IGNORED

Would you want City to be promoted behind closed doors?

ChippenhamRed

Would you want City to be promoted behind closed doors?  

401 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Remarkable as a football supporter that you are so quick to dismiss the notion of not actually being there as “just because they weren’t there”.

I always thought the adrenalin rush in those great moments was the reason we all loved this game in the first place.

If you can’t appreciate both sides of this debate, I’m not sure we’re the daft ones.

Worst case scenario CR, we go up behind closed doors and come straight back down. With the £100M in our back pocket, wouldn't a repeat promotion be more likely?

16 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Worst case scenario CR, we go up behind closed doors and come straight back down. With the £100M in our back pocket, wouldn't a repeat promotion be more likely?

It would indeed. Not a bad way of looking at it, though of course no guarantees we’d go back up - plenty haven’t! I just think going up a second time wouldn’t quite have the same magic that it would the first time - especially for those of us who’ve been waiting our whole lives to see City in the top division.

2 hours ago, 054123 said:

Definitely ‘yes.’ It’s all about how much money we could make if we got promoted. Doesn’t matter who sees it, just as long as we don’t miss out on all that money.

you've lost sight of what it's all about.  

Bollocks to money.  It's about glory, something that has been forgotten but will now come far more sharply into focus..

4 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Remarkable as a football supporter that you are so quick to dismiss the notion of not actually being there as “just because they weren’t there”.

I always thought the adrenalin rush in those great moments was the reason we all loved this game in the first place.

If you can’t appreciate both sides of this debate, I’m not sure we’re the daft ones.

Are you really saying that just because you might not be able to be there you would rather they didn't get promotion? and you call me daft, have a word with yourself ffs. 

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It would indeed. Not a bad way of looking at it, though of course no guarantees we’d go back up - plenty haven’t! I just think going up a second time wouldn’t quite have the same magic that it would the first time - especially for those of us who’ve been waiting our whole lives to see City in the top division.

Of course CR. Some of us were around last time but I totally get your sentiment.

32 minutes ago, pillred said:

Are you really saying that just because you might not be able to be there you would rather they didn't get promotion? and you call me daft, have a word with yourself ffs. 

Yes.

27% of people on the vote agree with me, and of those that don’t, you’re the only one who’s shown an inability to appreciate the alternative point of view.

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Yes.

27% of people on the vote agree with me, and of those that don’t, you’re the only one who’s shown an inability to appreciate the alternative point of view.

Well 27% of people must have a lot more time on this earth left than me, we have gained promotion to the top flight once in my entire life I'm 64 and you really expect me to agree that it would be better if they deferred it until you and the rest of the 27% could attend? well sorry but yes I don't really appreciate that rather daft point of view. I like you would much rather be there obviously but you don't seriously expect me to miss out on the joy promotion would bring me and all the other supporters in their 60s 70s and 80s.

6 minutes ago, pillred said:

Well 27% of people must have a lot more time on this earth left than me, we have gained promotion to the top flight once in my entire life I'm 64 and you really expect me to agree that it would be better if they deferred it until you and the rest of the 27% could attend? well sorry but yes I don't really appreciate that rather daft point of view. I like you would much rather be there obviously but you don't seriously expect me to miss out on the joy promotion would bring me and all the other supporters in their 60s 70s and 80s.

I guess for some of us the excitement of the journey matters as much as the thrill of the destination. Particularly those of us that haven’t been there before.

I think those of us that were around in '76 have probably voted en masse for 'yes' as we've seen it before, although not to the Premier league. I'll never forget the excitement of the Pompey game, as well as the first game at the mighty Arsenal, and I do understand the younger ones point of view. But, in hard nosed finances, it's an absolute 'no brainer' although the preference for actually being there is totally understandable.

Personally, as I've said before, I feel we would stand a much better chance of doing it again, if we spent a year in the money pit league and we would all, hopefully, be there to see it but I do get the opinions of those that haven't seen it happen before to our club.

11 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Yes.

Say coronavirus never happened hypothetically. You have some sort of family event or something that you must attend that is the same day as the play off final, would you not want City to win just because you can't be there?

29 minutes ago, hodge said:

Say coronavirus never happened hypothetically. You have some sort of family event or something that you must attend that is the same day as the play off final, would you not want City to win just because you can't be there?

I know you aren't asking me but I think CR is saying that the point of football is to watch it whilst taking in the high and lows.  On that basis, I agree that there's not much point City getting promoted if you can't watch it happen.  Obviously, you could then watch City in the Premiership but what if the lockdown continues?  Would you be happy to "see" City doing well whilst not watching them? Is there much point?

As to the family scenario, it is academic to me as I would murder them and go to the game. ?

27 minutes ago, Abingdon Red said:

I wouldn't mind promotion behind closed doors but it would be awful if we had to play that way in the premier league.  Even though the tv money would be very useful to help the club recover from the current situation. 

I should think we're in a much healthier position that most regardless AR. Some big clubs outside the Prem could well be struggling post pandemic. Derby, Brum and Wednesday spring immediately to mind. I suppose it's all down to how dependent clubs are on match day revenues and those that sail a tad too close to the wind must be feeling the pinch?

1 hour ago, Chivs said:

I know you aren't asking me but I think CR is saying that the point of football is to watch it whilst taking in the high and lows.  On that basis, I agree that there's not much point City getting promoted if you can't watch it happen.  Obviously, you could then watch City in the Premiership but what if the lockdown continues?  Would you be happy to "see" City doing well whilst not watching them? Is there much point?

As to the family scenario, it is academic to me as I would murder them and go to the game. ?

I was basing it off this line from CR 'I think that’s the thing though - I’d say I’ve waited more for the experience than the achievement', well in said scenario they'd only be getting the achievement not the experience coronavirus or not, no guarantees you could be at a play off final as hard as you may try/want to be there

21 hours ago, 054123 said:

Definitely ‘yes.’ It’s all about how much money we could make if we got promoted. Doesn’t matter who sees it, just as long as we don’t miss out on all that money.

Supporting a football club is 100% emotion, nothing to do with money for me. To be denied that moment with fans and players would be unthinkable.

6 hours ago, hodge said:

No, that’s very different, because that would be purely selfish. And I’d move hell and high water to watch it on the telly - which would still be an exciting experience, albeit inferior to being there, in a way that any match behind closed doors wouldn’t be.

Also you’re taking to someone who refused to get married during a World Cup, so it’s a scenario I would be looking to avoid at all costs!

6 hours ago, Natchfever said:

Totally selfish alternative point of view. 

We’re merely talking about a personal preference. If we were promoted behind closed doors, I’d still be delighted about it, and I’d be happy for all my fellow supporters. It’s just not how I’d want it to be and it would always be tinged with regret that we’d been denied that great experience.

17 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

We’re merely talking about a personal preference. If we were promoted behind closed doors, I’d still be delighted about it, and I’d be happy for all my fellow supporters. It’s just not how I’d want it to be and it would always be tinged with regret that we’d been denied that great experience.

Fair comment. 

On 30/04/2020 at 12:24, hodge said:

I get your point but I'm really, really struggling to think of an event that I'd attend ahead of a championship play-off final 

I’m with @ChippenhamRed on this but, unlike him, I was there last time in 1976 aged 9. The memory of that night we clinched promotion will live with me forever. I‘m so glad that I was there. I support City first and foremost for the experiences at the ground, not for TV entertainment or money in their bank. I watch them on TV when I can’t be there in person, but it isn’t the same. Of course City have had plenty of achievements over the years when I have not been present; none of them rank as highly in my memory as those when I was at the ground though. I also fear that even if this season does restart, next season will also be played behind closed doors. In addition I think coronavirus is going to make it very hard for any team winning the playoffs to be well prepared to compete in the Premier League. So the scenario that others have mentioned whereby you gain promotion, have one season in the PL, and are then are relegated isn’t that far fetched. So you might not be able to experience promotion or the Premier League.

19 hours ago, eardun said:

I’m with @ChippenhamRed on this but, unlike him, I was there last time in 1976 aged 9. The memory of that night we clinched promotion will live with me forever. I‘m so glad that I was there. I support City first and foremost for the experiences at the ground, not for TV entertainment or money in their bank. I watch them on TV when I can’t be there in person, but it isn’t the same. Of course City have had plenty of achievements over the years when I have not been present; none of them rank as highly in my memory as those when I was at the ground though. I also fear that even if this season does restart, next season will also be played behind closed doors. In addition I think coronavirus is going to make it very hard for any team winning the playoffs to be well prepared to compete in the Premier League. So the scenario that others have mentioned whereby you gain promotion, have one season in the PL, and are then are relegated isn’t that far fetched. So you might not be able to experience promotion or the Premier League.

I think that's the main thing that's bothering me, I just don't think we're ready and it will be a very strange and difficult transfer window. We could be relegated by Christmas and as we've seen from other clubs, one season up doesn't guarantee you'll be challenging in the following seasons. 

Places like Spurs Arsenal and West Ham I've been to their old grounds but would love to see City play on their new grounds. It would be heartbraking to miss out on that.

Anyone changed their mind after seeing live German football on TV behind closed doors?

It reinforced my views that it really would be difficult to watch us win a play-off final in this way. 

If it turned out to be our only promotion to the top flight in my lifetime, having missed the last one as I was too young and lived too far away, it would bother me to my grave 

On 28/04/2020 at 22:09, Rich said:

I've been thinking this for a while. It would be typical of the luck of BCFC to actually win promotion behind closed doors. No glory no limelight, no recognition, no gloating, no outpouring of joy. We'd have the comments such as, "you only won because others didn't take it seriously",  "It was a nothing competition", "you were lucky there was no atmosphere to influence the game", "there was no pressure on you", "you couldn't do it again". 

Well feckum, I don't give a toss, I'd like to earn some mega bucks for our club, see it invested wisely and have a successful club that my son and grandsons can support in the top flight and eat at the top table, when I'm long gone. 

Take it any way it comes as football, clubs fortunes can change so quick and you may not get another chance for years if at all 

2 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Take it any way it comes as football, clubs fortunes can change so quick and you may not get another chance for years if at all 

Do we want promotion to the top flight? as if we can afford to be fussy, some on here make me laugh they really do, oh I wouldn't want us to go up if it was behind closed doors, as John McEnroe once famously said you can't be serious!!

Archived