IGNORED

40 years ago today.

ralphindevon

We lost 2-3 at home to Norwich City. Nothing strange about that.....until you realise it was the last time we played at Ashton Gate in the top flight. 

I'd had my last day at school the day before, bar going in for exams. I was starting work full time the following week and was so excited that for the first time in my life I could now afford to get to all of City's home games from West Somerset where I lived. 

As I left the ground and we were all but relegated with 2 away games to go, I was so upset but as a naive 16 year old was sure we'd bounce straight back up the following season. 

2 and a half years later we were bottom of the football league and the first year's of me being a full time City fan hadn't quite gone to plan, but at least we were still going.... Just! 

Does anyone have memories of that game v Norwich and around that time of relegation in particular? I can remember a few Dicks out chants. I can remember world Cup winner, Martin Peters scoring what I think might have been his last ever top flight goal, not his most important I'm guessing. 

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

I was so upset but as a naive 16 year old was sure we'd bounce straight back up the following season. 

Didn't we all? Then in the next season,  as August turned into September we all thought "Any day now, they'll get going".

City's relegation was confirmed one April night when Everton managed to beat Southampton. I remember that as it was announced on that evening's 10.00pm sports news. I've had a down on Everton ever since.

24 minutes ago, 22A said:

Didn't we all? Then in the next season,  as August turned into September we all thought "Any day now, they'll get going".

City's relegation was confirmed one April night when Everton managed to beat Southampton. I remember that as it was announced on that evening's 10.00pm sports news. I've had a down on Everton ever since.

I can remember it wasn't the final nail after that last home game but can't remember how it exactly panned out.

I think Everton had a game in hand as they'd been in the FA cup semi final.

Oddly I can remember our 2 years in division 4 better than I can that first season back in div 2. With the exception being my first Bristol derby, a drab 0-0 in the August

10 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

Didn't Rogers get sent off instead of fashanu which changed the game as seemed to be the case every week luck wise..... 

I've kind of obliterated that game from my memory, I even had to look up to check the score. I think I was so upset at the thought of not being a top flight side any more.

I can remember Justin Fashanu playing and I think Rogers scored for us.

Anyone else shed light on this 

1 hour ago, archie andrews said:

Didn't Rogers get sent off instead of fashanu which changed the game as seemed to be the case every week luck wise..... 

Pretty sure Fash was sent off. I remember him chasing Rodgers half way across the pitch before head butting him. One wonders what Dave might have said to the gay black superstar to provoke that response! 

17 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Is that a 10,000 home crowd in the game against Boro ?? or are my eyes deceiving me, 2nd last home game.

Home attendances did fluctuate quite widely depending on the drawing power of City's opponents, and of course how well supported they were themselves.

Games against teams like Middlesbro', Sunderland, Leicester, Ipswich, Coventry might only draw crowds of 15-18k. even if City were doing quite well.

Middlesbro' were probably the least attractive opponents of all and we had other low attendances against them in the top flight.

14 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Home attendances did fluctuate quite widely depending on the drawing power of City's opponents, and of course how well supported they were themselves.

Games against teams like Middlesbro', Sunderland, Leicester, Ipswich, Coventry might only draw crowds of 15-18k. even if City were doing quite well.

Middlesbro' were probably the least attractive opponents of all and we had other low attendances against them in the top flight.

Have a look at @Red Grovesy post, two consecutive home games in October 1979 against Coventry and Man Utd. 14,000 v Coventry and then 28,000 at Ashton Gate v Man Utd.

Different times and I’m guessing there were a lot more walk ins than you get today. 

2 hours ago, archie andrews said:

A mate has the same memory as you,  I can remember it now but couldn't be sure it was that game. Apparently Fash' punched Rogers who then retaliated and got sent off, missing our last 2 games. It comes flooding back now, just the luck you get when you're in a relegation battle

The Fashanu brothers weren't the mist popular at Ashton Gate 

4 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

We lost 2-3 at home to Norwich City. Nothing strange about that.....until you realise it was the last time we played at Ashton Gate in the top flight. 

I'd had my last day at school the day before, bar going in for exams. I was starting work full time the following week and was so excited that for the first time in my life I could now afford to get to all of City's home games from West Somerset where I lived. 

As I left the ground and we were all but relegated with 2 away games to go, I was so upset but as a naive 16 year old was sure we'd bounce straight back up the following season. 

2 and a half years later we were bottom of the football league and the first year's of me being a full time City fan hadn't quite gone to plan, but at least we were still going.... Just! 

Does anyone have memories of that game v Norwich and around that time of relegation in particular? I can remember a few Dicks out chants. I can remember world Cup winner, Martin Peters scoring what I think might have been his last ever top flight goal, not his most important I'm guessing. 

Another interesting fact about that season and coincidence with this current one was that we kicked off at home to Leeds, drawing 2-2. August 18th, 1979. This season was August 4th. 

41 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Have a look at @Red Grovesy post, two consecutive home games in October 1979 against Coventry and Man Utd. 14,000 v Coventry and then 28,000 at Ashton Gate v Man Utd.

Different times and I’m guessing there were a lot more walk ins than you get today. 

Yes a massive difference in walk up potd. Season tickets weren't much if a thing then. 

Plus you'd see a much bigger fluctuation now if the attendance announced was the amount of people actually in the stadium and not for the amount of season cards and tickets sold. Not quite as big a difference as back in Oct '78

6 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Another interesting fact about that season and coincidence with this current one was that we kicked off at home to Leeds, drawing 2-2. August 18th, 1979. This season was August 4th. 

Yes when Pertti Jantunen scored in a decent performance I wasn't expecting a relegation season.

This seasons game we were dreadful......but could still go up

Jantunen came to us in Div 1? I don't have a recollection of that but am sure you are right. Standing there with Dad and Bro in the old Enclosure I probably had a brain not yet fully developed to comprehend let alone remember a Johnny foreigner.

I thought Perti was with us in Div 2 only.

I was in the Open End that day and clearly remember people sat on the terraces with heads in hands at the end. I thought Rodgers was sent off after a clash with Fashanu, can remember the blood on Rodgers face as I was right behind the goal. What we’re the last 2 away games? I remember going to Brighton at Easter and winning 1 O, also going to Man City and losing 3 1.

15 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Jantunen came to us in Div 1? I don't have a recollection of that but am sure you are right. Standing there with Dad and Bro in the old Enclosure I probably had a brain not yet fully developed to comprehend let alone remember a Johnny foreigner.

Your thinking Jan moller H..... 

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

He was signed in '79 and I believe he was the first Finn to play in the top flight in England 

Remember leaving the Gate after the home win against Bolton in the April the club played a pre recorded message from Gerry Gow over the tannoy asking for maximum support at Maine Road the following week. I assume it was pre recorded unless he did it on the pitch straight after the game.

I'd forgotten how dreadful a season it was for goals scored. 

I can remember going to the FA cup 3rd round game v Derby and we seemed to score with every attack, winning 6-1. Instead of building on that we went 7 of the next 8 league games without scoring. That really killed us. 

Reviving this topic.........

40 years ago today - 3rd May 1980

@oldmixonred and me boarded the CATs coach to White Hart Lane to watch the last ever game played by Bristol City in the English top division.

40 YEARS AGO!

Did you go? What are your memories? No goals, but bricks thrown at the windows of the CATs coach as we left.

COPY_small_Spurs.thumb.jpg.e6cd0c442e5efe6371cc60700c39b162.jpg

Never seen that programme before. Is that a drawing/model of their new stand on the front? I first went there in about 1980 and can remember a newish stand. 

How many City went up? I don't think we've played their since, I'd love to go to the new stadium 

7 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Never seen that programme before. Is that a drawing/model of their new stand on the front? I first went there in about 1980 and can remember a newish stand. 

How many City went up? I don't think we've played their since, I'd love to go to the new stadium 

I think it is a drawing of what was going to be their new stand. I can't remember how many City went.

Yes - I hope to go to the new Spurs stadium, to watch City, one day.

On 26/04/2020 at 12:40, weepywall said:

Is that a 10,000 home crowd in the game against Boro ?? or are my eyes deceiving me, 2nd last home game.

Yes, it is a reminder that a fair chunk of top flight football at AG was watching City v :

Middlesbrough 

Norwich

Bolton

Stoke

QPR

Cov

Birmingham.

And Middlesbrough. 

Middlesbrough were, rather like us, truth be told, a not-very-exciting hanging-on-for-grim-life sort of team in the 70s, not scoring a lot, not letting too many in.

We played them each of those four seasons at the top, and with us looking doomed, it is not surprising if enthusiasm for City v Boro dwindled somewhat by 1980.

I myself gave that one a miss, although I was only a kiddie at that time, just starting out.

Archived