Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

RIP Buster Footman - UPDATED with funeral arrangements

6 hours ago, Ecko said:

What a ******* shit year this is. 

RIP Buster

Yep. Sadly our first game back we will be paying our respects to a few City Legends.

My fading memory recalls listening to the commentary of the Liverpool replay at Anfield on Radio 5 (or was it still Radio 2 that did the sport then?), and Alan Green (I think!) noting Sir Buster's attire being not appropriate for the conditions.  

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I could also see “Beryl & Buster’s Bar” being a popular venue somewhere in the stadium ...

Beryl was a devout Methodist who didn't drink alcohol. Buster's Bar or Buster's name on the top of the home dug out and the Beryl Fudge Club Shop or the Beryl Fudge Away Travel Service.

Genuinely gutted about this. 

Legend doesn't do the man justice. If everyone was even a little bit like Buster the world would be a better place.

RIP Buster and condolences to all his family and friends

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Dynamite Red said:

RIP Buster

Perhaps part of the Stadium or new training ground could be dedicated or named after him.  I am sure he would see the funny side of a "Buster Footman Physio Room".

City legend.

Just had a similar conversation with some friends. 
I’m sure the club would be able to create the ‘Buster Footman Rehab Centre’ at the new training ground. 
He certainly deserves something. 

• Like 2

Evening all, i'm normally just a reader on the forum but really wanted to post about Buster. In the early 90's i was a reasonable County League player and i broke my leg during a game. My Dad phoned City to see if they could offer any advice on my rehab and he soon had a call back from Buster inviting us down to a reserve game at The Gate.

Buster was obviously busy on the night giving massages etc (Wayne Allison was playing amongst others) but he still spent at least 10 minutes talking with me and my Dad about exercises that would help strengthen my leg and wished me all the best with my rehab.

It meant the world to me as a 14 year old Premiership wannabe and just shows what a fantastic bloke he was.

RIP BUSTER

• Like 9

I will always remember him being in the yellow and green away shirt 1998/99.

RIP Buster Footman. Love the idea a few have mentioned about wearing a tshirt to a game in winter next season, i would most definitely participate. I feel the cold more than most so was always amazed how he would be the same in all weathers!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, TomF said:

Anyone remembering him being in an edition of shoot magazine, must of been mid 90's I reckon. 

Not Shoot but I've scanned these two articles from match programmes (1990 and 1991)

IMG_20200519_0001.jpg

IMG_20200519_0002.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had a great chat with Buster at AG in 2018, at the launch of the Wembley Wonders book. I asked him about his name, was it really Buster. Nope Harold he said. Why Buster then? I asked. Because he said, when he was a baby, he often had his fists clenched as though he was going to punch someone. His Granny said he looks like a right hard bastard. Obviously bastard wasn't an appropriate name so Buster became his name!  Great chat with him RIP Buster

• Like 3
On 18/05/2020 at 01:18, son of buster said:

Hi, I'm Busters son, I can confirm Dad passed away on Sunday evening, thank you so much for all your kind words and support. He loved City x

Very sad news. Condolences to you and your family.

Rest In Peace Buster.

• Like 1

I read in the Post that Buster's funeral will be on Thursday, June 4th. As the current restrictions prevent attending the service it is suggested that the cortege will pass Ashton Gate at 3pm and fans may respectfully line the road in red and white. Sounds a good idea in the present circumstances and one to send him on in true City style.

• Robin 1

Thank you everyone for you wonderful memories and kind words,. I look forward to getting to Ashton Gate once everything is back to normal,so we can give dad the proper send off he deserves. You have a place in my heart forever #CTID 

On 18/05/2020 at 10:20, ITK..... said:

Singing " buster's gonna get you !" As he ran on the pitch with his t shirt on come rain or shine!! 

Legend is over used but not in buster's case. Fans could relate to buster. 

Top man. 

RIP buster

• Like 4
  • Robin 2

Genuinely upset about this.

Players seem to come & go but Buster was always there in his T-shirt, certainly throughout the 1990s. A smile for everyone and an absolute City legend. Surely the club can have a permanent way to remember him?

Condolences to his family.

• Like 1

It says a lot about football that we will never see a character like Buster again. Makes me feel privileged that we had him at our club for so long.Hope Buster's family has taken some comfort from this thread.

• Like 1

I find it touching that the feeling appears to have been mutual that Buster loved Bristol and Bristol City just as much as Bristol and Bristol City loved him, it does almost feel like the end of an era in some ways 

• Like 1

RIP Buster, and sincere condolences to his family.

Although of the blue persuasion, I remember Buster (and his t-shirt) well - one of the games enduring characters who many people respected, regardless of club colours.

I hope that he gets a good send-off on his final journey past Ashton Gate.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1