IGNORED

Steve Cotterill article

Lew-T

interesting read.

I think if you would have followed the Cotterill model he probably would have had is up by now, but it comes with great risk. It’s the same way Bournemouth and Brighton did it, but what a gamble. If you don’t manage to do it you are well and truly in the ****.

We’ve chosen a different route now and the real success from that will not be promotion, but sustainability. That is the prize ultimately. A one off, bounce up and down year, may happen if the planets align.

Found this bit interesting...

Sometimes you have to be flexible, but the key is communicating that to your players clearly. 

For me the key to a good team is having a clear idea and that gets muddled up these days when people talk about ‘identity’. If you have an identity it means you can only play one way, so I don’t think you want an identity.

People may say my team had one, but they had a clear idea of what to do if a team pressed us, or dropped off us. That’s what in the end gave us a winning system, the players being comfortable with us on the pitch. 

We spent a lot of time in the classroom and that was key, especially when the lads’ legs were a bit heavy due to the amount of games we had to play.  

Football can be played in a lot of different ways: aggressive, defensive, attacking, counter-attacking – you can’t say one is good and one is bad. There is not one winning system, you just need to be comfortable with yours. 

It’s about having a clear idea, not an identity, otherwise you’re easy to work out.

2 hours ago, 054123 said:

interesting read.

I think if you would have followed the Cotterill model he probably would have had is up by now, but it comes with great risk. It’s the same way Bournemouth and Brighton did it, but what a gamble. If you don’t manage to do it you are well and truly in the ****.

We’ve chosen a different route now and the real success from that will not be promotion, but sustainability. That is the prize ultimately. A one off, bounce up and down year, may happen if the planets align.

It wasn’t SC’s plan to chase targets who were out of our league and price bracket, that happened because of how woefully disorganised the summer had been.

MA arrived in mid-January, the same week SC got the chop, and we brought in six players by the end of the month.

In terms of spending since, we’ve not exactly been afraid of splashing the cash... Balanced out by sales of players like Flint and Bryan who SC has a big claim in developing.

Difference between that team and the team we’ve seen of late is the winning mentality. It must help when the fans feel the same, different in League 1 to the Championship but I haven’t felt walking into AG this is an easy 3 points whereas that season regardless of who we played a draw felt like a loss. That club mentality is probably why we didn’t lose many, only 7 in all comps? Wouldn’t mind another season like that again

1 hour ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Difference between that team and the team we’ve seen of late is the winning mentality. It must help when the fans feel the same, different in League 1 to the Championship but I haven’t felt walking into AG this is an easy 3 points whereas that season regardless of who we played a draw felt like a loss. That club mentality is probably why we didn’t lose many, only 7 in all comps? Wouldn’t mind another season like that again

As you've already said yourself, the difference being that we are now in the Championship. Arguably the most competitive division in the world. There are no easy 3 points - whereas most of League 1 is dross. 

28 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

As you've already said yourself, the difference being that we are now in the Championship. Arguably the most competitive division in the world. There are no easy 3 points - whereas most of League 1 is dross. 

That was a great season and great memories but I remember us playing teams that even if they were through on goal you just knew it wouldn’t end up in the back of the net. And some of the defending was embarrassing, Wilbs did most CBs for pace

Again, one of my favourite seasons ever but LJ has achieved more by solidifying City as a top half championship team in my opinion. Going to places like Craven Cottage and Bramall Lane with no fear and regularly coming away with 3 points has never really been City’s style and LJ should be given credit for getting results of that standard in this division regardless of whether he’s the man to take us to the next level. 

However, would he have given us the season Cotts gave us? Probably not. SC as a league one manager is one of the best you can get.

2 hours ago, Roland starling said:

Just imagine the side we've got now in Div 1 !! Massively different standard .

Saying that, really enjoyed that double season .

I reckon I would quite fancy Cotts side then to beat Johnsons present side to be honest.

10 hours ago, 054123 said:

interesting read.

I think if we followed SC’s plan then we would of had another promotion for sure. But it would have been from League 1 again because we were certain for relegation. Loved that season but the season after was a shambles.

10 hours ago, Roland starling said:

Just imagine the side we've got now in Div 1 !! Massively different standard .

Saying that, really enjoyed that double season .

You mean like the FA cup side at Shrewsbury ?

Cott's team would have stuffed them.

How do you reflect on that season now, five years on?

"Great memories with some great people. I’d like to thank the fans around Bristol who still come up to me now and thank me for that season.

I reply that it was a long time ago now, but they say it’ll never be forgotten, which is quite nice.

I thank them for their kind words and it’s nice to feel you made a lasting impact because the fans there were superb."

You just know he means every word.

9 hours ago, BobbyC said:

You mean like the FA cup side at Shrewsbury ?

Cott's team would have stuffed them.

That is just a one off though.

But if that's the case then they would have done as well as we did against Man United and both legs of Man City......

2 hours ago, wood_red said:

That is just a one off though.

But if that's the case then they would have done as well as we did against Man United and both legs of Man City......

And wouldn’t have lost to Oxford in that season in the League Cup. 

50 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Anyone spot how Cotts has been edited/cut out of any mention of the double winning side recap highlights that the club have been posting...?

He's mentioned (twice) in the article text ..and the last pic shows him with his medal around his neck celebrating with the team on the pitch.

20 hours ago, GTFABM said:

I think if we followed SC’s plan then we would of had another promotion for sure. But it would have been from League 1 again because we were certain for relegation. Loved that season but the season after was a shambles.

If we had followed his plan from the start of the season ( transfer window) we would have been pushing at the top end of the table imo.

2 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

If we had followed his plan from the start of the season ( transfer window) we would have been pushing at the top end of the table imo.

Andre Gray, Harry Maguire and Dwight Gayle wasn’t it?

But then the rug got pulled from underneath him. 

Disgraceful. 

And now Johnson has got carte Blanche to buy whoever the **** he wants and still have no attempts on goal and be absolute dog shit at home. The comparison is so far from fair it’s untrue. 

20 hours ago, GTFABM said:

Cotterill with Tomlin would’ve kept us up imo. He signed when we had no manager. Put Tomlin in with Cotterill still in charge then we still stay up that season

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Cotterill with Tomlin would’ve kept us up imo. He signed when we had no manager. Put Tomlin in with Cotterill still in charge then we still stay up that season

The reason we were going down was not because we lacked a flair player who had a good game 1 in 5. 

Archived