IGNORED

If you could turn back time

Lanterne Rouge

Play off final 2008

Bad enough losing McCombe to sickness on the morning of the game but the key moment was this:

When Orr went off the sensible move was to bring loanee defender Vasko on and let Carey slot in at right back, a position he was familiar with. No, GJ moved Marvin Elliott to right back to allow the boy [LJ] to slot into midfield - crazy, crazy decision which, for me, cost us the game ...... grrrr

For those that can't remember Tamas VASKO: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamás_Vaskó  

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I would make sure we lose at Coventry, '77, ensuring we are relegated. I would sell Ritchie and Merrick to Arsenal, and fire AD, and appoint St. Mirren's 37 year old manager, Alex Ferguson. On a ten year contract.

Failing that, fire AD in early '74/75 season, and appoint the unemployed Brian Howard Clough.

Failing that, I might fire AD even sooner, and hire Grimsby manager Laurie McMenemy.

Failing that, I go back to 1967 and don't appoint Dicksy in the first place, pay no heed to Jimmy Hill, and instead nip in ahead of Derby County and appoint Hartlepools manager, Brian Howard Clough. 

Failing this, I somehow, in 1955, persuade Bill Shankly that Bristol and the south West of England is not-so-unlike the West of Scotland, and you should see the miners down Midsomer Norton and Radstock.....

Failing that, I would go back to 17 something or other, make Bristol the centre of the Industrial Revolution, and then ..... no, maybe not. Bristol would be like Blackburn or Burnley or Stoke or somewhere now. I'll stick with swapping Dicksy for Fergie

Did Alan Dicks run off with your missus MoP?

It has to be Cheesley I think.  I cannot understate what potential he had, and where I think that potential might have taken us.  I’m convinced he would have gone on to play for England, and that his partnership with Tom Ritchie could have provided us with the platform for establishing ourselves in the top division.  His injury did incalculable damage to us and ultimately led to our relegation and to the bankruptcy in 1982.  I can’t think of anything else which has been so influential on our future.

2 hours ago, 054123 said:

Quite simply merge Rovers with City.

Convince those with the power that Bristol is a passionate place that supports sport but realistically only one team, just like Newcastle and Leeds.

If you look at the number of committed season ticket holders and away followers, for both clubs over the decades it’s a brilliant amount, especially considering the level both clubs have played at.

Imagine the family and local support that would have been garnered over the years with vast urban sprawl of Bristol, S Glos, Banes and N Somerset, all behind one club.

A one club Bristol would have been the jewel of the West Country and a national power house imo.

I know Sheffield, Manchester and Liverpool healthily support 2 clubs, but they are probably the exception to the rule.

Give it a few more years and, with any luck, we will all find out what it is to be the dominant side in a one-club City.

If we'd have merged all those years ago we would have been denied the joy of watching the other lot becoming the architects of their own downfall in their desperate desire to keep up with us.

9 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Play off final 2008

Bad enough losing McCombe to sickness on the morning of the game but the key moment was this:

When Orr went off the sensible move was to bring loanee defender Vasko on and let Carey slot in at right back, a position he was familiar with. No, GJ moved Marvin Elliott to right back to allow the boy [LJ] to slot into midfield - crazy, crazy decision which, for me, cost us the game ...... grrrr

For those that can't remember Tamas VASKO: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamás_Vaskó  

I agree that Vasko should have come on, but equally importantly the injury to Orr should have been identified 15 minutes before it was.

1 hour ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

I think this a viewpoint that many will automatically look at negatively, but I'm currently living in a city with only one team and it does make me ponder how things might have been different if we'd seen almost the whole South-West united behind one Bristol City. 

The way things are going north of the river that one team city is not that far away.

29 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Yeah, hadn't seen that when typing it.  Fair enough....I'll hold that question back until the next "We should merge the clubs" thread!

Couldn’t do it now mate, complete agree.

5 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Couldn’t do it now mate, complete agree.

And what would we gain really not one of their players would get anywhere near our first team the most we could hope for is a couple of thousand extra fans and on some games that would mean true city fans might miss out on a seat.

2 hours ago, 054123 said:

A one club Bristol would have been the jewel of the West Country and a national power house imo.

I know Sheffield, Manchester and Liverpool healthily support 2 clubs, but they are probably the exception to the rule...

.... along with Birmingham, London, Glasgow .... it’s an interesting debate, many will automatically refuse to consider it, and I’ve definitely been one of those over the years, but it would be good to know what might have been if our ‘annoying little nephew’ up the road had never existed - wonder where we’d be now?

28 minutes ago, pillred said:

And what would we gain really not one of their players would get anywhere near our first team the most we could hope for is a couple of thousand extra fans and on some games that would mean true city fans might miss out on a seat.

Come on pill think about theres plenty they could bring to the table the fizlesss fanta stale crisp canopy sprinklers tv with exspensive special bracket assortment of white placky patio chairs wooden thatchers gold clock thats just for starters mate

36 minutes ago, pillred said:

I wouldn't worry, they would spend the entire time wandering around gawping at the facilities of the best medium sized stadium in the country in total awe. 'Shops in a football stadium, wow!' 

21 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

.... along with Birmingham, London, Glasgow .... it’s an interesting debate, many will automatically refuse to consider it, and I’ve definitely been one of those over the years, but it would be good to know what might have been if our ‘annoying little nephew’ up the road had never existed - wonder where we’d be now?

Yeah I certainly don’t think we’d be an elite club, but as I say, just looking at our joint support levels both home and away, despite knocking around the lower leagues for the majority of our existence, does make you wonder.

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

Did Alan Dicks run off with your missus MoP?

Funny you should say that, but I'm led to believe he lived in the road where my missus to be lived when she moved to Bristol in 80/81 (so unless he was a paediatrician, no), as well as the Bishop of Bath and Wells, who would go on to be Archbishop of Canterbury. Funny old game (football, archbishops and missuseses)

Lee Miller scores in the last min at the County Ground......but we all know he bloody missed a sitter.........:disapointed2se:

Had we won that match then automatic promotion to the Championship would have been pretty much nailed on. Instead we ended up losing in the final to Brighton...........:no:

4 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

Name one example in professional football anywhere in the world that this has happened and/or worked successfully.  It would be unprecedented and a complete shot in the dark.  Neither club would exist anymore and you would be asking 30,0000 people to start supporting a new team with your rival fans.

Stretching it a bit but Irthlingborough Diamonds and Rushden Town merged to form Rushton and Diamonds. The club initially had success and reached the football league, with Brian Talbot as manage,  before it went pear shaped. 

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Stretching it a bit but Irthlingborough Diamonds and Rushden Town merged to form Rushton and Diamonds. The club initially had success and reached the football league, with Brian Talbot as manage,  before it went pear shaped. 

Definitely stretching.....which is why i mentioned Professional!  And the last bit says it all. :)

31 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

30 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Definitely stretching.....which is why i mentioned Professional!  And the last bit says it all. :)

Inverness Caledonian Thistle?

5 hours ago, SuperDziek said:

Am I right in thinking the choice between Moyes and Pauli’s in 99 went down to a deciding vote. And that vote went with Pulis? Would clearly change that moment. Who had the casting vote - was it Laycock?

Not sure how true it is but I heard Moyes was asked to cut short a family holiday in America to fly to Bristol and sign. By the time he got here Pulis had been appointed.

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

We’d possibly be stuck with a couple of hundred twelve fingered, cranially challenged retards that currently consider the sags their team.

I think the sags are doing a very good job siphoning up the dregs of Bristol’s populace and saving us from getting infested by them instead.

Let’s be honest, they’ve been pure comedy gold over the last few years and would we really want to miss out on all those laughs?

10 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Not sure how true it is but I heard Moyes was asked to cut short a family holiday in America to fly to Bristol and sign. By the time he got here Pulis had been appointed.

Not too far off.  He was in the States with Preston on a pre-season tour and was due to fly back for an interview, but was contacted before he boarded the flight to tell him that Penis had got the job.

Archived