IGNORED

1970 FA Cup Final

Lanterne Rouge

7 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Been lucky enough to watch two finals live, Leeds v Chelsea and Leeds v Sunderland.

At the 70 final  as a 14yo I wanted Leeds to win but couldn't cheer their goals as I was stood in the middle of the Chelsea shed mob.!!!!!!

Similar here mate. I was at Brighton v Man Utd in the `And Smith must score` game. I was gutted when he missed (I was right in line with the shot) but was in with thousands of Man U fans so had to celebrate him shanking it and join in with all the manual manipulator signs!

I was going to watch the 1970 Final, my first, as a seven and a half year old. But ended up trying to find a four leaf clover in my back garden. My mum had told me that they were extremely rare and would be really valuable or provide luck for me if I found one.

I remember watching England v Brazil in 1970 WC, as well as England v Czechoslovakia where a clever Allan Clarke penalty brought England the win. I remember being thrilled by the Brazilians.  As a seven year old I knew I was watching something special. I don't recall watching England's exit at all, but did see the final. Later that year I attended my first City matches.

The first FA Cup Final I properly watched all the way through was 1971. I was one of only two in my class who wanted Arsenal to beat Liverpool. And Charlie George scored the winner in extra time making it 2-1 to Arsenal, who had been one down to a Steve Heighway goal earlier in the extra period. Charlie George was my hero thereafter and I grew my hair long like him. I also seen him play for Arsenal Reserves v City Reserves the following season. I was chuffed when my father said that George was returning from injury and would be playing at The Gate for the reserves and then took me down. Well done, Dad. RIP. I later seen George playing for Derby in the top flight v City, but by then he had permed his hair and I wasn't following suit and his star had waned.

Funnily enough I was watching highlights of the 1970 Final on YouTube about a week ago and the pitch was atrocious, I knew it had been that way but having watched even more of our modern football on wondrous surfaces that apology for a pitch looked even more of a monstrosity. Leeds first goal from a Charlton header went under the kicks   of McCreedy and Harris, I think, on the line as both thought it would bounce as on a normal pitch but instead the sand killed any bounce and thus deceived them.

My buddy and both watched the replay at my grandmothers house. She made us cheese sandwiches and mugs of ovaltine!  
It’s strange the odd things you remember after 50 years.

We both wanted Chelsea to win - of course!

Archived