IGNORED

RIP Buster Footman - UPDATED with funeral arrangements

glynriley

2 hours ago, glynriley said:

Mate just text to say say Buster is recovering in hospital following a heart attack. 

He's probably sat up in bed in a t-shirt...!

If true, speedy recovery Buster. 

If true?! Surely you would have checked this was genuine before placing such an emotive post on a public forum? Buster is another character whose place in our history is assured ...but surely check such a story is true before announcing it?

Buster played bowls after his retirement for RBL Portishead and was captain with them for a season and my outdoor club play in the same league as them playing against them around three or four times over the summer - sometimes more.

Consequently we all know each other pretty well and I asked after Buster not having seen him for at least a couple of years. Sadly I discovered that he’d developed Alzheimer’s and was no longer playing. Very sad indeed.

With  advanced dementia he won’t realise just how poorly he’s become and I guess that’s a blessing in many ways.

As a dorky 15 year old i got to attend a physio course with buster at ashton gate, in the old williams stand treatment room. Was a lovely guy. He would have martin Scott in doing the course with him, demonstrating the muscle groups of the legs,,, cause his legs were like tree trunks.

as someone else said, not many other physios are recalled so fondly 25 years later, buster was great!

5 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Sums the man up when a physio and i dont mean that in a detrimental way is held in such high regard, I couldn't name our physio from 5 years ago....will never forget Buster tho, great character from our recent history.

As far as I’m aware Buster had no professional physio qualifications but had learnt his trade in the army. I can’t remember when he was appointed at City but it seems as if he’d been there for decades. I really can’t remember who was the ‘sponge man’ before he was.

He has/had a typical army PI character. A mans man, personall very fit and very tough - hence why we never saw Buster sprinting onto the pitch in anything other than a T shirt regardless of the weather!  Quite remarkable when you think about it.

A unique character for sure.

Archived