IGNORED

1,000s of programmes to sort. Any tips?

sugarwray

Now I have some time in my hands ......

I have several boxes of old programmers in the attic, probably over 1,000. I would like to give them a proper sort and make sure they are well stored. Has anyone attempted such a project before? If so I would like advice on the following:

- How to sort and store

- How to create a filing system

Complexities are:

The earliest programme is from the 70s, 90 percent are City games. In more recent times there are as many away games as home games. There are also a number of specials, FA Cup finals, Souvenir editions and signed programmes. I am confident that there is only one Rochdale away 1982 signed by John Shaw out there. There are overseas programmers. Many still have match tickets inside.

They will go back in the attic due to storage space constraints so I have ruled out binders. At the moment they are in plastic boxes but there may be more efficient containers. 

For a filing system I have looked online but there is no resource. It would be nice to look up by team, ground, season etc...

Any ideas welcome.

I would create a database and log all the info for each program.  Alternatively a searchable spreadsheet may be sufficient and could be imported into a database later on.

I think air and watertight plastic boxes should keep them safe, though it may be worth popping some silica gel in each box.

I sold a big pile of programmes from the late 60s 70s and early 80s at a car boot sale many years ago as they were just gathering dust in the loft.  TBH, I rather wish I had kept them now.  I did keep a handful of special ones, though have no idea where they are.

Yes take the time to create a spreadsheet, or if you are old school a little book. Recent programmes (last 25 years) aren't worth much but you can get a decent price for the some of the older ones. Unusual ones can go for quite a price, I heard recently that a Southend Res v Gas Res programme from the 1950s went for £85. Tickets can fetch a decent price as well, if like me you keep them as well as programmes. I'm not interesting in selling mine but when I'm dead and gone I'm sure someone will make a few quid out of my collection.

My tip would be not to bother to book your dream holiday based on any monetary value.

I thought my England vs Hungary 1953 programme - a famous match - would be worth at least a few hundred. Nope, the price of a small round of drinks

The only thing of any value I have is the England vs West Germany WC Final programme (original). 

They are fascinating records cords of a Club’s/social history though. 

1 hour ago, sglosbcfc said:

Yes take the time to create a spreadsheet, or if you are old school a little book. Recent programmes (last 25 years) aren't worth much but you can get a decent price for the some of the older ones. Unusual ones can go for quite a price, I heard recently that a Southend Res v Gas Res programme from the 1950s went for £85. Tickets can fetch a decent price as well, if like me you keep them as well as programmes. I'm not interesting in selling mine but when I'm dead and gone I'm sure someone will make a few quid out of my collection.

£85? Blimey, that was mote than the total gate money on the day.  The question is though, what the hell were you doing at a Gas reserves game?  A first team game is enough to damage you for life, but the reserved? ?

Yes I did the same this week. 

Took the massive holdall full of programmes from the garage to the house. Tipped them out, 3 hours later I'd read a load that I'd forgotten about shoved them back in the holdall and put them back in the garage. 

It's not easy pal. 

12 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Just keep them dry in the loft and not in the garage.

If you are short of space,and have to use the garage wrap them in plastic bags.

Or put them in those plastic box's you get from D-I-Y shops and keep the lids on.

My garage is surprisingly dry and I'd never look at them if I put them in the loft, too difficult getting up and down but yes, good advice I'd be fed up if I found them all mouldy one day. 

On 30/04/2020 at 22:32, wendyredredrobin said:

£85? Blimey, that was mote than the total gate money on the day.  The question is though, what the hell were you doing at a Gas reserves game?  A first team game is enough to damage you for life, but the reserved? ?

Not me, ha, although I do have other clubs including Rovers in my programme collection, but 95% are City. In terms of my most valuable, I have Glasgow Rangers v Arsenal in a friendly from the late 40s that I think would be worth a fair bit. My grandad attended and gave me the programme decades later so I wouldn't sell.

Archived