more to have been vaccinated and particularly for clubs to make sure they are vaccinated if they are a bit thick. These are valuable assets after all. So the question is why?

Footballers usually have a very high belief in themselves and their abilities so some will always have a huge ego and simply  don’t like being told what to do, some (allegedly) don’t adhere to the managers tactics either when told….

2 hours ago, frenchred said:

Do players and staff have to abide by plan b mandate?

I guess they have to be vaccinated OR have proof of a negative test, like many other workers. I would think Wells isn’t the only footballer at AG who hasn’t been jabbed, but others remain private.

I know a few people who work in the hospitality and retail industries and they aren’t vaccinated as it’s their choice not to. Can you be sure the person passing you your pint, or scanning your shopping is Covid free? 

3 hours ago, James54De said:

Probably social media. There’s a direct correlation between education level and proportion of population vaccinated. Sad, I know, but a reality 

Not at all judgemental. 
“I’m right and anyone who disagrees is thick and poor”. 
What a nice chap. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

One question I would ask is why are so many footballers apparently unvaccinated and catching Covid? This is a profession where pretty much everything is done for them just short of someone knelt down in the shitter wiping their arse behind them. Are some of these players being given medical advice, given their fitness levels, to take a hit on Covid rather than a vaccine? Gotta make you wonder.

Why do you assume it’s only unvaccinated footballers who are getting covid? 
Please don’t tell me you are one of those people who actually thinks that the vaccine will prevent you from getting covid! 
Hopefully that was just a slip of the tongue and you do actually fully understand that even if you are vaccinated you can still test positive. 

16 minutes ago, RedM said:

I guess they have to be vaccinated OR have proof of a negative test, like many other workers. I would think Wells isn’t the only footballer at AG who hasn’t been jabbed, but others remain private.

I know a few people who work in the hospitality and retail industries and they aren’t vaccinated as it’s their choice not to. Can you be sure the person passing you your pint, or scanning your shopping is Covid free? 

it was a genuine question, not one to antagonise, i’m just surprised they don’t use it as a bit of a lever to persuade fans to have it.

thanks for your response

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Why do you assume it’s only unvaccinated footballers who are getting covid? 
Please don’t tell me you are one of those people who actually thinks that the vaccine will prevent you from getting covid! 
Hopefully that was just a slip of the tongue and you do actually fully understand that even if you are vaccinated you can still test positive. 

Yes, I do understand that as I’ve already said. If vaccination stopped it dead there would be far fewer cases than there are. I was coming from the angle of do some of these medics know something we don’t and are happy enough for players not to be vaccinated? You would have thought that clubs protecting expensive assets would make sure they are vaccinated regardless.

4 minutes ago, frenchred said:

reading into something else that ain’t there?

Not at all. It’s the only known fact in the general public domain. James54De chose to insinuate it was only the poor and the dumb - I’ve not seen any such analysis, it might be out there but I don’t know (and I doubt it’s true anyway). 
So the 2+2 is that he is insinuating that black people are poor and uneducated. 
The 2 facts he presents + the 1 fact we all know. 
Its bloody disgusting. 

5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Yes, I do understand that as I’ve already said. If vaccination stopped it dead there would be far fewer cases than there are. I was coming from the angle of do some of these medics know something we don’t and are happy enough for players not to be vaccinated? You would have thought that clubs protecting expensive assets would make sure they are vaccinated regardless.

Perhaps the medics know perfectly well that the virus is highly highly highly unlikely to effect these young fit footballers and so they know they don’t really need it? 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Perhaps the medics know perfectly well that the virus is highly highly highly unlikely to effect these young fit footballers and so they know they don’t really need it? 

That will no doubt be a factor although these footballers do have less fit families but regardless I would still have expected Chairman and CEO’s at some clubs to say sod the medics you are getting jabbed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Not at all. It’s the only known fact in the general public domain. James54De chose to insinuate it was only the poor and the dumb - I’ve not seen any such analysis, it might be out there but I don’t know (and I doubt it’s true anyway). 
So the 2+2 is that he is insinuating that black people are poor and uneducated. 
The 2 facts he presents + the 1 fact we all know. 
Its bloody disgusting. 

Where did I insinuate it was only the ‘poor and dumb’. I merely stated there was a correlation between the two. 
You’ve made the 2+2 up, so on your head be it. 
Personally, I believe that minorities have a heap of other reasons to be more mistrusting of the government than whites are, hence vaccine hesitancy.

You’re obviously not as intelligent as you believe yourself to be. There is endless academic discussion over vaccine hesitancy and why certain demographics are more hesitant than others. To ignore it, and be so afraid to talk of it as you obviously are, is to disregard it. 

30 minutes ago, James54De said:

Where did I insinuate it was only the ‘poor and dumb’. I merely stated there was a correlation between the two. 
You’ve made the 2+2 up, so on your head be it. 
Personally, I believe that minorities have a heap of other reasons to be more mistrusting of the government than whites are, hence vaccine hesitancy.

You’re obviously not as intelligent as you believe yourself to be. There is endless academic discussion over vaccine hesitancy and why certain demographics are more hesitant than others. To ignore it, and be so afraid to talk of it as you obviously are, is to disregard it. 

I may not be as intelligent as I believe. But also, you are clearly more of a bigot than you believe. 

Well, from where I am the measures proposed for Saturday make little sense given the Omicron variant is running riot up here. Few getting sick but the world and his wife getting it.

I'm triple inoculated, but not against Omicron, so I could be infected with that strain yet remain asymptomatic. There's little point in asking for a negative LFT as tests are in shorter supply than a City player scoring a hat trick this season.

The club's proposal to promote getting fans in early to scoff and quaff in the enclosed concourse appears reckless to say the least. They should reconsider that strategy immediately. If attendance is still permitted and they've any sense they'll close all concessions and have masked supporters make straight to their seats and the open air, with frequent sanitizing of handrails et al.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

you can still catch COVID being vaccinated. Are they unvaccinated? Apparently there are a number of people quite high up in the medical profession who aren't vaccinated…?

Why so many compared to others, if that is correct (?), I don't know

It's accepted that being fully vaccinated makes it harder to catch or pass on covid and eases the symptoms, so why anybody would not have the vaccine given the miniscule chance of it adversely affecting you is frankly beyond me, it would be interesting to know just how many of them have not bothered to be vaccinated.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pillred said:

It's accepted that being fully vaccinated makes it harder to catch or pass on covid and eases the symptoms, so why anybody would not have the vaccine given the miniscule chance of it adversely affecting you is frankly beyond me, it would be interesting to know just how many of them have not bothered to be vaccinated.

Anti vaxxers are ******* idiots. That's it.

Young millionaire footballers who think they are untouchable anyway and on social media  all day are easy prey for misinformation

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

it was a genuine question, not one to antagonise, i’m just surprised they don’t use it as a bit of a lever to persuade fans to have it.

thanks for your response

I wasn’t feeling antagonised ?. On TV they showed queues for hours in Bristol and Swindon for walk in centres to be jabbed. Yesterday they showed a couple who drove for hours to Hereford and queued but then had to leave without being jabbed as they had to collect their kids from school. One person they spoke to said she was only doing it as they were ‘taking all my privileges away if you dont’.

People are understanding they might not be part of society at some point in the future unless they are jabbed. 

27 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Is there?

Vaccine hesitancy across groups with degrees was 8%. It was lower amongst the populace with no qualifcations at all at 7%. 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0889159121001100

43 minutes ago, Harry said:

I may not be as intelligent as I believe. But also, you are clearly more of a bigot than you believe. 

Explain. Above link says

“Focus on ethnic minority and socioeconomic groups is needed during vaccine delivery.”

Just as I was arguing. To call someone bigoted, without any substance behind the claim is laughable, especially from the man who had a swastika as their profile picture for a duration. 

Edited by James54De
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Well, from where I am the measures proposed for Saturday make little sense given the Omicron variant is running riot up here. Few getting sick but the world and his wife getting it.

I'm triple inoculated, but not against Omicron, so I could be infected with that strain yet remain asymptomatic. There's little point in asking for a negative LFT as tests are in shorter supply than a City player scoring a hat trick this season.

The club's proposal to promote getting fans in early to scoff and quaff in the enclosed concourse appears reckless to say the least. They should reconsider that strategy immediately. If attendance is still permitted and they've any sense they'll close all concessions and have masked supporters make straight to their seats and the open air, with frequent sanitizing of handrails et al.

Where there is money to be made...

Yes I was a bit shocked hearing what they are planning, as you say it just encourages people to stay together in the concourse. I’ve not seen it really busy for football lately, I tend to go in early and get to my seatvand not hang around, but rugby seems worse even though they can take drinks to their seats. 

11 minutes ago, James54De said:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0889159121001100

Explain. Above link says

“Focus on ethnic minority and socioeconomic groups is needed during vaccine delivery.”

I answered.

5 hours ago, James54De said:

Probably social media. There’s a direct correlation between education level and proportion of population vaccinated. 

Here is the data.

Coronavirus and vaccine hesitancy, Great Britain - Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk)

The least educated (no qualifications) had a lower rate of vaccine hesistancy than people with degrees. 

There is further data from differing timescales but it doesnt break down groups using education as a measurement.

Coronavirus and vaccine hesitancy, Great Britain - Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk)

11 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

I answered.

Here is the data.

The least educated (no qualifications) had a lower rate of vaccine hesistancy than people with degrees. 

There is further data from differing timescales but it doesnt break down groups using education as a measurement.

That first link says 

“higher odds of vaccine hesitancy were observed for all adults not educated at degree level or equivalent. The odds were highest for adults with no qualifications”

Also, @Harry, it states “Earlier research supports our findings that COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy was particularly high amongst the Black ethnic group.”. Are these researchers bigots as well? 

6 minutes ago, James54De said:

That first link says 

“higher odds of vaccine hesitancy were observed for all adults not educated at degree level or equivalent. The odds were highest for adults with no qualifications”

Also, @Harry, it states “Earlier research supports our findings that COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy was particularly high amongst the Black ethnic group.”. Are these researchers bigots as well? 

Highest education level  One in 10 (10%) adults educated below degree level reported vaccine hesitancy. This was slightly higher than the rates of vaccine hesitancy for adults educated at degree level or equivalent, adults with "other" qualifications or no qualifications (8%, 7% and 7% respectively).

You are arguing about a %. The underlined figure is those with no qualifications.

I made no point about bigotry. 

18 minutes ago, James54De said:

That first link says 

Perhaps these researchers didn’t spout their views on public forums claiming that the majority of those who won’t vaccinate are stupid (without directly linking to the fact that most of those people you called stupid would be black). 
Actually I take it back. You’re not a bigot. You’re a surreptitious bigot.