IGNORED

58 per cent want the season to be finished

Football before Peoples well being. sorry i think its a disgrace. i would love to see Liverpool come out and say finish this season now and get ready for the start of the new season. it wont happen. what will happen if a player catches covid 19 during a game. after all so many players spit. sorry for a rant but to many are dying. 

34 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

Football before Peoples well being. sorry i think its a disgrace. i would love to see Liverpool come out and say finish this season now and get ready for the start of the new season. it wont happen. what will happen if a player catches covid 19 during a game. after all so many players spit. sorry for a rant but to many are dying. 

Who's saying start football before it's safe to do so?

I can’t see the season restarting no matter what’s being said at the moment. All it needs is a few players/coaches testing positive in a couple of weeks and then all the timescales currently suggested will be out the window.

12 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I can’t see the season restarting no matter what’s being said at the moment. All it needs is a few players/coaches testing positive in a couple of weeks and then all the timescales currently suggested will be out the window.

Saw the other day that Paulo Dybala has tested positive 4 times since the pandemic started. Either he's caught it 4 different times or it's a stronger virus than believed. 

We must be getting near the point when they have to say enough.

Questions is what do do.

Playing behind closed doors is often suggested, but then as someone has already said on this thread, all you need is one person to get symptoms and the whole squad would be quarantined. Not a goer, imo.

Voiding the whole season seems very unfair so can see that we will just use the tables as they stand now. 

Thing about this would then be the playoffs. If it's not safe to finish the season behind closed doors then it's not safe to play playoffs.

Likely solution to me then would be to end the season with tables as they are now but with no playoffs.

Only two would go up from the Championship, meaning only two would go down ..... and so on down the leagues. Looking down the leagues there will be a few clubs that will complain, but overall this seems like the least unfair thing to do.

Be interested to know what others think... Not easy, whatever they do.

5 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

They're not sure if he has actually caught it 4 times. He's tested positive for 6 weeks apparently. 

Which in another way is just as bad because the initial thoughts were that it lasts for around 2 weeks. He's now tested postivite for a month and a half. 

He could well have only caught it twice and the timings of the tests show he had it then caught it again somehow. Unfortunately the tech isn't there yet to determine whether this is from the original virus or whether he's caught it times after. 

Of course we all know that football players are beyond cheating and Club's would never bend rules or take advantage of any given situation.

So if crucial season defining results are going against you- there is no chance that a player or relegation club would play the Covid 19 Trump card and get  games cancelled/postponed etc.

Continuing the season is a Charter for dishonesty and adds another layer of  danger to a dangerous health pandemic.

Imo- void the season in May and start planning for a new one. Yes- it's tough, yes it's unfair to any League leaders but I can think of at least 26000 reasons why it's not the end of the world for football .

If i was a betting man I’d put money on the premier league being cancelled and the points per game model being used for a final league table so that Liverpool are declared champions and future European places are decided, and then to prevent lawsuits from the likes of Villa and Bournemouth no relegation which would effectively end the efl season too

Having said that apparently the reason for being so determined to play is to avoid repaying tv money which has already been spent for games they’d be unable to broadcast 

27 minutes ago, Calculus said:

We must be getting near the point when they have to say enough.

Questions is what do do.

Playing behind closed doors is often suggested, but then as someone has already said on this thread, all you need is one person to get symptoms and the whole squad would be quarantined. Not a goer, imo.

Voiding the whole season seems very unfair so can see that we will just use the tables as they stand now. 

Thing about this would then be the playoffs. If it's not safe to finish the season behind closed doors then it's not safe to play playoffs.

Likely solution to me then would be to end the season with tables as they are now but with no playoffs.

Only two would go up from the Championship, meaning only two would go down ..... and so on down the leagues. Looking down the leagues there will be a few clubs that will complain, but overall this seems like the least unfair thing to do.

Be interested to know what others think... Not easy, whatever they do.

The problem with that is not every team have played the same teams. So if you miss out on a promotion place by a point but have played more of the top half than the team 1 point above you i wouldn’t be happy. Scrap next season and get this season done safely if possible? Thats hard because of contracts etc. I am glad i am not the one making the decision because there are going to be millions of £ lost through no fault of the club. Hundreds of thousands of unhappy hard done by fans. 

27 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

The problem with that is not every team have played the same teams. So if you miss out on a promotion place by a point but have played more of the top half than the team 1 point above you i wouldn’t be happy. Scrap next season and get this season done safely if possible? Thats hard because of contracts etc. I am glad i am not the one making the decision because there are going to be millions of £ lost through no fault of the club. Hundreds of thousands of unhappy hard done by fans. 

I know, but then there are problems with every solution. If the season is abandoned, who qualifies for the Champions League? Is Liverpool not winning the Prem fair? Seems fair that West Brom and Leeds go up - they've been consistently the best two sides in our league. Do Norwich and Barnsley deserve to stay up? Whatever happens there will be problems and it may even end up in the courts in some cases. 

14 minutes ago, Calculus said:

I know, but then there are problems with every solution. If the season is abandoned, who qualifies for the Champions League? Is Liverpool not winning the Prem fair? Seems fair that West Brom and Leeds go up - they've been consistently the best two sides in our league. Do Norwich and Barnsley deserve to stay up? Whatever happens there will be problems and it may even end up in the courts in some cases. 

Would be interesting to find out if legally whether the Premier League can refuse promotion from the championship, it would set a dangerous precedent though 

30 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Agree whatever happens people will be upset and feel hard done by. It will be difficult to get every league in every country to do the same. The top 2 of the chamionship is a relatively easy one to say 2 go up clearly. Oxford are only 2 points behind Rotherham for 2nd place in League one. That without going into who has played who etc. 

34 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

i hope this is not all about liverpool winning the premiership. if for example it was sheff utd at the top then would the likes of liverpool want the season to  be continued some how i doubt it. 

On the flop side if we had liverpools points gap on 2nd place in the Championship would you want it cancelled? 

1 hour ago, The Batman said:

Which in another way is just as bad because the initial thoughts were that it lasts for around 2 weeks. He's now tested postivite for a month and a half. 

He could well have only caught it twice and the timings of the tests show he had it then caught it again somehow. Unfortunately the tech isn't there yet to determine whether this is from the original virus or whether he's caught it times after. 

One swallow does not a summer make.

Dangerous to make any sweeping assumptions about how bad (or not bad) it is based off individual cases.

He might be extremely susceptible ... Or just very unlucky.

Or the most likely - dodgy testing!

19 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

One swallow does not a summer make.

Dangerous to make any sweeping assumptions about how bad (or not bad) it is based off individual cases.

He might be extremely susceptible ... Or just very unlucky.

Or the most likely - dodgy testing!

Very true, but it can make a Saturday night. (Really sorry, couldn't resist it).

2 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

i hope this is not all about liverpool winning the premiership. if for example it was sheff utd at the top then would the likes of liverpool want the season to  be continued some how i doubt it. 

My thoughts exactly.

Liverpool are top by miles but if you say its ok to declare them champions by points per game why is it not ok to relegate using the same logic.

WBA & Leeds are not that far ahead of the chasing pack and if you just do a points per game in the EFL you ignore form/teams played/teams to play.

6 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

My thoughts exactly.

Liverpool are top by miles but if you say its ok to declare them champions by points per game why is it not ok to relegate using the same logic.

WBA & Leeds are not that far ahead of the chasing pack and if you just do a points per game in the EFL you ignore form/teams played/teams to play.

In the case of Bournemouth it would mean being relegated by a fraction of goal difference, as there’s nothing in the rules about what happens if the season needs to be abandoned they’d have a strong legal case 

45 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

In the case of Bournemouth it would mean being relegated by a fraction of goal difference, as there’s nothing in the rules about what happens if the season needs to be abandoned they’d have a strong legal case 

I still think this talk of legal cases is b**locks. If a decision is made to cancel the season then it will be made on safety grounds based on sound scientific advice. Other than for bankruptcy or cessation in trading any club who challenges the decision for financial gain will not get a sympathetic reception. Who are they taking their case to? Bournemouth won't be going out of business if they're relegated. I'd be bloody annoyed if my taxpayers money was wasted on hearing such a case in the crown courts, when they have much more important cases to deal with. It may be tough to get relegated on fractions of goal difference but we did once get promoted by a difference of 0.116.

Archived