IGNORED

Steve Cotterill article

Lew-T

16 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Didn’t we buy Kodja that summer so him and Maguire cancel each other out basically fee wise. Gray was available for 4m and we don’t know who would of been released if we had signed him.  Also if we had signed him on a 4 year contract  that would  of been 4m over 4 years so would of still been in.

All I know is the fees were agreed with the clubs, and someone then tried to renegotiate after SC went on holiday. Not sure how much they wanted to save even if it was a 200k, club were still prepared to bid for them.

After SC left club signed 3 high earners on loan in Tomlin Pearce and Matthews so money was available. Also signed O donnell and Golbourne on permanents along with Gladwin also on loan so money was available.

We did indeed- and what a bargain and return we had on him! Kodjia-Gray up front, with Maguire as one of the 3 CBs...can you imagine?? That could have been really great, looking back, that possibility.

Ah sorry, I misread- Gray £1m per year amortisation yes. I forget what Kodjia's fee was?

In fairness, we don't know what wages Cotts was looking to offer them or had agreed- we'll never know I guess (unless you or anyone can find out ? ) but if it was say £30k per week for one or both, I can see the clubs thinking at that time- but then again as you say we signed in January so we may not have required some of those January 2016 signings.

Then again, could Cotts have used the loan signings better, plus reigned in his ambition for just a year until our income started to rise? We were walking a bit of a tightrope with the risk of automatic embargo if we get it wrong.

I'm not in the business of blaming anyone, but it's a shame how it ended. 

I'm conflicted on it.

The double season was, in my opinion, the third best achievement in the club's history behind finishing second in the first Division and the FA Cup Final appearance all those years ago. And yes; I would put it ahead of the first division promotion in the 70's.

There were so many fond memories that season.

Two things the most that stick in my mind about the opening day heat at Bramall Lane is how well marshalled we were at goal kicks with Ayling and Williams always available for Frankie and how lost Brighton bound Sam Baldock looked.

After that victory, at a place we were notoriously bad at, I just couldn't see who was going to beat us. Even the injustice at the County Ground didn't dispell it. It seemed to galvanise the players and club even more. On the flip side of that we had JET's effortless skill and unique penalty taking.

Cotts could be charming and abrasive but always engaging. I witnessed a lovely ovation he had from home fans at Turf Moor and the same ovation he had at Ashton Gate as a Birmingham coach, both reciprocated.

I think it's unfare to try to make comparisons with then and now as the game is continually changing. Lee Johnson's achievement in getting continued improvement over several seasons should be regarded as an achievement in itself. I really wouldn't want any comparison made with Cotts' double winners.

For these reasons Cotts and the whole of that squad should be rightly revered for such a historic achievement.

8 minutes ago, RonWalker said:

@Mr Popodopolous the funding figure you’ve quoted isn’t how they calculate it.

You are allowed to lose a maximum of £13m a year, but the EFL calculate it over three years not one, which is where the maximum £39m loss comes from. We were never £1m from breaking the bank in that specific year.

As one of the transitional arrangements, at that time, they were still doing one year.

Until 2014/15, it was one year loss limits.

In 2015/16, it was the final year of one year loss limits and the first year of the rolling 3 year £39m limit- but it was £13m and you could still be penalised with an embargo or fine if there was an excessive loss. Happy to research it again but the EFL website indicates that they did the one year assessment for that season and results announced in late December 2016. That was the final one year assessment.

https://www.efl.com/news/2016/december/efl-financial-fair-play---sky-bet-championship/

After that, it was 2014/15 loss limit, plus £13m in each of the two seasons- plus allowable costs=FFP. Then it was rolling, it sort of morphed a little.

https://www.efl.com/news/2015/august/football-league-ffp-guidance/

Archived