IGNORED

1970 FA Cup Final

Lanterne Rouge

15 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

Same here - to be followed later that year by Mexico the first world cup I can remember. 

That's when I fell in love with the game, first time I saw tv in colour too, was living with my Gran and Gramps in Mangotsfield, my Dad wouldn't get a colour tv until 10 years later!

First Cup Final I can remember, in fact I remember everything about the day! Went to Doug Hillards ( when it was at Eastville) and my old man bought me my first Chelsea kit and a pair of boots. I wore it, and the boots, to my school fete( Downend County) and went ass over tit in the school hall, because of the studs!! Remember everything about both games, but couldn’t tell you what I had for breakfast this morning!!!

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

1967 was the first FA Cup final I took an interest in. Spurs beat Chelsea 2-1 with goals from Jimmy Robertson and Frank Saul before Bobby Tambling scored a consolation for the Pensioners. 

That was the first and only cup final that I actually attended.

I was 16 and at the youth club, when one of the senior members (who happened to later become my brother-in-law) came in asking if anyone was interested in a cup final ticket. I jumped at it, went home to get the money and the following morning booked a seat on a Wessex coach, and couldn't believe my luck!

I have every Cup Final programme from 1968 to 1976, didn't bother with 77, but do have every Ipswich programme for their games from the 3rd round to the final.

Everton 1966, Spurs, WBA, Man C, Chelsea, Arsenal, Leeds, Sunderland, Liverpool, WHU, Soton, Man U, Ipswich 1978 that's 13 winners in 13 years.

Will that ever happen again?

As others have said the cup was so special back then. 

I couldn't afford to get to many city games when I was a kid but would always go to home FA cup games, then later on home and away. At one point I hadn't missed a cup game for years and years at home and most away.

When I was at school I could tell you every cup final winner since the war. Now I couldn't tell you the last 3

10 hours ago, Corsham Ed said:

Same here as well. Mexico 70 was fantastic especially watching Brazil. What a team they were. Full of talent.

So many things……..

The world cup sticker book that my late dad bought for me – how I wish I had not thrown it away

079ff8f7ea5de78a90c163160b7c7ab4.jpg.211b4a6b7a2f0b5a55fa698ed0f00087.jpg

Watching via Rediffusion black and white TV

The Bobby Moore Colombia bracelet incident.

Gordon Banks save

Gerd Muller

El Salvador being in a World Cup

The Mexico shirt – I loved it at the time and wanted a replica!

France nor Scotland not being in it (that’s a retrospective view) :)

Back home

A lot about Brazil

Etc etc….

Sorry this has strayed off of the FA Cup Final topic. I suppose there is a link with Bonetti, Terry Cooper, Jackie Charlton etc.

The first FA Cup Final I recall watching on the TV was the Leeds v Chelsea games. I grew up on a council estate in Bath, and whilst most around me were City fans, they seemed to want Chelsea to win that final. I dont remember much about the games other than my Dad letting me stay up to watch the replay and the fact that I was about to nod off when Ian Hutchinson's long throw found David Webb's head and in the ball went into the back of the net.....it revived me for 20 minutes or so before I was once again asleep. Mexico 70....dont remember a lot. I remember bits of England playing Brazil and then England flunking it against West Germany (seems odd typing that now) to Gerd Mullers goal. From my Dads reaction at the time, and as young as I was, I learned, never bet against the Germans....borne out a couple of years later when Gunter Netzer seemed to be the only player on the pitch at Wembley. Times seemed simpler then.... well it was for me, I was very much in Primary School and I was reading heroic stories about the rise of Leeds United, Shankly's Liverpool, Jimmy of City and Jack of United in "Scorcher" and "Shoot" magazine. My dads much younger brother used to give me his old "Football Monthly" mags, but that was a bit advanced for me at the time. For some reason, I also remember Rodney Marsh being a hero of mine.....and a year or two later, reading a million Everton programmes as my mate at school had an older brother who was a huge Toffee's fan. By the time the 72 final came to life, I was watching the whole build up to the FA Cup Final on BBC or ITV with the "panel of experts" which inevitably involved Derek Dougan, Malcolm Allison, and Cloughie on one side or the other. It was a different game, a different time.....and I have no idea who won the FA Cup last season...weird innit?

21 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

The first FA Cup Final I recall watching on the TV was the Leeds v Chelsea games. I grew up on a council estate in Bath, and whilst most around me were City fans, they seemed to want Chelsea to win that final. I dont remember much about the games other than my Dad letting me stay up to watch the replay and the fact that I was about to nod off when Ian Hutchinson's long throw found David Webb's head and in the ball went into the back of the net.....it revived me for 20 minutes or so before I was once again asleep. Mexico 70....dont remember a lot. I remember bits of England playing Brazil and then England flunking it against West Germany (seems odd typing that now) to Gerd Mullers goal. From my Dads reaction at the time, and as young as I was, I learned, never bet against the Germans....borne out a couple of years later when Gunter Netzer seemed to be the only player on the pitch at Wembley. Times seemed simpler then.... well it was for me, I was very much in Primary School and I was reading heroic stories about the rise of Leeds United, Shankly's Liverpool, Jimmy of City and Jack of United in "Scorcher" and "Shoot" magazine. My dads much younger brother used to give me his old "Football Monthly" mags, but that was a bit advanced for me at the time. For some reason, I also remember Rodney Marsh being a hero of mine.....and a year or two later, reading a million Everton programmes as my mate at school had an older brother who was a huge Toffee's fan. By the time the 72 final came to life, I was watching the whole build up to the FA Cup Final on BBC or ITV with the "panel of experts" which inevitably involved Derek Dougan, Malcolm Allison, and Cloughie on one side or the other. It was a different game, a different time.....and I have no idea who won the FA Cup last season...weird innit?

It`s not the same now is it? I remember cycling across Taunton on the afternoon of one final in the late 70s (can`t recall which one) to get to my then girlfriend`s house. Not a soul in sight, it was like lockdown is now!

"For the love of Ada" a comedy? with Wilfred Pickles  and Irene Handel (ask your you grand parents)

from the year 1970 featured the 1970 cup final with siome film footage of the actual game,can you imagine Sky doing the same nowadays?

The programme was on Talking pictures at 17:00pm Thursday 30 April 2020.

Not sure if it MIGHT be on catch up.

Back in the 70’s and early 80’s, the FA Cup final was the highlight of the footballing calendar. As said above it was similar to a lockdown. The TV would start at 9am with a number of shows including “it’s a knockout” it was a fantastic occasion, but now sadly ruined with kick offs at 5pm. The FA cup has been totally de valued by clubs playing second string sides, Man Utd pulling out of the competition. 

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 22:31, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Been lucky enough to watch two finals live, Leeds v Chelsea and Leeds v Sunderland.

At the 70 final  as a 14yo I wanted Leeds to win but couldn't cheer their goals as I was stood in the middle of the Chelsea shed mob.!!!!!!

Archived