IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

45 minutes ago, Super said:

The World Snooker Championship has been postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Judd Trump had been due to defend his title at the tournament, which was scheduled to take place from 18 April to 4 May.

Organisers hope to reschedule it in July or August.

I will really start to panic when the DFS sale gets postponed due to Coronavirus

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

Sky showing "experts" who say the govt "social distancing" plans could be for 12 months !.....imagine no large gatherings for 12mths...jeez

Our world is going to change immeasurably.

If most people have to work at home that is a lot more houses using power. Will our power grid cope? It's running at nearly max as it is.

The repercussions could be huge, far worse than supermarkets being short of goods.

• Admin
4 minutes ago, TRL said:

Our world is going to change immeasurably.

If most people have to work at home that is a lot more houses using power. Will our power grid cope? It's running at nearly max as it is.

The repercussions could be huge, far worse than supermarkets being short of goods.

Many can't work at home, for those that can if offices are shut , then the use of power just switches surely,  I have a laptop and monitor plugged in at home, I would have a laptop and two monitors at work - not sure what the difference is?

14 minutes ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

Sky showing "experts" who say the govt "social distancing" plans could be for 12 months !.....imagine no large gatherings for 12mths...jeez

There's so much contradictory advice on this.

Parts of China are opening up again it seems, Singapore likewise.

Serie A claimed lately it'll look to resume on May 2nd...albeit at least some of it behind closed doors.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

5 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Many can't work at home, for those that can if offices are shut , then the use of power just switches surely,  I have a laptop and monitor plugged in at home, I would have a laptop and two monitors at work - not sure what the difference is?

It the things like tv heating  lighting all the other gadgets at home which suddenly get turned on during the day which now get switched on. Lots off offices will still be open , many people now with laptops that will take themhome to use.. the power consumption is going to change massively

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Could you expand/elaborate?

Doesn't sound good however!

It hasn't sounded good for weeks.  I can't see anything but civil disorder and society breaking down if this carries on too long.  It's unprecedented, its going to have effects that last for years, if not decades.  

5 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

It hasn't sounded good for weeks.  I can't see anything but civil disorder and society breaking down if this carries on too long.  It's unprecedented, its going to have effects that last for years, if not decades.  

Clearly it's bad, well unprecedented. Unprecedented since the war.

4 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

The tanker/thinker is slowly, slowly turning

For better or worse?

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

As said on the tele this morning Mr P, maybe this IS our 'war'?

Starting to think that way Ska.

If it is our war, or 'war' so to speak then we all need to make sacrifices- like during the actual war. Can't be piecemeal, but normal economic rules e.g. must be suspended.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Starting to think that way Ska.

I think it is. And a friend made the point to me the other day that she had various friends on her Facebook page who had spent years sharing memes around poppies and talking up the blitz spirit and that those friends were the exact same people who were both panic buying and insisting on going out to pub, cafes and restaurants cos "the government isn't going to tell me what to do".

This is the chance these people keep saying they have been waiting for to do their patriotic duty for their country. And it turns out that,the time has come and their patriotic duty involves no more than

a) staying at home to protect the elderly and the vulnerable

b) refraining from buying from everything in the shop so that elderly people, vulnerable people and key workers have a chance of getting key provisions too

and even that is beyond them. Maybe the community spirit and stoic calm of the blitz is a mirage and a fairytale created after the event and people were just as panicked and self-interested now as they were then. Or maybe our society now just lacks the resolve to do what is needed. 

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Created jobs ie mass manufacturing of weapons and certain things yes.

Many normal industries were or would've been suspended/redelpoyed surely.

Lots of women went into factories and many other 'mens' roles for the first time, from what elderly relatives have told me things went on as normally as possible - bearing in mind there was a lot of manual work and no IT, lesisure industries etc. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

This is a huge concern.

Italy is now the worse affected country in the world. If society breaks down there, it is sure to follow in other countries, possibly here as well.

The longer the crisis continues, the greater the chance of this happening IMO, as people will become desperate.

Edited by The Gasbuster
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think it is. And a friend made the point to me the other day that she had various friends on her Facebook page who had spent year sharing memes around poppies and talking up the blitz spirit and that those friends were the exact same people who were both panic buying and insisting on going out to pub, cafes and restaurants cos "the government isn't going to tell me what to do".

This is the chance these people keep saying they have been waiting for to do their patriotic duty for their country. And it turns out that,the time has come and their patriotic duty involves no more than

b) refraining from buying from everything in the shop so that elderly people, vulnerable people and key workers have a chance of getting key provisions too

and even that is beyond them. Maybe the community spirit and stoic calm of the blitz is a mirage and a fairytale created after the event and people were just as panicked and self-interested now as they were then. Or maybe our society now just lacks the resolve to do what is needed. 

Our society no longer has rules (many of which were/are unofficial) and everything is now a right.  

2 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

When the Government themselves suggest that there could be as many as 50,000 in the country already effected plus others who’ve had it and recovered, it makes you wonder what the true fatality rate is?

Surely if there could be as many as 50,000 infected and we know the number of deaths then the mortality rate is a lot lower than feared.

6 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think it is. And a friend made the point to me the other day that she had various friends on her Facebook page who had spent years sharing memes around poppies and talking up the blitz spirit and that those friends were the exact same people who were both panic buying and insisting on going out to pub, cafes and restaurants cos "the government isn't going to tell me what to do".

Sadly, a good example of that.

Agree with your post overall. I think that generation perhaps had more about it, yet there is a lot of differing evidence from around the country.

Employers in office jobs still having staff in however are perhaps the most irresponsible yet..?

• Like 1

• Admin
8 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

This is a huge concern.

Italy is now the worse affected country in the world. If society breaks down there, it is sure to follow in other countries, possibly here as well.

The longer the crisis continues, the greater the chance of this happening IMO, as people will become desperate.

There will surely have to lifting of restrictions, maybe temporarily, for periods, in any risk modelling, cost v lives is taken into account.