IGNORED

If you could turn back time

Lanterne Rouge

2 minutes ago, Banjo Island said:

Yeah what a cunundrum anthony rougier or leroy lita ????

Even more of a conundrum when you add Tony Rougier into the mix!

12 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Stop some bloke in China eating a bat and ending City's 2019/2020 season!

Or alternatively "Starting with Lita!"

And if you had to choose between the two?

Lita, obvs...

17 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

A few posts on the other thread about Stoke got me thinking - if you could go back in time and change one moment in City`s history, what would it be?

A couple to start with;

Somehow stop Cheese going up for that ball with Shilton

Make the board appoint David Moyes instead of Tiny Penis.

Persuade Joe Jordan not to leave for Hearts.

Genuinely felt we were on the cusp of something then.

6 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Either, Orr not getting injured at Wembley, or Windyass slipping just before hitting that shot.

Or Mccombe not falling ill the night before the game. But yes, Windass skying that shot into row Z would have been helpful..! 

Although, as heartbreaking as it was, I don't think we were "ready" for the prem back then. Not like we are now. 

19 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Either, Orr not getting injured at Wembley, or Windyass slipping just before hitting that shot.

Adebola putting that chance away. From what I remember it was before the goal and a decent chance, kind of scuffed 

8 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Or Mccombe not falling ill the night before the game. But yes, Windass skying that shot into row Z would have been helpful..! 

Although, as heartbreaking as it was, I don't think we were "ready" for the prem back then. Not like we are now. 

Absolutely this. Gutted as I was at the time as the years have gone by I`m thinking this more and more. I fear we might have done a Pompey or a Sunderland back then whereas now I wouldn`t be anything like as worried. Financially too (post - virus aside!) getting to the prem is far more lucrative now than 12 years ago - it could be that, by going up in 2008, we might have blown a once-in-a-generation opportunity.

Easy to say since we lost and the truth is,  we`ll never know!

5 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Absolutely this. Gutted as I was at the time as the years have gone by I`m thinking this more and more. I fear we might have done a Pompey or a Sunderland back then whereas now I wouldn`t be anything like as worried. Financially too (post - virus aside!) getting to the prem is far more lucrative now than 12 years ago - it could be that, by going up in 2008, we might have blown a once-in-a-generation opportunity.

Easy to say since we lost and the truth is,  we`ll never know!

We could have done a.... Hull City, in fact..! 2 trips to the Prem and they are still in financial trouble..! 

56 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

A few posts on the other thread about Stoke got me thinking - if you could go back in time and change one moment in City`s history, what would it be?

A couple to start with;

Somehow stop Cheese going up for that ball with Shilton

Make the board appoint David Moyes instead of Tiny Penis.

Quite simply merge Rovers with City.

Convince those with the power that Bristol is a passionate place that supports sport but realistically only one team, just like Newcastle and Leeds.

If you look at the number of committed season ticket holders and away followers, for both clubs over the decades it’s a brilliant amount, especially considering the level both clubs have played at.

Imagine the family and local support that would have been garnered over the years with vast urban sprawl of Bristol, S Glos, Banes and N Somerset, all behind one club.

A one club Bristol would have been the jewel of the West Country and a national power house imo.

I know Sheffield, Manchester and Liverpool healthily support 2 clubs, but they are probably the exception to the rule.

10 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Convince those with the power that Bristol is a passionate place that supports sport but realistically only one team, just like Newcastle and Leeds.

If you look at the number of committed season ticket holders and away followers, for both clubs over the decades it’s a brilliant amount, especially considering the level both clubs have played at.

Imagine the family and local support that would have been garnered over the years with vast urban sprawl of Bristol, S Glos, Banes and N Somerset, all behind one club.

A one club Bristol would have been the jewel of the West Country and a national power house imo.

I know Sheffield, Manchester and Liverpool healthily support 2 clubs, but they are probably the exception to the rule.

I think this a viewpoint that many will automatically look at negatively, but I'm currently living in a city with only one team and it does make me ponder how things might have been different if we'd seen almost the whole South-West united behind one Bristol City. 

14 minutes ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

I think this a viewpoint that many will automatically look at negatively, but I'm currently living in a city with only one team and it does make me ponder how things might have been different if we'd seen almost the whole South-West united behind one Bristol City. 

For clarity, I did mean go back in time and suggest Bristol South End merge with problematic Black Arabs?

Choose a name that represent me the city, ‘City’ for example !

I would make sure we lose at Coventry, '77, ensuring we are relegated. I would sell Ritchie and Merrick to Arsenal, and fire AD, and appoint St. Mirren's 37 year old manager, Alex Ferguson. On a ten year contract.

Failing that, fire AD in early '74/75 season, and appoint the unemployed Brian Howard Clough.

Failing that, I might fire AD even sooner, and hire Grimsby manager Laurie McMenemy.

Failing that, I go back to 1967 and don't appoint Dicksy in the first place, pay no heed to Jimmy Hill, and instead nip in ahead of Derby County and appoint Hartlepools manager, Brian Howard Clough. 

Failing this, I somehow, in 1955, persuade Bill Shankly that Bristol and the south West of England is not-so-unlike the West of Scotland, and you should see the miners down Midsomer Norton and Radstock.....

Failing that, I would go back to 17 something or other, make Bristol the centre of the Industrial Revolution, and then ..... no, maybe not. Bristol would be like Blackburn or Burnley or Stoke or somewhere now. I'll stick with swapping Dicksy for Fergie

7 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I would make sure we lose at Coventry, '77, ensuring we are relegated. I would sell Ritchie and Merrick to Arsenal, and fire AD, and appoint St. Mirren's 37 year old manager, Alex Ferguson. On a ten year contract.

Failing that, fire AD in early '74/75 season, and appoint the unemployed Brian Howard Clough.

Failing that, I might fire AD even sooner, and hire Grimsby manager Laurie McMenemy.

Failing that, I go back to 1967 and don't appoint Dicksy in the first place, pay no heed to Jimmy Hill, and instead nip in ahead of Derby County and appoint Hartlepools manager, Brian Howard Clough. 

Failing this, I somehow, in 1955, persuade Bill Shankly that Bristol and the south West of England is not-so-unlike the West of Scotland, and you should see the miners down Midsomer Norton and Radstock.....

Failing that, I would go back to 17 something or other, make Bristol the centre of the Industrial Revolution, and then ..... no, maybe not. Bristol would be like Blackburn or Burnley or Stoke or somewhere now. I'll stick with swapping Dicksy for Fergie

Alan Dicks does not do well in these scenarios, does he.

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

Name one example in professional football anywhere in the world that this has happened and/or worked successfully.  It would be unprecedented and a complete shot in the dark.  Neither club would exist anymore and you would be asking 30,0000 people to start supporting a new team with your rival fans.

8 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Name one example in professional football anywhere in the world that this has happened and/or worked successfully.  It would be unprecedented and a complete shot in the dark.  Neither club would exist anymore and you would be asking 30,0000 people to start supporting a new team with your rival fans.

He's already clarified he meant back at the beginning, not now.

32 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

To be clear (as in my follow up post) the original post stated we could go back in time.?

Archived