IGNORED

Were you at the Bristol Derby in May 1990?

I had to drive to Chester immediately after that game as I was a training officer and that's where the new course was to be located! I remember vividly driving northwards out of Bath still numb after what I had just witnessed on the pitch. I couldn't listen to the radio or play any music for about an hour.

As someone else pointed out already, my walk back to the car was about a mile away from Trumpton and all you could hear was Goodnight Irene. It will haunt me forever! 

45 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

It cost us the Third Division title - yawn - how many of those do we want to our name? The target in August 89 was "promotion," and we were promoted. 

Joe Jordan leaving four months later was a much greater loss and setback.

True, but it's given the g'Assholes something to cling to all these years. Anything that provides solace for that lot has to be considered unfortunate - imagine how utterly pitiful their existence would be without that season / that night!

I've often thought that - if only the fixtures had come out the other way round, i.e. the away game at the start of the season and the home game later, we'd have been alright. The defining game of the season played at Ashton Gate instead of Trumpton would have meant that, even without Bob, we were likely to get the result we needed - a draw would have given us the title by 1 point.

So, basically, it's all the fixture computer's fault!! Nonsense, of course, but it takes the edge off that irritating evening in Bath.             

the game was postponed due to bad  weather and the gap between the original date of the game and the actual game was months , these days the game would have been played in weeks .the way the season was going it was a two horse race  and so the game was winner takes all . one of the worst nights of my bristol city life ! as people have said i can still remember walking out of the ground hearing the rovers singing it took me months to recover !

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

It cost us the Third Division title - yawn - how many of those do we want to our name? The target in August 89 was "promotion," and we were promoted. 

I don't think anyone has really ever understood the impact of JJ leaving.  We were on a roll. 

1 hour ago, redcityman said:

:facepalm:

You are correct regarding the Donowa game, but, this is the 3-0 defeat at trumpton in 1990, myself and your grandad made that one, Unfortunately for you being only 6 we thought it best you stayed home as it wasn't deemed safe being an away match, also at the same time I was on crutches having only recently come out of hospital.

Yes but your still a donut! And so am I now!

I remember that evening quite vividly, as a 15 year old it felt like the end of the world. On the walk back to the car with my dad a number of Rovers fans did console me and say that we would be promoted anyway. I have to give them credit for that. Going to school in a Rovers heavy area was painful for months afterwards. After nearly 40 years of watching City, that match is definitely in my top 5 most painful games.

Of the match itself, I recall Rovers being far more physical and 'up for it'. City looked scared at times which is unbelievable when you consider the experience and quality in our team. I recall Joe Jordan trying to calm the City fans and Beryl Fudge as well, but with limited success. I also remember the Gas fans taunting the City fans during the game but then turning and running down the terrace when the City supporters appeared to be breaking through into the Rovers end.

Remember it well. Worst experience at football ever!

I couldn't go to the original game, so didn't have a ticket - and it was impossible to get them. But the game was eventually played after Rovers last scheduled home game - and a friend at work, who was a died in the wool gashead, had already booked his foreign holiday and would miss the game. So he let me have his season ticket - prime seat in the middle of the main stand! I thought I might struggle to sit on my hands as our goals went in!

First problem I had was getting to the ground. Because of the fake tickets that were reportedly around, there were two cordons of police checking tickets before you got to the turnstile. All well and good, except that, at the age of 34, I was carrying a season ticket with OAP stamped all over it.

However, I got in, and found my seat, preparing to keep my mouth shut. I needn't have bothered though; I was greeted with hellos and someone said "you must be the City fan Ron's lent his season ticket to"! So, not only did I have to endure City being totally outplayed and outfought in such a crucial game, by the Gas, but had to do so surrounded by Gas fans who knew I was City!

You can count on one hand the number of games Ive left early - that was one!

1 hour ago, 77 punk said:

we will never know what joe jordan would have done for us in 1990 and onwards,as you say the club was rolling we were back in the second division and the fans were believing

What do you think Joe could’ve or would’ve done? When he left, how far did it set us back? When did we recover?

Edit- started new thread on this

2 hours ago, Malaggro CNF said:

Plenty of fake ones of these were flying about.

Horrible night.

I think Bath are still trying to tidy up the aftermath. 

They were. A mate of mine inadvertently bought the original (all the fakes had the same number IIRC) off a bloke in a pub and was pulled by the OB on the way in to Trumpton. He was released without charge later that night while the rest of us went to the game.

i reckon he had the better night TBH. 

Wasn't that the last time they gave us the whole terrace?

Still at school. Had fake tickets. Remember it being a hot day. Drove over to Bath from Knowle with my mates older brother in his yellow Cortina. Remember Bath road being chokka with city cars on their way. Arrived not long before kick off. Horrible tense atmosphere.  Remember a police cordon around the ground and outside away turnstiles checking tickets. Needless to say ours were found to be fake and we didn't get in. My mates brother had a real ticket and got in so we could not get home. Got taken outside the double decker police bus and asked where we got the tickets. Just said off a bloke at Ashton gate. We made our way around to the hill above Twerton where we could only see about half the pitch. Loads of other City Fans up there. Enough said about the game...clearest memory of what I could actually see of the pitch was I think John Bailey being treated after swallowing his tongue?...awful memories of partying ahead singing that Irene dirge. Took hours to get home.

Remember it clearly....wish I couldnt. Worst away experience ever. I remember trying to leave the ground at 3-0 but the 'old bill' refused to open the gates. Being locked in 10-15 minutes after the end of the match just added to the misery. If only Super Bob had been fit for the run in this result would have been immatreial.

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

True, but it's given the g'Assholes something to cling to all these years. Anything that provides solace for that lot has to be considered unfortunate - imagine how utterly pitiful their existence would be without that season / that night!

I've often thought that - if only the fixtures had come out the other way round, i.e. the away game at the start of the season and the home game later, we'd have been alright. The defining game of the season played at Ashton Gate instead of Trumpton would have meant that, even without Bob, we were likely to get the result we needed - a draw would have given us the title by 1 point.

So, basically, it's all the fixture computer's fault!! Nonsense, of course, but it takes the edge off that irritating evening in Bath.             

Time heals, and I am 100% over it/better. Well, ok, 99.89%. Ok, tbh, tbf, 89.99%. 

As that bloke in the corner in the Coopers always says, it's not what happens to you that matters, it's what you make of what happens to you that counts, mine's a Doom Bar.

Here's what I make, now, of what happened in 89/90:

But for Joe Jordan (and so TC, too), Rovers would probably have had all the glory to themselves that summer, 1990, with us still mired in midtable Div 3. Meaning in 90/91, they are a division higher than us, and there's no 5th March, 91, no Holloway penalty saved, no Louie Donowa. 

Remember how poor we were in the league the previous season, 88/89. Rovers went from 5th/play-offs to promoted, we went from 11th to promoted. Rovers would've had more than one night to "cling" to, they'd have had a whole season of being a division above us (you're not buying any of this, are you? I'm not sure I am)

Joe, a bit like Cotterill, fast-tracked us out of the Third, giving us a thoroughly enjoyable season in 90/91 as well as promotion. The price of that was finishing second to them, for the not-sought-after prize of Third Division Champions. Oh well.

We might say we diluted their achievement a little by also going up that season; certainly, they didn't have it all to themselves on local Radio Local, or in the UnEven Post. And then played our part in relegating them in spring '93.

Bloke - is it Derek? - in the Coopers told me this is called "refarming." Interesting bloke, wonder how he's coping currently? Following his own advice, you would hope....

2 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

For someone whose Bristol City memories begin around the 2002 mark, could someone give me a potted history of this season? Sounds traumatic!

We were the best team by far. Playing brilliant football. Rovers got the first game postponed when we were flying (Bath City played on it less than 48 hours later) Taylor got injured for the run in. 2nd May we lost the title to them.

Well I was there, I'm surprised you've started a thread about it though :)

6 minutes ago, Buster Footman's T shirt said:

We were the best team by far. Playing brilliant football. Rovers got the first game postponed when we were flying (Bath City played on it less than 48 hours later) Taylor got injured for the run in. 2nd May we lost the title to them.

Surely the best team is the one that gets most points at the end of the season :)

3 hours ago, hail gus cesaer said:

I was 6 and it was my first Derby my uncle and grandad with some of their friends my grandad wanted to leave the pub to get in the ground and my uncle wanted to stay for another pint, I left with my Grandad we got in and my uncle (not to sound like the gas) got locked out the east end!!! You donut @redcityman!!

i remember Holloway missing the penalty in front of us and and the whole east end going nuts when Louie scored! 

I remember him scoring it :)

3 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Well I was there, I'm surprised you've started a thread about it though :)

Surely the best team is the one that gets most points at the end of the season :)

That's just a technicality Miah....at least that's what I keep telling myself about that season. All style over substance

2 hours ago, archie andrews said:

either that or waterlogged pitch sticks...…...or did they do a stockport ?

Definitely did a Stockport. They had several injuries at the time the game was scheduled, unfortunately for all concerned, the game was called off, due to a waterlogged pitch in the corner of the ground. Evidently a water main had burst, even though there was no apparent reason ie: freezing weather. The groundsman was the same groundsman which suffered a similar fate at the rugby ground, just prior to our match there. Stockport were there as were lots of their supporters, the groundsman was filmed watering the corner of the pitch and the club received an official warning from the FA. Coincidence? When we played them in the rearranged match, we were suffering with the loss of Bob Taylor, which make no bones about it, was devastating.

12 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

For someone whose Bristol City memories begin around the 2002 mark, could someone give me a potted history of this season? Sounds traumatic!

City running away with it, Rovers sold their two star players halfway through the season, City's best player was injured in the run in. It all came down to the penultimate game, Rovers were up for it, City weren't.

2 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

You are absolutely right.  It was a fantastic season in which we achieved promotion.  I think those who still feel stung by the result must have a bit too much love and affection for our neighbours than those of us who just forgot about it, and celebrated promotion.

I remember it so well as well as the build up to the game. I met up with the London Supporters club in a pub in Box near Bath and then joined them on the coach to travel to Trumpton.

I guess my overriding memory was when City fans started smashing up the hoardings and Big Joe came over and had a word asking fans to calm down.

The other memory was having to listen to that awful pi55 off Eileen song over and over as they kept us in at the end. The joy of the Mansfield Sir Colin of Daniel match exorcised any lingering ghosts I had.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

I’m sure I was there NTTDS. I’m guessing that was the pitch invasion when Holloway said later that he’d never been so frightened in his life as he was sprinting off.

Nah, Holloway said that after the December 1996 game at Ashton Gate - this thread is about the May 1990 game at Twerton Park ...

As Miah says, we hit the front in January, I think, but then got distracted a little, and then bogged down in, the FA Cup - distracted by beating Swidnon and Chelsea, bogged down with bloody Cambridge. 

Bit of a theme emerging there - outstanding v better quality of opposition; disappointing v lower quality of (up for it) opposition. 

Hence, we did better than Rovers in the Second Division. 

It was disappointing missing out on an FA Cup quarter final at Highbury that season. We needed days out like that then, we need them now.

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Nah, Holloway said that after the December 1996 game at Ashton Gate - this thread is about the May 1990 game at Twerton Park 

NTTDS should have pointed that out! He certainly had me guessing.

I went to Trumpton about three times I think but  the memories of 30 odd years go are well faded.

Archived