IGNORED

Would you want City to be promoted behind closed doors?

ChippenhamRed

Would you want City to be promoted behind closed doors?  

401 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 29/04/2020 at 19:28, Bar BS3 said:

I totally get what you mean, but having waited all your life, would you give up the chance, if it comes along, knowing that it could take beyond the rest of your life to achieve it..? 

My thoughts exactly as we all know there'are fine lines in football between success and failure and next season you could start badly  and the rut quickly sets in. Opportunities for most clubs come around few and far between and if it happens behind closed doors and it gives thousands of fans a chance to see world class players for at least a season it's a small sacrifice to make 

16 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

My thoughts exactly as we all know there'are fine lines in football between success and failure and next season you could start badly  and the rut quickly sets in. Opportunities for most clubs come around few and far between and if it happens behind closed doors and it gives thousands of fans a chance to see world class players for at least a season it's a small sacrifice to make 

It is a tricky one. Especially if games were to be behind closed doors and we were to miss the chance of all the trips to the big clubs and actually seeing these top players visiting Ashton Gate. 

It depends how long football is likely to be TV viewing only. 

17 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

It is a tricky one. Especially if games were to be behind closed doors and we were to miss the chance of all the trips to the big clubs and actually seeing these top players visiting Ashton Gate. 

It depends how long football is likely to be TV viewing only. 

Sorry I was basing it on things hopefully being back to normal next season whenever that is and playing a whole season behind closed doors is really unthinkable and hopefully won't happen 

1 hour ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Sorry I was basing it on things hopefully being back to normal next season whenever that is and playing a whole season behind closed doors is really unthinkable and hopefully won't happen 

It wont. if things are that bad we can't attend live sporting events for another year then we really are screwed.

1 hour ago, pillred said:

It wont. if things are that bad we can't attend live sporting events for another year then we really are screwed.

I agree and the only way I can see things changing is if the government get 30 million vaccines ready by the end of September and make it compulsory that everyone has one then maybe on proof you would be allow to purchase tickets for any event where social distancing isn't possible. I think we all know that's probably not going to happen for many reasons and if it did would take six months or more to achieve and with the virus seemingly not going to go away many clubs could go out of business soon.

who knows what will happen to lower league players out of contract after the 30th June as many will probably have to give up professional football 

16 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Take it any way it comes as football, clubs fortunes can change so quick and you may not get another chance for years if at all 

I would do, I think that's what I was implying in my last paragraph. Looking at your post with the start of mine shown, looks like you're advising me to accept something I'd already accepted and with gusto.

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

I would do, I think that's what I was implying in my last paragraph. Looking at your post with the start of mine shown, looks like you're advising me to accept something I'd already accepted and with gusto.

Not advising any individuals just saying from my perspective if I had the choice to watch my team next season in the premiership even though I didn't see  them in person clinch promotion I would accept it as I know how long you've had to wait for top flight football since 76/77 and the opportunity may or may not come around again in our life time hence my comment "take it any way it comes" and from your perspective it would be nice to see your grandchild watch City against the premierships best either live or on TV 

42 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Not advising any individuals just saying from my perspective if I had the choice to watch my team next season in the premiership even though I didn't see  them in person clinch promotion I would accept it as I know how long you've had to wait for top flight football since 76/77 and the opportunity may or may not come around again in our life time hence my comment "take it any way it comes" and from your perspective it would be nice to see your grandchild watch City against the premierships best either live or on TV 

Then we are in agreement, promotion at any cost, hopefully to reinvest and improve for more success.

Can I correct you on one small point, 76/77 was our first of four years in the top flight, 1980 being the last time. It wasn't our only year as your post makes it seem. We've been there nine years in total. Small time to some but, more than some could dream of. That's not a dig at your club by the way. 

9 minutes ago, Rich said:

Then we are in agreement, promotion at any cost, hopefully to reinvest and improve for more success.

Can I correct you on one small point, 76/77 was our first of four years in the top flight, 1980 being the last time. It wasn't our only year as your post makes it seem. We've been there nine years in total. Small time to some but, more than some could dream of. That's not a dig at your club by the way. 

Apologies Rich as a schoo kid I watched you guys play Leeds & Man Utd in 76/76 season as Ashton Gate and for some reason I thought you were only in the old first divison for one season and didn't realise you were there until 1980. I'm aware of the troubles of 1982 but It also slipped my memory that you then went into freefall down to the old division 4 in consecutive seasons which goes to show how things in football can change so quickly  

24 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Apologies Rich as a schoo kid I watched you guys play Leeds & Man Utd in 76/76 season as Ashton Gate and for some reason I thought you were only in the old first divison for one season and didn't realise you were there until 1980. I'm aware of the troubles of 1982 but It also slipped my memory that you then went into freefall down to the old division 4 in consecutive seasons which goes to show how things in football can change so quickly  

I certainly know how quickly things can change. One minute in November your champions, before you know it, May comes around and you're not even promoted. Sorry I couldn't resist that.?

As ive said before,  of course once every game starts and I'm watching on tv I'll want us to win, including a play off final.

But it wouldn't feel barely 20% of the feeling we'd have if we were there at a full Wembley. Plus this team is a long way off being good enough atm and I'm guessing it will be a difficult transfer window whenever it happens. 

We've had umpteen polls on LJ's, future this season, in which I've backed him, but now we'd all be happy for him to lead this team into our first season in the Prem? 

4 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

As ive said before,  of course once every game starts and I'm watching on tv I'll want us to win, including a play off final.

But it wouldn't feel barely 20% of the feeling we'd have if we were there at a full Wembley. Plus this team is a long way off being good enough atm and I'm guessing it will be a difficult transfer window whenever it happens. 

We've had umpteen polls on LJ's, future this season, in which I've backed him, but now we'd all be happy for him to lead this team into our first season in the Prem? 

If he got us promoted?? Too right, who on earth could criticise him then!

To answer the question and now realising that no one will be in the ground til well after Christmas then no. The fun of going up is to witness your team in the top flight playing against the best teams in the country. I don't want to witness that shown on TV from an empty stadium. We could come straight down and that will be that for another 40 odd years.

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

To answer the question and now realising that no one will be in the ground til well after Christmas then no. The fun of going up is to witness your team in the top flight playing against the best teams in the country. I don't want to witness that shown on TV from an empty stadium. We could come straight down and that will be that for another 40 odd years.

Where the hell did you get that Xmas quote from ?? The way it's going I'll be in my seat in the South Stand in September

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

I'd love to be sat there with you, but there will be no large gatherings allowed until a vaccine is found. The new season (if there is one) will have no fans in the stadium in September.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52790371

Section 2 para 4

And if a vaccine is never found? I'd take that with a pinch of salt, this government (along with several others) are making it up as they go along

On 25/05/2020 at 01:11, jrabrewer said:

And if a vaccine is never found? I'd take that with a pinch of salt, this government (along with several others) are making it up as they go along

I don't mean to come over as pedantic but, is there a manual which lays out a clear path that governments are supposed to follow when a pandemic strikes? Surely any plan, is just that, a plan, it then changes shape depending on the information available and any changes cause by unforeseen things. I'm in construction and, we all start out with plans, then they're changed as the work progresses, when materials aren't available, or the labour suddenly changes, when someone says they want something done differently and when conditions change. I can't see that there could ever be a plan for what to do in these unprecedented times.

The football authorities seem to be having difficulty forming a plan and reaching agreement to suggestions and they've had months to make suggestions and act. Just imagine if the Premier league and EFL had to keep the competitions running whilst finding equipment to keep the players and officials safe, while the paying public were forced to sit out the games in a lockout.

Archived