IGNORED

Were you at the Bristol Derby in May 1990?

5 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

Taking just 5 points out of a possible 15 in the last 5 games ultimately cost us, it's no coincidence 34 goalscorer Super Bob missed those 5 games, if I remember rightly we had far and away the highest average attendances that year which was hardly surprising considering the great football we played, in my top 3 of most enjoyable seasons ever

definitely. 

8 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

we were even worse when dicked 4-0 over there a couple of years after this (and it was live on TV so everybody could see it)

I bet us to win 4-0 that day at 66/1.  Seems insane to even contemplate being that confident now an despite my winnings I was a bit disappointed it wasn't more than 4

Stoney Garnett was in the bar before the game and as he left did a little speech ended with 'I want to see every one of you ***** in here after the game'

To be fair, he did come in after and did one of his routines, although I can't remember any City players coming in (At Twerton the players bar was also a members bar where a lot of fans drank}. I'm glad that my son (who is 23 next month) saw us beat you (the 1-0. Mickey Mouse cup semi final), I can't see it ever happening again, I'd die a happy man if I could see it one more time!

On 29/04/2020 at 08:07, Hello Dave said:

You’re spot on there, I used to knock about with Boris ( Dave Mehew) and a couple of other Gas players. We were in town a few weeks before the game and Mark Gavin came over chatting. He was boasting about what we were going to do to them and how much money he was on. I had a bad feeling about the game straight away!

Funny how when it comes to football you get irrational thoughts about 'jinxing' things.

I was at the Louie Donowa game with the lad who started the 'Where's your chairman gone chant' and from that moment I was convinced we would lose.

On a side note, that particular chant was hushed up pretty quickly, but some in the open end that night tried to defend it as some perverse revenge for the Mickey Barratt chant a few years earlier. We often moan about modern football being de-sanitised, but you couldn't imagine in a million years opposition fans mocking a death nowadays.

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Funny how when it comes to football you get irrational thoughts about 'jinxing' things.

I was at the Louie Donowa game with the lad who started the 'Where's your chairman gone chant' and from that moment I was convinced we would lose.

On a side note, that particular chant was hushed up pretty quickly, but some in the open end that night tried to defend it as some perverse revenge for the Mickey Barratt chant a few years earlier. We often moan about modern football being de-sanitised, but you couldn't imagine in a million years opposition fans mocking a death nowadays.

From the moment some of your lot started shouting through the minute silence for Des Williams; your fate that night was sealed.

The entire Dolman chanting directly afterwards "You gas bastards, you gas bastards !" was pretty terrifying, and I'm a City fan !

Hollowhead (of all people), was interviewed directly after the game, having missed the penalty, saying those who did it were a disgrace.

7 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

From the moment some of your lot started shouting through the minute silence for Des Williams; your fate that night was sealed.

The entire Dolman chanting directly afterwards "You gas bastards, you gas bastards !" was pretty terrifying, and I'm a City fan !

Hollowhead (of all people), was interviewed directly after the game, having missed the penalty, saying those who did it were a disgrace.

Absolutely, as I said, luckily we don't see that kind of thing at football anymore , not in the real world anyway, unfortunately online is another matter.

22 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

As indeed they were.

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Exactly! I remember the Mickey Barrett chant, there wasn’t many, but it was chanted. Think that was the cup game when we lost 3 1. Takes a lot to shock me, but I was squirming a little bit when I heard it.

Yes ..

Met at the Huntsman by the Abbey.

City smart chaps kept going to Jollys.

They were doing a leave your clothes behind in the changing room and replace with Ralph Lauren free offer.

Post game the chaps stated a game of bowls using cars.

Not our finest moment but they put up more fight than the players did ...

9 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Just noticed your ticket number 1646..... mine is 1647 ?‍♂️
what are the chances of that ?

6814F45E-D78C-4124-9295-272732AF71B5.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Just noticed your ticket number 1646..... mine is 1647 ?‍♂️
what are the chances of that ?

6814F45E-D78C-4124-9295-272732AF71B5.jpeg

Has to laugh when I saw that mate I cant really remember buying it to be honest . I worked in leffmans and used to finish 12 on a Friday and used to catch the train to Bristol to buy tickets for big games . How the internet has changed things ..... hope your keeping ok mate 

Went to the game in Bath with Rick M from Bath (RIP). He is on the YouTube video for those ITK. Good memories with Rick at football. Top lad was Rick. Met up in Bath off the train with Rick and quite a few others. Few ciders all day. Awful game to watch. Afterwards was lively. Always hated Holloway, always will. Not good memories. This game is one of the reasons I hate the scum.

Football in those days was a lot different to today.

On 30/04/2020 at 00:20, Ronnie Sinclair said:

we were even worse when dicked 4-0 over there a couple of years after this (and it was live on TV so everybody could see it)

I missed the 3-0 but was at the 4-0, I think that's my worst day at football ever. Outweighs losing to Hull, any number of relegations and everything else i can think of in terms of football. 

As a more younger supporter who wasn't even born when this game was played I find the Sags obsession with this game very odd.. making a massive song and dance about it and having one of their famous open top buses..

Just feels like it's fans of a poor, pathetic dying club clinging on to anything just to feel something again.. Then when this day is over they go back to being reminded they got relegated in their own shirt, in millions and millions of debt with no one to bail them out.. 2 tents and 4 white plastic chairs they're unable to fill out every game, the worst manager in the football league the list goes on..

1 hour ago, Ron Swanson said:

As a more younger supporter who wasn't even born when this game was played I find the Sags obsession with this game very odd.. making a massive song and dance about it and having one of their famous open top buses..

Just feels like it's fans of a poor, pathetic dying club clinging on to anything just to feel something again.. Then when this day is over they go back to being reminded they got relegated in their own shirt, in millions and millions of debt with no one to bail them out.. 2 tents and 4 white plastic chairs they're unable to fill out every game, the worst manager in the football league the list goes on..

How many promotions have we had since then? 4. 90, 98, 07 and 15.

How many seasons have they been in 2nd Tier since then? 3. 

How many relegations to the Non League have they had since then? 1.

Look at us, look at us we beat them once upon a time it screams to me

1 hour ago, Ron Swanson said:

I remember seeing their open top bus ride the year before in 1989. It stopped outside the Highwayman Pub. I stood there in my City shirt and gave them a nice reverse handed wave. 

This was after they'd LOST in the play offs. Idiots.

39 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

That'll teach me for singing "championes, championes, ole, ole, ole.. 'In the back of the car on the way there. 

A couple of weeks before, someone was selling  “ Bristol City Champions 1990” t shirts outside the ground. You didn’t buy one did you??

2 hours ago, Hello Dave said:

A couple of weeks before, someone was selling  “ Bristol City Champions 1990” t shirts outside the ground. You didn’t buy one did you??

No, but I threw out a pair of lucky red socks and didn't wear anything red to a city Match for a long time after that.. 

2 hours ago, Hello Dave said:

Gas mate told me some of their fans got hold of some and wore them at Blackpool (if memory serves correctly) the day they won the title.

22 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

Sounds.like you've nailed it Ron.

To be fair, we were a lot more even then but, if the fixture had been played on it's original date, we would.have battered them and they know it.

21 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

I remember seeing their open top bus ride the year before in 1989. It stopped outside the Highwayman Pub. I stood there in my City shirt and gave them a nice reverse handed wave. 

This was after they'd LOST in the play offs. Idiots.

I remember them going up and down the main road by there beeping their horns when they’d qualified for the play offs that year. I was only 7, the old man said something like they were “sad bastards” and wouldn’t be going up.

I remember their bus going past in 95 when they lost too, although at 13 my mum and dad made sure I wasn’t at home as I’d promised that I’d be ready with stones to lob at them this time!

Younger supporters will find it hard to comprehend that in the 90’s they did have the better of us on a regular basis, thankfully their luck has dried up in the new Millenium.

10 minutes ago, Bullbag said:

Wouldn't say they had the better of us on a regular basis.

Without checking the stats I remember us beating them just as much as the other way around, i'd say we had the edge, but not by much.

But agree not much between both sides.

I n the nineties we played them 18 times winning 9 drawing 3 and losing 6 so we were the better side through the 90s

Archived