IGNORED

Were you at the Bristol Derby in May 1990?

Had the day off and caught the lunch time train from Bridgwater to temple meads ,why I left so early I can’t really remember but was amazed how many city were there waiting to catch the train over to bath . So many things happened that day and so many story’s to tell ,but Not really for on here . Can’t believe it was 30 years ago and a brilliant season until that fateful day 

and remember seeing tickets for sale for that game for £50 ( £5 face value) in the Bristol evening post 

long before EBAY 

I was 6 and it was my first Derby my uncle and grandad with some of their friends my grandad wanted to leave the pub to get in the ground and my uncle wanted to stay for another pint, I left with my Grandad we got in and my uncle (not to sound like the gas) got locked out the east end!!! You donut @redcityman!!

i remember Holloway missing the penalty in front of us and and the whole east end going nuts when Louie scored! 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I’m sure I was there NTTDS. I’m guessing that was the pitch invasion when Holloway said later that he’d never been so frightened in his life as he was sprinting off.

No, it was the one none of us want to remember, shame on NTTDS stirring these horrible memories.

Oh well, back to counselling for a few sessions

Now you've stirred those dreadful memories I just as well reminisce. 

It didn't take long to realise we weren't up for it compared to them, probably as soon as they ran out at the start of the match.

We had been so dominant in the league since Christmas and the irony was the match was postponed until that nerve wracking end of he season because *somebody* had set fire to Twerton. If we'd played it when it supposed to be played, we'd have had no nerves and Bob Taylor scoring for fun and would have certainly won the league. So thanks to whoever that was.

I couldn't drag myself away at the end I was so numb, I couldn't believe we'd all but thrown away the title....to our fiercest rivals. 

Has any club had a worse promotion in their history than us that year?

17 minutes ago, hail gus cesaer said:

I was 6 and it was my first Derby my uncle and grandad with some of their friends my grandad wanted to leave the pub to get in the ground and my uncle wanted to stay for another pint, I left with my Grandad we got in and my uncle (not to sound like the gas) got locked out the east end!!! You donut @redcityman!!

i remember Holloway missing the penalty in front of us and and the whole east end going nuts when Louie scored! 

Really sorry but I think you have the wrong year .the game you are talking about was 1991 

10 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

Who still has there’s ?

7BCC7D88-E906-4E42-844C-1FC9DB0B2D2A.jpeg

I think I have somewhere.

I can remember when they got relegated to the conference I had a split second feeling a tad sorry for some of my gas supporting mates.....

.....then I went and found that ticket and laughed my socks off

8 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Now you've stirred those dreadful memories I just as well reminisce. 

It didn't take long to realise we weren't up for it compared to them, probably as soon as they ran out at the start of the match.

We had been so dominant in the league since Christmas and the irony was the match was postponed until that nerve wracking end of he season because *somebody* had set fire to Twerton. If we'd played it when it supposed to be played, we'd have had no nerves and Bob Taylor scoring for fun and would have certainly won the league. So thanks to ever that was.

I couldn't drag myself away at the end I was so numb, I couldn't believe we'd all but thrown away the title....to our fiercest rivals. 

He any club had a worse promotion in their history than us that year?

Wasn’t it the weather the reason it was called off ? Frozen pitch

2 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

Wasn’t it the weather the reason it was called off ? Frozen pitch

My memory may not be clear, long time ago but I thought the original was off for weather then a rearranged game for very soon after was postponed because of the fire. I might be wrong

22 minutes ago, Big C said:

This is the 3-0 defeat game at Trumpton isn't it that cost us the league?

It cost us the Third Division title - yawn - how many of those do we want to our name? The target in August 89 was "promotion," and we were promoted. 

Joe Jordan leaving four months later was a much greater loss and setback.

23 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

errr…...may 1990 derby day bit of a clue big c...……..

Clue for who?

Many fans of  my generation have seen numerous Bristol derbies and one particular derby of 30 years ago  could be one of several.............:dunno:

I vaguely  them and us pushing for promotion one season many years ago but my memory has faded a bit over three decades.

I lived in Longwell Green at the time. Was still at school. 
Me and my mate got the bus from the Harvester in Longwell. The bus was full of gas. My mate had a red hat on, so we were easily spotted as City. 
Wasn’t a pleasant journey. As we got off we were gobbed on by a number of the scummers. 
We couldn’t react - would’ve been 2 15 year old boys against 30 grown men!! Bunch of cowards. 

Anyway, we got off the bus and started walking toward the ground, when all of a sudden there’s a huge roar and a massive mob of lads is running toward us. 
They steam into us, and all the gas that had just got off the bus with us. Everyone got a whack! Including me. As I was was being smacked I said the bloke “I’m City” and he apologised to me and shook my hand, ha ha. 

So I’d been spat on by gas and smacked across the face by City. All in the space of 3 minutes! 
I was so happy though, as I saw all those gas cowards who’d spat on me get a good whacking. 

The game itself has almost been erased from my memory, but still VERY alive in my memory are the scenes of absolute carnage afterwards. I particularly remember a corner shop being relieve of its contents by a rampaging mob of City. 
It was a truly horrible atmosphere walking back to that bus stop that evening. 

34 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

We had been so dominant in the league since Christmas and the irony was the match was postponed until that nerve wracking end of he season because *somebody* had set fire to Twerton. If we'd played it when it supposed to be played, we'd have had no nerves and Bob Taylor scoring for fun and would have certainly won the league. So thanks to whoever that was.

That fire (rather than the other fire!) was the following season - after an away game at West Brom in September 1990 

31 minutes ago, hail gus cesaer said:

:facepalm:

You are correct regarding the Donowa game, but, this is the 3-0 defeat at trumpton in 1990, myself and your grandad made that one, Unfortunately for you being only 6 we thought it best you stayed home as it wasn't deemed safe being an away match, also at the same time I was on crutches having only recently come out of hospital.

14 minutes ago, Nicki's soulmate said:

The fire was 91

3 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

That fire (rather than the other fire!) was the following season - after an away game at West Brom in September 1990 

So many fires At Rovers grounds!!

I think someone told me that story a few years after and I chose to believe it, seemed a good story

Archived