IGNORED

What other club's strips did you have as a kid

Unan

30 minutes ago, Elruliri said:

When I was a young kid in the late 70's I used to get a lot of hand me downs from my cousin, Notts forest felt the best, manure utd away white kit with two black lines and liverpool Hitachi kits were itchy. My first City kit was from the early 80's a a white away kit with the Robin badge in the middle of the chest.

I had the forest one and yeah it was really soft silk material....

1 hour ago, nickolas said:

Leeds! ?

ok, ok. I was only young, their shirts were nice, they had Tony Yeboah. I got carried away!

Thankfully i now hate them!?

To be fair, if it was this one then it was a thing of beauty (even if it was Leeds), quite minimalist for the era (I think around the same time they also had a navy blue and green striped away kit which was equally as smart)

Tony Yeboah Delighted To Take Leeds United Role

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Had a Crystal Palace shirt - it was cheap in Sportscene up Broadwalk!!!  City and England other than that random one.

Blast from the past 'Sportscene ' .Martin's with the record store in the corner was another favourite haunt of mine.

44 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Blast from the past 'Sportscene ' .Martin's with the record store in the corner was another favourite haunt of mine.

Spent many a Saturday morning browsing the record section of Martins.Happy days.

First and only replica shirt (before this seasons black away shirt) was Scotland 1974 with a big number 9 on the back. Joe Jordan was my non City hero and aged 12 I was oblivious to the England / Scotland rivalry.

Tottenham in the 80’s, a Le Coq Sportif one, but only due to needing a football shirt for school and mum found it in Oxfam for pennies. (I was living in Essex).

And a generic red Umbro that was cheap in Asda when I was 5 and I was convinced it was a real City shirt. Lived in Manchester at the time so everyone assumed I was a Man U fan.

13 hours ago, Elruliri said:

When I was a young kid in the late 70's I used to get a lot of hand me downs from my cousin, Notts forest felt the best, manure utd away white kit with two black lines and liverpool Hitachi kits were itchy. My first City kit was from the early 80's a a white away kit with the Robin badge in the middle of the chest.

Was your cousin a bit of a glory hunter by any chance? 

Apart from a mid 90's Rangers away.  I came across a photo of chubby little me, aged 8/9 ish , wearing a Crystal Palace kit.
Now this isn't the 'team of the 80's kit, this isn't even the team with Alan Wittle (I loved Everton as 2nd team in Junior school) and Don Rodgers (brilliant player), it was the 69/70 kit. Nice kit, but have no idea why I had it, apart from replica shirts were rare, and it looked nice.

13 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I used to buy knockoffs on holiday. I remember an Ajax one and, for some reason Deportivo La Coruna (I think it was when they had Bebeto playing for them). I also think I had a CS Maritimo one from a holiday in Madeira.

On holiday in Turkey I bought their national  team shirt with ‘ Mansiz ‘ on the back. It was this player that scored the ‘ golden goal ‘ to take them through to the World Cup semis in 2002. 

I was exceedingly well received wherever I went when wearing it . 

( Travel tip from the Major , foreigners love to be patronised ). 
:yes:

14 hours ago, Midred said:

No one bought a Brechin  City shirt by mistake then?

Until a few years ago there was a Brechin fan who occasionally posted on here. He pointed out both teams are BCFC and both play in red & white.

Interesting that Brechin started in blue, but are now red; http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Brechin_City/brechin_city.htm

My aunty gave me a Gas shirt as a Christmas present around 1970. I do remember keeping it for some reason. At this time i was young but my dad took me to all home games at Ashton gate and was a die hard City fan from day one.

The gas shirt I kept and it was always a joking point over past years. I misplaced it several times when we moved houses but some for some reason the missues must have packed it and the shirt would always appear now again.

it was 2018 when my dad visited me from the UK. We also had my son and family down from Darwin and it was winter time in Perth. We have an out side fire pit by the Barbie and one night after too many beers there was my old may he RIP as he passed away last year,  my son, myself and the rest of us and we actually burned the Gas shirt.

Im still explaining to my grandson who is now 9 years old the significance of the ritual.

COYR.

Archived