IGNORED

Well I never knew this person was a City fan....

phantom

• Admin

Kevin Friend has ruled out a Mike Dean-esque celebration should Bristol City make the play-offs.

Dean went viral online thanks to his wild celebrations when his beloved Tranmere Rovers beat Forest Green Rovers in the League Two play-off semi-final last season.

In a conversation with talkSPORT's Geoff Peters, Friend revealed that, as a Bristol City fan, he has seen some memorable moments, but would not go as far as Dean.

He said: "I probably wouldn't be jumping around so much as I'd probably do my hamstring in or something like that!

"I'd definitely get excited if Bristol City did well.

"I went to the cup game when we beat Manchester United and I got excited in regards to that.

"You do because you support your club, you love them and want them to do well.

"We know what football is, there's highs and lows as a supporter, and when those highs come along you want to embrace them."

Friend is based in Leicestershire and said that this means he cannot take charge of matches involving the Robins or local side Leicester City.

He said: "I can't referee Leicester because I live in Leicestershire and I can't do Bristol City as I'm a fan.

"We have to declare an interest before the start of the season, whether we've been a season ticket holder or a supporter of a club.

"Even our immediate family, if they're the supporter of a team we have to declare that as an interest so we can't do them.

"The only time I'd do Bristol City is pre-season behind closed doors."

Yet Friend admits it can be difficult to watch games as a fan.

He explained: "It's difficult to just sit and watch a game because a lot of the time you're watching what the referee does.

"I don't always agree with the decision they make, sometimes they'll give a decision and I'll think differently.

"That's normal, they're subjective calls, the referee on the field gives it and I might have a different opinion.

"The good thing is when we meet up at training the following week we tend to rib each other about these things.

"If I'm watching my games on TV, I'm having to do so behind the sofa."

3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

When he talks his accent sounds northern or east midlands. I wonder if it was a parent of his that got him into supporting BCFC. ? or some other reason

Interesting. He was born in Bristol, but sounds like he moved away quite early on.

From wiki:

Friend started refereeing at the age of 14 in his home county of Leicestershire.

In 2016, Friend was controversially prevented from officiating a Premier League match between Stoke City and title contenders Tottenham Hotspur, due to him being a supporter of fellow title challengers Leicester City.[6]

Definitely known to be City supporter though and has been spotted following City home and away when not reffing.

2 hours ago, UK0wnag3 said:

I feel like we’ve definitely had Kevin Friend as a ref or official before though...

I must be mistaken :dunno:

He has refereed us in the past in competitive games, but seemingly not since 2010.

https://www.worldfootball.net/referee_summary/kevin-friend/bristol-city/4/

It seems he only gets to referee us now in friendly games - he did the Palace game in preseason back in the summer. Maybe he requests a City game in preseason? 

2 hours ago, UK0wnag3 said:

I feel like we’ve definitely had Kevin Friend as a ref or official before though...

I must be mistaken :dunno:

We played Walsall in one of the two years we were in League One last, my mate spotted him in the City end - that game one of the Lino's (or even the ref) went off injured, I'm not even sure there was an announcement but I'm sure he came from the City end to be 4th official.

7 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

He has refereed us in the past in competitive games, but seemingly not since 2010.

https://www.worldfootball.net/referee_summary/kevin-friend/bristol-city/4/

It seems he only gets to referee us now in friendly games - he did the Palace game in preseason back in the summer. Maybe he requests a City game in preseason? 

More interesting in that list is one of the games is a severnside derby between us and Cardiff.

Imagine being the ref for that, when you have an allegiance to one side...

On 29/04/2020 at 22:46, phantom said:

Kevin Friend has ruled out a Mike Dean-esque celebration should Bristol City make the play-offs.

Dean went viral online thanks to his wild celebrations when his beloved Tranmere Rovers beat Forest Green Rovers in the League Two play-off semi-final last season.

In a conversation with talkSPORT's Geoff Peters, Friend revealed that, as a Bristol City fan, he has seen some memorable moments, but would not go as far as Dean.

He said: "I probably wouldn't be jumping around so much as I'd probably do my hamstring in or something like that!

"I'd definitely get excited if Bristol City did well.

"I went to the cup game when we beat Manchester United and I got excited in regards to that.

"You do because you support your club, you love them and want them to do well.

"We know what football is, there's highs and lows as a supporter, and when those highs come along you want to embrace them."

Friend is based in Leicestershire and said that this means he cannot take charge of matches involving the Robins or local side Leicester City.

He said: "I can't referee Leicester because I live in Leicestershire and I can't do Bristol City as I'm a fan.

"We have to declare an interest before the start of the season, whether we've been a season ticket holder or a supporter of a club.

"Even our immediate family, if they're the supporter of a team we have to declare that as an interest so we can't do them.

"The only time I'd do Bristol City is pre-season behind closed doors."

Yet Friend admits it can be difficult to watch games as a fan.

He explained: "It's difficult to just sit and watch a game because a lot of the time you're watching what the referee does.

"I don't always agree with the decision they make, sometimes they'll give a decision and I'll think differently.

"That's normal, they're subjective calls, the referee on the field gives it and I might have a different opinion.

"The good thing is when we meet up at training the following week we tend to rib each other about these things.

"If I'm watching my games on TV, I'm having to do so behind the sofa."

I thought FGR struggled last season? In fact I am sure they did.

Archived