Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

The way I see it is 

Cancel Season - lawsuits from the likes of Liverpool, Leeds and West Brom 

Take current positions - lawsuits from likes of Fulham, Villa, Bournemouth

Play behind closed doors - no lawsuits 

Seems easy but obviously the players have to be coronavirus free,if 3 of your key players let’s say if your villa are out then that’s not fair either,West Ham could have 11 suffering from it and you wouldn’t notice but the point still stands

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Getting up close and personal in sport is more likely to spread the virus than sitting near someone as long as they take the appropriate precautions.

Closing schools is an interesting one. Children get infected with Coronavirus but all the evidence so far suggests that they aren’t as affected by symptoms, which is almost unlike every other virus that the medical profession has to deal with it. It’s frankly bizarre and unlike my own experience as a paediatrician. Children spreading it amongst themselves therefore seems less of a risk. The issue is keeping them away from their grandparents and other older people who appear to be very susceptible to the worst symptoms.

Would you consider that keeping schools open would be a good way to help get towards herd immunity more quickly ?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Seems easy but obviously the players have to be coronavirus free,if 3 of your key players let’s say if your villa are out then that’s not fair either,West Ham could have 11 suffering from it and you wouldn’t notice but the point still stands

Agree it wouldn’t be fair but I think it needs to be a case of finding the most non-worst option.  

Cancelling season would be better than taking position as they are now. Sending Bournemouth down on goal difference with 9 games left would be insane.  

Other option is to finish the season whenever football is safe to play again and then having 2-3 years of weird season dates as we try to move back to a August to May season 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Agree it wouldn’t be fair but I think it needs to be a case of finding the most non-worst option.  

Cancelling season would be better than taking position as they are now. Sending Bournemouth down on goal difference with 9 games left would be insane.  

Other option is to finish the season whenever football is safe to play again and then having 2-3 years of weird season dates as we try to move back to a August to May season 

The question is when will football be safe to play again,the experts are at loggerheads about this virus so us numptys haven’t a foggiest 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Littlesh*t said:

Sorry if it's already been covered but what will happen if they delay the season and players are out of contract this summer? They aren't going to sign a new contract with the club so could potentially be without key players . Also same for loan players 

It will be a free for all,agents will be lapping this up as per usual 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Seems easy but obviously the players have to be coronavirus free,if 3 of your key players let’s say if your villa are out then that’s not fair either,West Ham could have 11 suffering from it and you wouldn’t notice but the point still stands

I suppose clubs in the top two divisions could afford to test each member of staff on a weekly basis, or some kind of safeguarding measures like that? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

All this talk of lawsuits is a nonsense, with the sole exception of if a club was to go to the wall. Any other football related lawsuits are unlikely to get an early hearing, if heard at all, when there are many more pressing cases that are in need of court time, especially when that time might also be reduced due to the impact of the virus. The English courts have never shown interest in involving themselves in football, the running of which is pretty autonomous in this country. They have no interest in promotion or relegation issues and will expect the football authorities to sort themselves out. I for one would be horrified that precious court time should be used on such nonsense. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

10 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Agree it wouldn’t be fair but I think it needs to be a case of finding the most non-worst option.  

Cancelling season would be better than taking position as they are now. Sending Bournemouth down on goal difference with 9 games left would be insane.  

Other option is to finish the season whenever football is safe to play again and then having 2-3 years of weird season dates as we try to move back to a August to May season 

The final option is the only realistic one.  Much better to tinker with a season that's not yet started then mess about with one 75% complete.

Now, factor in the 2022 World cup being in November and December and the possibility of amended seasons really seems to become more likely.   

They moved the Rugby season around this year and had the 3rd competition as a pre-season thing.  

I think the rest of the season could be played out in maybe 8 to 10 weeks including Europe and FA Cup.  Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday. Then have a few weeks of international football with the Euro 21 play offs before a new season starts.  The new season will have to be condensed somehow. No international windows.  Maybe knock the Euros back to later in the summer?

 

 

33 minutes ago, Littlesh*t said:

Sorry if it's already been covered but what will happen if they delay the season and players are out of contract this summer? They aren't going to sign a new contract with the club so could potentially be without key players . Also same for loan players 

If the season is extended, then all contracts should be extended on the same terms until the end.  Then have a window..

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, mozo said:

I suppose clubs in the top two divisions could afford to test each member of staff on a weekly basis, or some kind of safeguarding measures like that? 

Maybe but seeing as it takes 5-6 days before you even feel the symptoms then that wouldn’t be much good,would be fine if the experts could confirm once you get it you can’t get it again but they can’t for sure at the moment 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Bard said:

 

The final option is the only realistic one.  Much better to tinker with a season that's not yet started then mess about with one 75% complete.

Now, factor in the 2022 World cup being in November and December and the possibility of amended seasons really seems to become more likely.   

They moved the Rugby season around this year and had the 3rd competition as a pre-season thing.  

I think the rest of the season could be played out in maybe 8 to 10 weeks including Europe and FA Cup.  Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday. Then have a few weeks of international football with the Euro 21 play offs before a new season starts.  The new season will have to be condensed somehow. No international windows.  Maybe knock the Euros back to later in the summer?

 

 

If the season is extended, then all contracts should be extended on the same terms until the end.  Then have a window..

Surely no clubs will agree to play Saturday Tuesday Saturday,it wears the players out by all accounts hence them needing winter breaks 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

All this talk of lawsuits is a nonsense, with the sole exception of if a club was to go to the wall. Any other football related lawsuits are unlikely to get an early hearing, if heard at all, when there are many more pressing cases that are in need of court time, especially when that time might also be reduced due to the impact of the virus. The English courts have never shown interest in involving themselves in football, the running of which is pretty autonomous in this country. They have no interest in promotion or relegation issues and will expect the football authorities to sort themselves out. I for one would be horrified that precious court time should be used on such nonsense. 

I dunno, where there is blame (or a perception of such) there is a claim. 

Clubs are businesses, they submit accounts to Companies House, some list on the Stock Exchange. 

Yes it's best left to football authorities but if there was the prospect of us missing out on £100m+, well I'd expect us to push and explore all lawful avenues. Even more if we were in bottom 3, but had a game in hand and 2 points off safety!

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Cov 77 said:

On the subject of season tickets the deadline for renewing your seats or lose them is on Monday , with massive uncertainty for many and just a small global crisis I notice the caring sharing club has not done anything to acknowledge this by perhaps extending for at least a few weeks , many people I know including myself and family have not done so as yet, I suppose depends how many sold , if not so many might do , but nothing in the PR dept of this club makes me think they give a shit 

I'm glad you brought this up as I was going to, surely the club will extend the deadline ? I haven't renewed yet and I'm even more uncertain about renewing at the moment due to possibly this season running into next season or next season not starting until November or any other senario ! ☹☹

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Surely no clubs will agree to play Saturday Tuesday Saturday,it wears the players out by all accounts hence them needing winter breaks 

Although not linked, kind of ironic that the first year they have a winter break the season gets interupted at the end of winter....

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Maybe but seeing as it takes 5-6 days before you even feel the symptoms then that wouldn’t be much good,would be fine if the experts could confirm once you get it you can’t get it again but they can’t for sure at the moment 

Again, I'm not saying it's a solution, but I think that the wealth generation of football will dictate that it goes ahead, so clubs say 'we're putting common sense measures in place to mitigate the risk.

Eg Frequent testing, deep cleans, behind closed doors games, strict off pitch instructions for all players and staff etc...

It's a compromise scenario so that PaddyPower is happy, BT and Sky are happy, shirt sponsors are happy, and so on...

Could be wrong!

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Surely no clubs will agree to play Saturday Tuesday Saturday,it wears the players out by all accounts hence them needing winter breaks 

Difference is they will get a long enforced rest before playing again. No niggles, recovery from injuries and illness.   It's not as if they have small squads.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cancel or suspend all sporting or non sporting events until we've dealt with the major issue in hand.

It's an entertainment industry. Nothing more. There's no point playing games with no crows to entertain if we're all locked up in quarantine or clogging up ICU's.

Going ahead with crowd generating activities will simply create a huge petri dish for this thing to spread. Remember there's a 5-14 day incubation period and whilst it may "just be a flu" for you, it could kill the person who has a season ticket next to you, or their family member, or yours.

There's no point in us or governing bodies hanging around waiting to take action. Look at the state of Europe at the moment.

I'm certainly no doom and gloom merchant but we all need to have a sense of perception regarding entertainment Vs self preservation.

There's no point wasting Public Service resources and PPE/Sanitation equipment on Training Grounds and Stadiums. We're far better off reserving these for Hospitals and Treatment Centres.

I'd suggest that we all take a bit of responsibility for ourselves and stay away (and not create) large crowds rather than waiting to be told what to do by people who aren't going to be relying on the NHS beds like the majority of us.

These Board Members will already have a deposit on a private Hospital bed if required.

The crowd ban will be here any minute and in my opinion without an audience to entertain, the season has already ground to a halt.. we'll get use to it!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Bard said:

 

The final option is the only realistic one.  Much better to tinker with a season that's not yet started then mess about with one 75% complete.

Now, factor in the 2022 World cup being in November and December and the possibility of amended seasons really seems to become more likely.   

They moved the Rugby season around this year and had the 3rd competition as a pre-season thing.  

I think the rest of the season could be played out in maybe 8 to 10 weeks including Europe and FA Cup.  Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday. Then have a few weeks of international football with the Euro 21 play offs before a new season starts.  The new season will have to be condensed somehow. No international windows.  Maybe knock the Euros back to later in the summer?

 

 

If the season is extended, then all contracts should be extended on the same terms until the end.  Then have a window..

It's all well and good saying that but players by that point may have agreements in place to go else where. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly I think that taking strict measures to limit the risk of contagion should be the first step of any government, after seeing what happened/is happening in China,Korea and here in Italy: I find highly worrying to read statements like 'let the virus infect people as an experiment' (England), 'let the elections go on' (France)', etc.   

It's a difficult battle, because health is not the only aspect involved (work,economy, etc.) and there can be errors along the path...but the worst one would be underestimating this virus and don't do enough to fight it: it's clear that every country has its rules and is organised with a different (medical) system, so I don't expect to see exactly the same measures everywhere, but there should be at least some common ground.

 


Talking about football...if I were UEFA/FIFA I'd cancel the Euros and freeze the leagues/cups for some months, in order to continue them when the virus - hopefully - will be stopped, extending contractual options, etc. Not so easy to do, but IMO it would be the best solution.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I dunno, where there is blame (or a perception of such) there is a claim. 

Clubs are businesses, they submit accounts to Companies House, some list on the Stock Exchange. 

Yes it's best left to football authorities but if there was the prospect of us missing out on £100m+, well I'd expect us to push and explore all lawful avenues. Even more if we were in bottom 3, but had a game in hand and 2 points off safety!

Pops- this goes to vote. You should know this because we’ve discussed it in the ffp thread.

you can’t sue somebody just because a vote goes against you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Curr Avon changed the title to Preston testing for Covid
  • phantom locked this topic
  • phantom unlocked this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...