IGNORED

How to determine Championship promotion places

sugarwray

25 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Well that’s the closest thing I’ve had to a satisfactory answer! But - genuine questions - why is it so hard to extend a contract, legally speaking, if there’s a will on both sides (player and club)?

there is no issue at all....but clubs are cutting costs.  Risk of player signing for 3 months and then finding he’s missed the chance of a longer deal by going out of contract and finding a new club.  Lots of Qs.

And if that can’t be done, could we not just accept that this season would have to be completed with what would effectively be next season’s squad?
yep, that’s a possibility too....but do you start to lose integrity of the league, when e.g. you’re Accrington Stanley and 15 of your 24 man squad go out of contract on 30.06....and you end up playing kids.

For me that would still be preferable to ripping up a near-complete season and invalidating all the matches played to date.

totally agree....null and void is a no-no for me.  Would rather go points per game if season can’t be completed.

Why are people trying to come up with alternative ideas to the obvious, simple 3 options. 

1- complete the season, whener its possible (best option) 

2- void the season and start again from scratch when possible (harsh on some, relief for others. 2nd best option) 

3- Finish the season as things stand and league placings are final. (not an option. Unfair and unjust. Imo) 

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

You can bet Mel Morris has already bought the name for Derby....only to find out Chansiri at Sheffield Wednesday did it afterwards but backdated it to 1235 B.C.

Crystal Palace would then claim they were the first club to do it and have only just realised

If they want to finish the season behind closed doors they have to have promotion and relagation. if they dont then what is to be gained in trying to get it finished. just as well finish the season now and give the premiership title to liverpool. At the end of the day this is what it is all about making sure they get enough points. i wish liverpool would come out and say stop the premiership now and try and get ready for next season. They wont do that in my opinion 

On 01/05/2020 at 13:03, Robin101 said:

I think you're dreaming if you think they'll squeeze 7th placed into some supercharged play-off scenario! 

For us, the war is over.

Funny you should say that... In League One the EFL have suggested "innovative solutions" might be needed, one of which is a supercharged play-off scenario including the team in 7th place...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52683643

On 01/05/2020 at 18:26, sugarwray said:

EFL post season proposal

In case League One and League Two are cancelled relegations and promotions in those divisions will be based on sporting merit. Relegation from the Championship can follow the same sporting merit determination.

With over 100 fixtures still to played in the Championship it may not be safe, smart or necessary to complete the league. Stoke City vs Birmingham City v Stoke for instance is not a fixture that needs to be played. 

There is significant TV money at stake and the promotion issue needs to be fairly determined. The format below will enable a manageable number of highly engaging matches with genuine tension in each game.

League table after 37 games

WBA                      71 points

Leeds                    70 points

Fulham                 64 points

Brentford            60 points

Nottingham F    60 points

Preston NE          56 points

Bristol City          55 points

Promotion places determined as follows:

Match Day One

Match 1               WBA v Leeds, winner promoted as Champions

Match 2               Brentford v Bristol City, losers remain in Championship

Match 3                Nottingham F v Preston NE. losers remain in Championship

Match Day Two

Match 4                Fulham vs losers Match 1, winners promoted

Match 5                Winners Match 2 vs Winners Match 3, losers remain in Championship

Match Day Three

Match 6                Losers Match 4 vs Winners Match 5, winners promoted

In case games are level after extra time match will be determined by penalties

Then you woke up after a deep sleep. 

Archived