IGNORED

10 years ago today....

Tinmans Love Child

I remember going to Aldershot for a pre season friendly while he was in charge, we got beat 0-3, after the game we went round to the players entrance to get some autographs, when Coppell came out he was in a foul mood.

My mate asked him if he was settling in well, he said “not really” from that moment on I knew he wouldn’t be with us long! An appointment that promised so much, and delivered so little.

• Admin

One thing that was very odd and I am not sure I have ever heard it answered.

He didn't attend our remaining games that season as he claimed he was out in America sorting things out, then a few weeks later was pictured at Brentford FC watching a game with his son

I remember being in a big queue to meet Steve Coppell and get a photo with him at the pre season Open Day.

When I got to the front I said, 'Welcome to Bristol City Steve, great to have you at Ashton Gate. We've all got every confidence you're going to really take this club forward.'

'I wish I did', he replied. :noexp:

Although issues appeared after his appointment (the David James saga etc), I am sure, and am saying it with the knowledge of how things panned out,  that the recruitment process was totally flawed.  I am no expert, but , with a vacancy that had existed for a few months, the club had 4 options:- 

1)  See if there is a manager out there who is currently employed, but had the credentials (obviously nothing is guaranteed!) to bring success to the club and pay compensation to bring him to the club (aka headhunting).

2)  Assess the caretaker manager's (in this case Keith Millen) performance/results/potential and make a decision on how/if that might bring success.

3) Advertise the job and see who applies and pick the best applicant.

4) Approach an out of work manager who had a good track record at this level, but would not apply for the job as he has lost his hunger for the game/love of the role, and has no link (however tenuous) to the club which might re-ignite his interest.  

We chose option 4!

17 hours ago, phantom said:

One thing that was very odd and I am not sure I have ever heard it answered.

He didn't attend our remaining games that season as he claimed he was out in America sorting things out, then a few weeks later was pictured at Brentford FC watching a game with his son

Yes I heard that one,but he was allegedly on holiday.I would have thought that a new manager would have wanted to watch his new team to see who he wanted to keep or let go during the close season

Archived