The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

This chart suggests the govt is doing a whole lot more than those with childish jibes that they are not. These are facts. Look at Italy.. what a laugh. Even the US is only committing to 5% of GDP at present.

My faith remains in a govt who leans on a world renowned medical team and industry.

IMG_20200318_221303_364.jpg

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

This chart suggests the govt is doing a whole lot more than those with childish jibes that they are not. These are facts. Look at Italy.. what a laugh. Even the US is only committing to 5% of GDP at present.

My faith remains in a govt who leans on a world renowned medical team and industry.

And don't forget, that is confirmed, if more is needed the chancellor will authorise it

Italy are coming out of near bankruptcy  still,it is low considering the state they are in, unfortunately the horse bolted for Italy, and they are playing a awful game of catch up

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

That UK figure includes amounts available at loans. Loans that businesses prevented from trading by the virtual lockdown will have to repay when things get back to normal. assuming they haven't gone to the wall by then.

Here's someone explaining why Sunak's help package for small businesses is, like many things we've seen heralded in the past,  more window-dressing than real help:

https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2020/03/17/rishi-sunaks-business-support-package-fails-at-almost-every-single-level-not-least-because-it-will-be-illegal-for-many-businesses-to-even-apply-for-it/

Edited by Red-Robbo
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Tbh, while I welcome the Government approach, loans or credit as it were?

It's hard to know which approach is right yet- UK approach, well a lot of renters will be out of work, square that circle.

Interesting these reports about it circulating in the UK around Xmas.

Was talking to my neighbour yesterday. She has quite a few clients that travel abroad frequently...and went down just before Xmas, wiped out, dry cough she couldn’t get rid of and then developed pneumonia and was treated for that. Took her 3 weeks to recover.

She may come in handy for my shopping soon!

Did have contact with her before and pretty soon after and didn’t catch it which, given I’ve had Lymes Disease which lowers your immune system, is pretty surprising. 

Amiens becomes 1st Ligue 1 club to cut employee wages amid COVID-19 pandemic

Ligue 1 strugglers Amiens SC have decided to engage in the practice of partial unemployment, a legal term in France, that sees all salaried employees receive a 16% pay cut until further notice.

This includes 1st team players. With no ticketing money in sight for the near future, ASC have made this decision in order to try to keep the club’s financial situation above water.

This has already been instituted by a number of French 1st division rugby clubs, but the Picardy side are the first in Ligue 1 to utilise this practice.

Amiens President Bernard Joannin has been in daily contact with manager Luka Elsner, and several important first team players about this decision. The Picardy side sit 19th in Ligue 1 and have relegation to fight against should football return.

Fair's fair, I don't know how the laws differ but...

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, walnutroof said:

Lots of people myself included think this virus has been around quite a bit longer than people think, I’m convinced i had Covid 19 over Christmas as i had almost the exact same symptoms but obviously nobody knew it existed at the time 

I found this online apologies my computer skills only go as far as copying and pasting a link https://www.ccn.com/coronavirus-patient-zero-may-have-started-pandemic-in-november-or-earlier/

I handn't thought it before, but much the same with me WR.

Was down in Wiltshire with the family and right as rain, then in one day during Christmas week I started to feel worse and worse - really bad flulike symptoms, aching joints, headache, generally feeling crap - so put myself to bed. My son commented that I must be ill as I never normally make any  fuss about being poorly.  I was left with a bad cough, but this is something Ive had on and off for years now and in January was prescribed an inhaler, as they think I'm asthmatic ( I had asthma when I was young and reckon it's returned) .

It does make you think, especially as I am in the higher risk bracket - over 65 and asthmatic!

Also, my son is a BA pilot, flying shortfall around Europe so it does make you wonder?

7 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

That UK figure includes amounts available at loans. Loans that businesses prevented from trading by the virtual lockdown will have to repay when things get back to normal. assuming they haven't gone to the wall by then.

Here's someone explaining why Sunak's help package for small businesses is, like many things we've seen heralded in the past,  is more window-dressing than real help:

https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2020/03/17/rishi-sunaks-business-support-package-fails-at-almost-every-single-level-not-least-because-it-will-be-illegal-for-many-businesses-to-even-apply-for-it/

Same as Germany and others have done isn't it ?

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Same as Germany and others have done isn't it ?

Amounts of grants less. But all countries have slightly varying policies. For those laid off, not having to pay utility bills - as is happening in France - would be good.

Our main failing I think is in our lax testing regime.  Stories like this suggest that may be dwn to years of systematic underinvestment.

https://talkingupscotlandtwo.com/2020/03/18/nhs-scotland-staff-to-be-tested-nhs-england-does-not-have-the-capacity/?fbclid=IwAR2w7zokKmJZmeZ80OSijL0ZgN1obj3nOglTV4nLHB2mt2A0NUMUAThaTEA

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vincent Vega said:

The proof most definitely is in the pudding m8. SARS,Avian bird flu and now this all originated in China. You obviously have had good experience with them ,that's fine and I get it. Me personally, I'm probably going to lose my business so forgive me if I seem a little pissed of with China as a whole. You crack on m8.

What is your business mate?

2 hours ago, walnutroof said:

So kind! I did Charlton away Boxing Day and managed not to wipe out those in the away end, it was literally a case of felt alright one day and was sick the next 

Joking aside since posting that article on Facebook quite a few people have said similar that they had those symptoms from November/December onwards, this helps explain why it looks like there’s been a massive jump in cases when it’s actually been going on a lot longer than people thought, it also means a lot of those currently panicking at home with their toilet rolls are probably immune now to the virus 

I posted this in the politics thread. I had terrible flu just before xmas, completely bed/sofa ridden for 4-5 days. One day fine, next day even went to the gym in the morning then within an hour went from fine to couldn't move off the sofa, no energy at all. It started on a Sunday, finally felt better by about Thursday then Friday night it struck me down again for another 2 days.

Most people I had prolonged contact with were ill too,  partner came down ill a week or so later but not quite at the same level. Her dad who is an "at risk" person was hospitalised with suspected pneumonia / chest infection. My nan, in the same bracket and is house bound, also hospitalised with almost the exact same symptoms as him.

Could be coincedance but it definitely makes sense if this thing was around longer than people think - but at the same time, its winter and these are also typical flu symptoms.

10 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I posted this in the politics thread. I had terrible flu just before xmas, completely bed/sofa ridden for 4-5 days. One day fine, next day even went to the gym in the morning then within an hour went from fine to couldn't move off the sofa, no energy at all. It started on a Sunday, finally felt better by about Thursday then Friday night it struck me down again for another 2 days.

Most people I had prolonged contact with were ill too,  partner came down ill a week or so later but not quite at the same level. Her dad who is an "at risk" person was hospitalised with suspected pneumonia / chest infection. My nan, in the same bracket and is house bound, also hospitalised with almost the exact same symptoms as him.

Could be coincedance but it definitely makes sense if this thing was around longer than people think - but at the same time, its winter and these are also typical flu symptoms.

I actually got hospitalised a few days after going to the QPR game, this was two weeks after the Christmas flu coughing finally stopped, initially i was diagnosed with a strangulated hernia but a ct scan revealed all the lymph nodes in my groin had become inflamed and the consultant told me that they obviously been working overtime to remove an infection. At the time of being hospitalised news about Covid 19 was only starting to appear so no connection was made but the more i think of it and remember the symptoms i had a Christmas such as wheezing that made me sound like a dog the more convinced i am it was around a lot earlier than people think 

To me that’s a positive thing because we could be hitting it’s peak a lot earlier than forecast and also a lot of people will have had it and now be immune which Is what the herd immunity thing is all about 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm happy to see that.

If it has to be later in the summer, so be it. If it has to be behind closed doors, so be it.

The aim should be, even if in 2021, to get this season finished.

Not that I am overly arsed about football at present, if I was forced to take a stance, my view would be it is better to finish 2019/20 at some future point, and if needs be sacrifice 2020/21 fully, as opposed to simply make the current season null and void.

Edited by One Team In Keynsham
  • Like 4

• The title was changed to There is hope that fans will be allowed into football stadiums.
  • The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked