IGNORED

RIP Buster Footman - UPDATED with funeral arrangements

glynriley

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I could also see “Beryl & Buster’s Bar” being a popular venue somewhere in the stadium ...

Beryl was a devout Methodist who didn't drink alcohol. Buster's Bar or Buster's name on the top of the home dug out and the Beryl Fudge Club Shop or the Beryl Fudge Away Travel Service.

5 hours ago, Dynamite Red said:

RIP Buster

Perhaps part of the Stadium or new training ground could be dedicated or named after him.  I am sure he would see the funny side of a "Buster Footman Physio Room".

City legend.

Just had a similar conversation with some friends. 
I’m sure the club would be able to create the ‘Buster Footman Rehab Centre’ at the new training ground. 
He certainly deserves something. 

Evening all, i'm normally just a reader on the forum but really wanted to post about Buster. In the early 90's i was a reasonable County League player and i broke my leg during a game. My Dad phoned City to see if they could offer any advice on my rehab and he soon had a call back from Buster inviting us down to a reserve game at The Gate.

Buster was obviously busy on the night giving massages etc (Wayne Allison was playing amongst others) but he still spent at least 10 minutes talking with me and my Dad about exercises that would help strengthen my leg and wished me all the best with my rehab.

It meant the world to me as a 14 year old Premiership wannabe and just shows what a fantastic bloke he was.

RIP BUSTER

In the same vein as Edgy Red above, I thought I would share my memories of Buster Footman - more specifically how he helped my younger brother.

My brother as an 11 year old was playing in a junior '7 a side' football tournament for Yatton Athletic (summer 1992), where he broke his leg after being badly tackled by a 16 year old. For some unknown reason, they used to lump all age groups in together and unfortunately suffered a bad break.  For anyone who had a plaster cast as a child, these were completely different to the casts of today, and were heavy and cumbersome with no way of maintaining any movement.

Some eight weeks later, he had the cast removed the muscles in his leg had literally withered away, and he could barely stand or walk let alone run again.  My parents at the time couldn't afford private physiotherapy, and I think in the early 1990s physiotherapy was quite a new thing for the NHS, so you were left to basically get on with it.  

My Dad wrote to Bristol City, asking them if they could provide any advice on his rehabilitation, as he was really struggling. Remarkably, we received a phone call from Buster Footman, who invited my brother and Mum and Dad into the club so he could take a look the following Monday!  So, to cut a long story short, Buster literally helped my brother to walk and run properly again over the course of a few months.  I remember also going along as well, and remember Matt being up on one of the players benches alongside Russell Osman and Ray Atteveld, who were also receiving treatment!  I also remember Russell Osman asking me to leave the medical room, not because he didn't want us there but because he was about to get an injection and didn't want to upset my Mum with any bad language!

Looking back at this, it seems absolutely remarkable that this occurred, what with the way football clubs seem to be run nowadays which often seem so far removed from the fan base.  I remember finally that his last visit was on the lunchtime before a game, and he had my brother running up and down the side of the pitch alongside the players, as they were doing stretches before the turnstiles were open.  I remember the game was against Charlton, and city won 2-1, October 1992.  

Thank you Buster.

I had a great chat with Buster at AG in 2018, at the launch of the Wembley Wonders book. I asked him about his name, was it really Buster. Nope Harold he said. Why Buster then? I asked. Because he said, when he was a baby, he often had his fists clenched as though he was going to punch someone. His Granny said he looks like a right hard bastard. Obviously bastard wasn't an appropriate name so Buster became his name!  Great chat with him RIP Buster

On 18/05/2020 at 01:18, son of buster said:

Hi, I'm Busters son, I can confirm Dad passed away on Sunday evening, thank you so much for all your kind words and support. He loved City x

Very sad news. Condolences to you and your family.

Rest In Peace Buster.

I read in the Post that Buster's funeral will be on Thursday, June 4th. As the current restrictions prevent attending the service it is suggested that the cortege will pass Ashton Gate at 3pm and fans may respectfully line the road in red and white. Sounds a good idea in the present circumstances and one to send him on in true City style.

Thank you everyone for you wonderful memories and kind words,. I look forward to getting to Ashton Gate once everything is back to normal,so we can give dad the proper send off he deserves. You have a place in my heart forever #CTID 

On 18/05/2020 at 10:20, ITK..... said:

Singing " buster's gonna get you !" As he ran on the pitch with his t shirt on come rain or shine!! 

Legend is over used but not in buster's case. Fans could relate to buster. 

Top man. 

RIP buster

Genuinely upset about this.

Players seem to come & go but Buster was always there in his T-shirt, certainly throughout the 1990s. A smile for everyone and an absolute City legend. Surely the club can have a permanent way to remember him?

Condolences to his family.

It says a lot about football that we will never see a character like Buster again. Makes me feel privileged that we had him at our club for so long.Hope Buster's family has taken some comfort from this thread.

RIP Buster, and sincere condolences to his family.

Although of the blue persuasion, I remember Buster (and his t-shirt) well - one of the games enduring characters who many people respected, regardless of club colours.

I hope that he gets a good send-off on his final journey past Ashton Gate.

On 21/05/2020 at 23:29, Erithacus said:

I read in the Post that Buster's funeral will be on Thursday, June 4th. As the current restrictions prevent attending the service it is suggested that the cortege will pass Ashton Gate at 3pm and fans may respectfully line the road in red and white. Sounds a good idea in the present circumstances and one to send him on in true City style.

Great idea - do you know if this is either Ashton Rd or Winterstoke Rd? 

Archived