IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

27 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

It hasn't sounded good for weeks.  I can't see anything but civil disorder and society breaking down if this carries on too long.  It's unprecedented, its going to have effects that last for years, if not decades.  

I know you call yourself the eternal pessimist but that is complete BOLL***S. I predict you will look very silly in 3 months time and you can hold me to that.

• Like 3

• Admin
3 minutes ago, pillred said:

I know you call yourself the eternal pessimist but that is complete BOLL***S. I predict you will look very silly in 3 months time and you can hold me to that.

We'll see...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51963486

And of course I hope you're right, I'd like to think you are, but can't see it.

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Which bit? And what makes you so certain?

The bit about lasting for decades, and to a lesser extent the civil disobedience, and what makes me so certain, past experience of this sort of thing remember aids, sars, bird flu, mad cow disease, I could go on, all were going to decimate the world what happened? exactly there seems to be no limit to mans ingenuity a cure for this will be found there are already positive news coming from various places as far as vaccines are concerned, stop swallowing all the doomsday scenario stuff it doesn't help and just fuels more panic his post was sensationalist at best and as I said complete BO***cks at worst. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I don’t know what they’re doing in Germany, however it’s possible they’ve simply tested far more people than us (not difficult) and found more mild cases...cases that wouldn’t be included in our overall figures because we aren’t testing people until they end up in hospital.

That would suggest, if true, that our actual cases are many times more than our confirmed cases. 

I don’t think Germany’s healthcare service is squeezed as much as the NHS as well.

I think this is correct.

As I wrote earlier, this crisis has exposed just how threadbare the NHS has been allowed to become.

We're stretched to the limit by 3,000 active cases (as of yesterday) not all of whom are even in hospitals. That's 0.0005% of the population. Iceland is staggering on with 0.1% of the country infected.

It's gonna get worse. :crying:

• Like 1

Let’s hope it doesn’t spread to prisons. If it does then you’re all about to witness like the US what kind of country we’ve really become in how we treat citizens. All hell will brake lose in a system already in its knees like so much else. I think it could create the biggest scandal through this epidemic.  

Edited by Odysseus

2 minutes ago, pillred said:

The bit about lasting for decades, and to a lesser extent the civil disobedience, and what makes me so certain, past experience of this sort of thing remember aids, sars, bird flu, mad cow disease, I could go on, all were going to decimate the world what happened? exactly there seems to be no limit to mans ingenuity a cure for this will be found there are already positive news coming from various places as far as vaccines are concerned, stop swallowing all the doomsday scenario stuff it doesn't help and just fuels more panic his post was sensationalist at best and as I said complete BO***cks at worst. 

You think the current situation hasn’t become a little more serious than Bird Flu?

Did people across the world socially distance themselves because of SARS?

Did an entire nation go into lockdown over Mad Cow disease?

Did vast numbers of people lose employment almost overnight because of AIDs?

This is an enormous, potentially catastrophic economic and health disaster with far reaching consequences beyond anything we’ve seen since the war. It’s possible we might not be able to contain this without drastic measures for months on end.

This isn’t “doomsday scenario”, this is the grim reality. Wake up.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, pillred said:

Surely if there could be as many as 50,000 infected and we know the number of deaths then the mortality rate is a lot lower than feared.

That’s the point and probably one of the reasons why South Korea’s CFR is lower than 1%.

It would be far more reassuring to know for certain that there are much higher numbers effected and much higher numbers recovering than lower confirmed cases and the current number of deaths we’ve had....if that makes sense?

• Like 2

• Admin
7 minutes ago, pillred said:

The after effects lasting for decades, people are likening to the war, the after effects lasted decades........  If things take two years to return to any sort of normality, what will normality look like then?

3 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

The after effects lasting for decades, people are likening to the war, the after effects lasted decades........  If things take two years to return to any sort of normality, what will normality look like then?

Perhaps some things will change for the better, if significant changes kick in.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

We'll see...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51963486

And of course I hope you're right, I'd like to think you are, but can't see it.

I'm not saying everything in the garden will be rosy soon just that things will probably be a lot better than you are expecting due to past experience of other things that were going to kill us all.

8 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It's gonna get worse. :crying:

This is a certainty.

How much worse it gets largely depends on us. Other countries have shown how strict social distancing measures can reduce and even eliminate the number of new cases. In Britain, for now, we still have d1ckheads sitting in the pub or going on stag/hen dos and then taking everyone else’s germs home to their families. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

That’s the point and probably one of the reasons why South Korea’s CFR is lower than 1%.

It would be far more reassuring to know for certain that there are much higher numbers effected and much higher numbers recovering than lower confirmed cases and the current number of deaths we’ve had....if that makes sense?

Makes perfect sense.

It won't stop the rise in deaths of course (and I believe that is about to go much higher unfortunately), but it would give an indication that the mortality rate isn't as bad as feared. The sooner we can get tested to see how many have had it or currently have it the better.

• Admin
1 minute ago, pillred said:

I'm not saying everything in the garden will be rosy soon just that things will probably be a lot better than you are expecting due to past experience of other things that were going to kill us all.

I don't think we'll know which way this is going for a while yet, but I really would like to see some end date and plan on getting back to normal and I'd accept that it might have consequences for a few.

15 minutes ago, Odysseus said:

Let’s hope it doesn’t spread to prisons. If it does then you’re all about to witness like the US what kind of country we’ve really become in how we treat citizens. All hell will brake lose in a system already in its knees like so much else. I think it could create the biggest scandal through this epidemic.  

It already has.. and they are thinking about releasing 3000 inmates not thought to be a danger to the public because of it

6 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

If I was struggling to make ends meet and in that cleaners position then I would be going out and working wherever I could. If you can’t afford to stay at home then you can’t afford to stay at home. it’s as simple as that. 

I think most people would be on the side of the worker here.

Like many things nowadays people are disposable sadly.

I bet the cleaner for example has worked there for years, never been late, had little or no time off sick and is honest and reliable and does an excellent job. Now suddenly it’s goodbye and we might call you in a couple of months. Where does that leave her.

I think loyalty should work both ways. I am now classed as a key worker, whilst three members of my family are not. My employer is pressurising me to work extra hours again next week ( which  my family aren’t happy about as I could be exposing myself, and ultimately them to all sorts). I really am torn about letting colleagues down but cannot put my family in danger either, I have zero option of not attending work.

A person told me today that he worked for National Express and had just be given a letter a few days ago laying him off as they were switching to a CHRISTMAS DAY service soon, not a Saturday service or even a Sunday one but running the amount of coaches usually available on Christmas Day. Wow, just wow.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Another person I spoke to today, a real elderly gentleman said it was worse than the war at the moment as at least in the war you had your rations. A set amount each week and could trade with eachother. Now it just seems like it’s Everyman for himself and people are just greedily grabbing and being selfish. Civilised society we are not.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Makes perfect sense.

It won't stop the rise in deaths of course (and I believe that is about to go much higher unfortunately), but it would give an indication that the mortality rate isn't as bad as feared. The sooner we can get tested to see how many have had it or currently have it the better.

When they were talking about trying to keep deaths below 20k the other day I could see where they were coming from as that would be the difference between a bad flu season (the sort that comes along every so often anyway) and something far more devastating.

If anyone doubts the severity of the situation or just how serious the virus itself is then that should tell you everything....hoping for ‘only’ 20,000 fatalities.

If I hear one more person say “well, I reckons we moight as well all geddit as then we can jus get on wiv life innit” I swear I will ******* scream.

2 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

That was sort of my thoughts on my first post on this thread. Huge numbers of companies wouldn't survive 6 months of this: not just your local Dog n' Duck, but national chains. Anyone not working in food retailing or medicine basically.

I'm interested in what the benefit claimant figures will be soon. It was 1.6m before this I think (from memory), but I can see it getting above 10m or more. And with a much smaller tax-base, you wonder where the cash for these benefits is coming from.

A prolonged virus lockdown will break entire national economies.

Maybe it IS time for the experts to factor this in and think if there is a way those of us who aren't over 70 or with underlying health issues can all live as normal while keeping strict isolation for those that are. It'll spread, we'll take our chances, but then it'll peak and eventually those isolating can emerge to a world that might look a bit similar.

It's clear from the large numbers who think they have the disease but haven't been tested (I know of three in Bristol alone) that the genie is out the bottle. Containment has failed. Providing it stays with the healthy and young(ish) population, the NHS may not have to be overwhelmed.

Is this mad? Thoughts?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

This is a certainty.

How much worse it gets largely depends on us. Other countries have shown how strict social distancing measures can reduce and even eliminate the number of new cases. In Britain, for now, we still have d1ckheads sitting in the pub or going on stag/hen dos and then taking everyone else’s germs home to their families. 

That was always going to be the problem when you tell the youngsters this will hardly affect them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

That was sort of my thoughts on my first post on this thread. Huge numbers of companies wouldn't survive 6 months of this: not just your local Dog n' Duck, but national chains. Anyone not working in food retailing or medicine basically.

I'm interested in what the benefit claimant figures will be soon. It was 1.6m before this I think (from memory), but I can see it getting above 10m or more. And with a much smaller tax-base, you wonder where the cash for these benefits is coming from.

A prolonged virus lockdown will break entire national economies.

Maybe it IS time for the experts to factor this in and think if there is a way those of us who aren't over 70 or with underlying health issues can all live as normal while keeping strict isolation for those that are. It'll spread, we'll take our chances, but then it'll peak and eventually those isolating can emerge to a world that might look a bit similar.

It's clear from the large numbers who think they have the disease but haven't been tested (I know of three in Bristol alone) that the genie is out the bottle. Containment has failed. Providing it stays with the healthy and young(ish) population, the NHS may not have to be overwhelmed.

Is this mad? Thoughts?

Far to sensible for any politician to understand 

Edited by bristolcitysweden
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Super said:

That was always going to be the problem when you tell the youngsters this will hardly affect them.

If they get some footage of the young dying from it maybe they will get the message, as they certainly have been in Italy.

Play it all over mainstream media and social media. It maybe hard to look at but sometimes you have to stop shielding people from the nasty shit that happens in this world.

I know what is coming out in the media is not completely true. My italian work colleague has lost 2 20 something cousins to this with No underlying health issues.. but you dont hear about that in the media.