IGNORED

Would you want City to be promoted behind closed doors?

ChippenhamRed

Would you want City to be promoted behind closed doors?  

401 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 hours ago, pillred said:

Haven't you got a tv? why on earth would you have to watch it on your phone?

Yes?

I meant the celebrations online through social media. Can’t exactly be on the pitch enjoying the celebrations.

2 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Without fans football is pointless ,it is about memories ,it is about shared experiences, it is about that one moment that lasts a lifetime.

If we do win promotion I want to be there 

I think we all would but I would settle for not if it meant I could once more see the best players in the world at least once more (I'm 64) it's been 40 years and I can't wait another 40. so am maybe a little less choosy as to how and when we do it.

Two phrases come to mind: Football is not a TV show, and secondly, Football without fans is nothing. 

Further, I'd worry playing in empty stadiums might give the wrong people the wrong idea. 

It would dilute our importance as fans even further and reduce us to a TV audience. And once we're a TV audience god knows what happens next. Anything that restricts the role fans play as a physically present entity is not good for the game, no matter how temporary. 

Great question, I voted to take the promotion any way we can, mainly on the grounds that you can't guarantee anything in football.  I am slightly surprised that a significant number would rather wait, although I do understand the reasons.  I think we are less inclined to be around, say, 95% of fans wanting promotion however it happens, because of our current position in the table. As it stands, we have maybe a 50/50 chance of making the play offs, where we would have a 25% chance of success. So, do-able certainly, do we generally expect promotion this season, probably not!

If you were to poll the same question to Leeds and WBA fans of what they would want, given their positions in the League, I doubt if many of them would be so bothered about playing without crowds for a few games, if it means seeing their club getting over the line and into the Prem.  I think they would just be happy to get the chance to play the season out and (unless they truly cocked it up) get promoted.

16 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Wouldn’t you feel cheated out of something special though if we won at an empty Wembley with zero atmosphere?

Football’s all about the big moments for me, the rush of adrenalin. Having waited my whole life for promotion to the top division (I was born in 83), I think I’d rather wait and savour it properly. It would always be a severely tainted achievement.

The achievement wouldn't be tainted. 

But it would be hard not to be involved it. 

Having said that, would you prefer the next game that you are able to attend to be Vs Liverpool/Man Utd/Arsenal, or Barnsley/Millwall/Wigan/Rotherham...?

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I wonder where the play off finals will be held?

I think they'd still want a decent sized stadium as it adds to occasion for the players still. They might wait until they know whose in it, as it stands you've got Fulham, Brentford, Forest and Preston. May as well rule out anywhere in the south west. Preston v either london team may as well hold it in the midlands - Villa, Forest vs either london team could be Villa/Leicester. Forest/Preston - Ethiad/Old Trafford, Brentford/Fulham - Still Wembley or Stamford Bridge? Being 10 mins for Brentford

I would be delighted to see City finish the season and would be well excited to see the lads via Robin's TV. 

Wells and Afobe up front? Woof!

A chance of making the play offs? Yes please!

Would I rather attend every game? Of course, but it is what it is.

I'm happy for it to happy without me being there

Although, someone pointed out above that the actual moment of promotion is something to look forward to more than actually being and playing in the PL - and I may change my mind on that now

Anyway, people are dying. I'm happy to call this season quits and sweep all before us next season, or in two years time. It will happen, eventually. Lets just make sure we're all there to enjoy it in whatever fashion we can

• Admin

I guess there is a realistic chance that a team will get promoted this season without any supporters seeing the play off final win

It it also possible they don't get to see any games in the flesh next season and then get relegated

(I'm not comparing this to the Coronavirus etc - I appreciate the current problems)

But imagine how gutting it would be to go through all that and not be there.....

4 hours ago, Gordon Saunderson said:

So we get promoted, the premier league restarts without any supporters we get relegated before we have seen a game in the premier so we are back to where we are now??I’d rather wait!

Over £100M better off to be fair.

I tell you one thing, IF it does restart, with Fam, Nahki and a fit Benik, we might just be the team to watch out for. 

Promotion with nobody there over possibly no promotion at all, the former all day long.

4 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

The achievement wouldn't be tainted. 

But it would be hard not to be involved it. 

Having said that, would you prefer the next game that you are able to attend to be Vs Liverpool/Man Utd/Arsenal, or Barnsley/Millwall/Wigan/Rotherham...?

You’re right. The achievement wouldn’t be tainted - but the experience certainly would.

I honestly think I’d rather my next game was Rotherham if it meant the experience I’d waited my whole life for had been denied me. I’d rather wait.

Promotion 'behind closed doors' due to a world-shattering event outside of their control was good enough for Arsenal 101 years ago so I'd say it's good enough for us now. Get up there, get our slice of the premier league pie, come straight back down stronger and ready to go again and do it properly.

4 hours ago, mozo said:

I would be delighted to see City finish the season and would be well excited to see the lads via Robin's TV. 

Wells and Afobe up front? Woof!

A chance of making the play offs? Yes please!

Would I rather attend every game? Of course, but it is what it is.

Will Trev watch it with you ?

48 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

You’re right. The achievement wouldn’t be tainted - but the experience certainly would.

I honestly think I’d rather my next game was Rotherham if it meant the experience I’d waited my whole life for had been denied me. I’d rather wait.

I totally get what you mean, but having waited all your life, would you give up the chance, if it comes along, knowing that it could take beyond the rest of your life to achieve it..? 

3 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Over £100M better off to be fair.

I tell you one thing, IF it does restart, with Fam, Nahki and a fit Benik, we might just be the team to watch out for. 

Promotion with nobody there over possibly no promotion at all, the former all day long.

It's not even worth discussing really as I would have thought it was such an obvious thing, how would anybody be daft enough to vote for us not to go up, just because they weren't there .

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I totally get what you mean, but having waited all your life, would you give up the chance, if it comes along, knowing that it could take beyond the rest of your life to achieve it..? 

I think that’s the thing though - I’d say I’ve waited more for the experience than the achievement. I have lots of Swansea friends from my time at university there and I’ve always be hugely jealous of their play off final experience.

So, yes, I would take the chance on promotion never happening to preserve the possibility of experiencing that great moment.

6 minutes ago, pillred said:

It's not even worth discussing really as I would have thought it was such an obvious thing, how would anybody be daft enough to vote for us not to go up, just because they weren't there .

Remarkable as a football supporter that you are so quick to dismiss the notion of not actually being there as “just because they weren’t there”.

I always thought the adrenalin rush in those great moments was the reason we all loved this game in the first place.

If you can’t appreciate both sides of this debate, I’m not sure we’re the daft ones.

11 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Definitely ‘yes.’ It’s all about how much money we could make if we got promoted. Doesn’t matter who sees it, just as long as we don’t miss out on all that money.

Are you really boiling it all down to money? When you went wild for Korey’s winner was it because you were thinking about how much money we’d get by making the semi finals?

I find that incredibly sad.

Football will do recover from the present situation, thinking it will be at least another season before we get back to anywhere near a packed AG; does the op really think fans will be packing anywhere anytime soon. This virus has changed football and fans need for it probably for a very long time.

5 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Football will do recover from the present situation, thinking it will be at least another season before we get back to anywhere near a packed AG; does the op really think fans will be packing anywhere anytime soon. This virus has changed football and fans need for it probably for a very long time.

Eh?

Archived