IGNORED

RIP Buster Footman - UPDATED with funeral arrangements

glynriley

1 hour ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

Although the young 'uns won't understand it, the responses to this thread from use old geezers and gals speak absolute volumes about Buster.  Sorry to read @Robbored added news of Buster's Alzheimers.........I lost my Dad to it this week.  

Legend is a title earned by BF, from use oldies.

Sorry for your loss. 

5 hours ago, Slacker said:

I think Buster is the only physio I can ever recall.Didnt we have a lady doctor Helen or something for while?All the best Buster,a proper character. 

We did. I recall a game when Shaun Taylor took one in the nads. She ran out with her magic sponge to the sound of everyone encouraging Taylor to "stay down, stay down"

when I first started going down it felt like the club was built on three pillars beginning with B: Buster, Beryl and (Super) Bob! 

Get well Buster, a real legend. Saw there was a thread on here not long back campaigning to give Scott Murray a testimonial, but I honestly think (and whilst not knocking Scotty's own immense contribution to the club), that there are other great servants to Bristol City who would probably benefit more from such a gesture: Buster is an ideal example!

51 minutes ago, iamsober said:

Didn't he have one in 1999?

I stand completely corrected - I had totally no idea, but just googled and it appears you're spot on. More so, it appears he had a couple of games (one held at Clevedon Town, and another at AG where apparently we played a Man Utd select XI. I have no memory of either game whatsoever! 

Nonetheless, no idea what his personal situation is (I'm imaging he's not the sort to spunk his money on birds, booze and gambling!), but I think a servant like that working so diligently and passionately behind the scenes is more deserving of a benefit than a former player given the rewards are likely to be have been far more modest. Then again, I don't want to deflect from the actual point of this thread which is to wish him well and a speedy recovery! 

7 hours ago, poland_exile said:

I stand completely corrected - I had totally no idea, but just googled and it appears you're spot on. More so, it appears he had a couple of games (one held at Clevedon Town, and another at AG where apparently we played a Man Utd select XI. I have no memory of either game whatsoever! 

Nonetheless, no idea what his personal situation is (I'm imaging he's not the sort to spunk his money on birds, booze and gambling!), but I think a servant like that working so diligently and passionately behind the scenes is more deserving of a benefit than a former player given the rewards are likely to be have been far more modest. Then again, I don't want to deflect from the actual point of this thread which is to wish him well and a speedy recovery! 

Was that the game that finished 3-3? I remember watching that in the open end.

• Admin
25 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The poster who said that physios are rarely remembered us correct.

In seventy years, I can only remember, Wilf Copping 1955 promotion side, Les Bardsley who was at City for a very long time and Buster Footman.

All big characters.

Gill someone or other because a fuss was made about us having a female physio. I was surprised to see she came back and is still involved following her pregnancy. 

Apart from her and Buster I have no idea. 

I have no idea who is our current physio 

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

The poster who said that physios are rarely remembered us correct.

In seventy years, I can only remember, Wilf Copping 1955 promotion side, Les Bardsley who was at City for a very long time and Buster Footman.

All big characters.

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Gill someone or other because a fuss was made about us having a female physio. I was surprised to see she came back and is still involved following her pregnancy. 

Apart from her and Buster I have no idea. 

I have no idea who is our current physio 

Alex Lockhart, I think he was the most qualified of the lot, I remember it being said that he had started out with intention of being a doctor. Often looked fitter than many of the players. 
It’s more of team effort now isn’t it? The always talk about the medical team, rather than individuals. 

3 hours ago, PolskRed said:

Was that the game that finished 3-3? I remember watching that in the open end.

no, the 3-3 I think was Garland's benefit in 92 or 93ish (United had just won the title for the first time in years). That was a belting night! Great atmosphere for a friendly! BUster's Man U match I have no further details other than what I've gleaned from the net - apparently it was a largely U21 team they faced with Wes Brown the name that stands out. I have no recollection of this game at all and would love to know further details!! 

9 hours ago, poland_exile said:

no, the 3-3 I think was Garland's benefit in 92 or 93ish (United had just won the title for the first time in years). That was a belting night! Great atmosphere for a friendly! BUster's Man U match I have no further details other than what I've gleaned from the net - apparently it was a largely U21 team they faced with Wes Brown the name that stands out. I have no recollection of this game at all and would love to know further details!! 

https://www.footballprogrammes.net/manchester-united-1992-1993-c-742_2_18/chris-garland-testimonial-benefit-bristol-city-multi-signed-1993-p-49821.html

Archived