IGNORED

If you could turn back time

Lanterne Rouge

21 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

Name one example in professional football anywhere in the world that this has happened and/or worked successfully.  It would be unprecedented and a complete shot in the dark.  Neither club would exist anymore and you would be asking 30,0000 people to start supporting a new team with your rival fans.

Rushden & Diamonds?!

3 hours ago, glastonred said:

Rushden & Diamonds?!

Key words....Professional, Successful.  Inverness is the nearest anyone has come to suggestion a merger that has worked, and it has indeed been a relative success, but they are still an extremely small club and were part time clubs when they merged.

On 22/04/2020 at 12:23, Moments of Pleasure said:

I would make sure we lose at Coventry, '77, ensuring we are relegated. I would sell Ritchie and Merrick to Arsenal, and fire AD, and appoint St. Mirren's 37 year old manager, Alex Ferguson. On a ten year contract.

Failing that, fire AD in early '74/75 season, and appoint the unemployed Brian Howard Clough.

Failing that, I might fire AD even sooner, and hire Grimsby manager Laurie McMenemy.

Failing that, I go back to 1967 and don't appoint Dicksy in the first place, pay no heed to Jimmy Hill, and instead nip in ahead of Derby County and appoint Hartlepools manager, Brian Howard Clough. 

Failing this, I somehow, in 1955, persuade Bill Shankly that Bristol and the south West of England is not-so-unlike the West of Scotland, and you should see the miners down Midsomer Norton and Radstock.....

Failing that, I would go back to 17 something or other, make Bristol the centre of the Industrial Revolution, and then ..... no, maybe not. Bristol would be like Blackburn or Burnley or Stoke or somewhere now. I'll stick with swapping Dicksy for Fergie

But we'd have sacked Fergie long before he brought us any honours. He didn't have an auspicious start at United and we didn't have a board as financially aware or as patient as SL now. If I'd appointed anyone else at that time I'd have looked at Bobby Robson. 

17 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

Key words....Professional, Successful.  Inverness is the nearest anyone has come to suggestion a merger that has worked, and it has indeed been a relative success, but they are still an extremely small club and were part time clubs when they merged.

Gave rise to one of the best headlines ever mind 

On 22/04/2020 at 13:23, headhunter said:

Play off final 2008

Bad enough losing McCombe to sickness on the morning of the game but the key moment was this:

When Orr went off the sensible move was to bring loanee defender Vasko on and let Carey slot in at right back, a position he was familiar with. No, GJ moved Marvin Elliott to right back to allow the boy [LJ] to slot into midfield - crazy, crazy decision which, for me, cost us the game ...... grrrr

For those that can't remember Tamas VASKO: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamás_Vaskó  

By far the worst decision, Marvin Elliott was voted by his fellow professionals into the Championship players' player team that season, our driving force in midfield. I believe we would have won that day but for that decision. Fortunately I watched all City's top flight games in the 70's, but gutted for my sons and all City fans who didn't get the opportunity of seeing top flight football at the Gate the following season. Yes, Johnson Snr couldn't help himself, had to see his boy run out at Wembley. 

On 23/04/2020 at 14:24, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

But we'd have sacked Fergie long before he brought us any honours. He didn't have an auspicious start at United and we didn't have a board as financially aware or as patient as SL now. If I'd appointed anyone else at that time I'd have looked at Bobby Robson. 

Man Utd's not his only job, though. Managing Bristol City is not akin to managing - or turning around - Manchester United. 

And we're talking - or fantasising - here about the late 1970s, when managers were given more time.

And with the benefit of hindsight - the idea behind this thread - I think, on reflection, that, yes, I would try Sir Alex over Alan Dicks. Worth a try, I'd wager.

Bobby Robson? Yes, all an upgrade on AD (no offence)

On 22/04/2020 at 17:29, Lanterne Rouge said:

A few posts on the other thread about Stoke got me thinking - if you could go back in time and change one moment in City`s history, what would it be?

A couple to start with;

Somehow stop Cheese going up for that ball with Shilton

Make the board appoint David Moyes instead of Tiny Penis.

Th big cheese was definitely a tragic occurrence and I’m sure those of us old enough to see him get injured would be one we would all like not to have occurred.

Archived