IGNORED

Tenuous claims to fame

MrBibs

I reckon most of us have them. However tenuous I’m sure we all have a football claim to fame.

I found out from (blue) family cousins that I am related to a player who scored over a hundred goals for Rovers. A gentleman by the name of Vic Lambden, who I’d never heard of until I googled him. Strike partner of Geoff Bradford apparently. Wonder If I would have followed the other lot had I known that earlier in life. Thankfully I’ll never know.

So, surely many on here must have a tenuous football claim to fame. Even if it’s someone you went to school with. Would love to hear them. 

Played against Gary Megson when his father Don was Gas manager. I think it was an under 16's game and they were called Parkway. Anyway I made sure I kicked him.

Went out with John Atyeos neice when I was at school.

I have zero claims to fame other than very tenuous connections.

A kid I went to school with was friends with the family of Gary Mabbutt. My school friend knew him, I never met him.

When I was a kid Wayne Allison used to come to our street as he was seeing a lady that lived up the road. Nice guy but I doubt he was impressed with a group of 10 year olds chatting shit to him.

Other than that, I can’t think of anything.

I played in the same primary school team as Jane Rodgers, the younger sister of David Rodgers, went to Sunday School with Jo Durie (who, I think  we can add to our list of ‘famous’ City fans) and sat next to Robin Cousins in Biology in Secondary School.

While I’m on tennis, also played tennis with Mark Sagers (then Sky, now Talksport) playing in kit given to him and signed by Andre Agassi.

Basking in the glory of shared fame here!!! 

Nearly forgot. The pinnacle. Also had the entire City team sat on the garden wall of our house when their coach broke down one night on the way back from some away match. Have got a team picture with the entire squad having signed it somewhere in the loft.

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Played against Julian Dicks as a kid, lost 11-0, he scored 8.

I remember playing against “Junior” (Raphael Burke, ex class of 92) as a kid. He was frighteningly good. Also went to school with Trevor Jacobs (ex City and sag) boys. 

Played against louis Carey and Scott Murray earlier this year, Carey absolutely ran the show, he didn't even try. Carey complimented me on my game at full time which was nice, he was only being polite though because I'm s##t

I worked for about a year with Bobby Moore's father in law in the early 90s in the City.  He was about seventy and was working part time as a consultant.

He had been a RAF pilot in the war and coincidentally was also called Moore, Peter Moore.

His daughter was Stephanie Parlane-Moore who was Bobby's second wife.

Well you wanted tenuous!

37 minutes ago, Packman said:

Played against louis Carey and Scott Murray earlier this year, Carey absolutely ran the show, he didn't even try. Carey complimented me on my game at full time which was nice, he was only being polite though because I'm s##t

You forgot just how good professional footballers actually are because you only usually see them against other pros and they cancel each other out.

I saw Jan Molby in a match comprising amateurs and locals when he was mid forties and fairly rotund.  He barely moved but didn't need to; as you say he ran the game.

It reminds you how good they are. 

14 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

You forgot just how good professional footballers actually are because you only usually see them against other pros and they cancel each other out.

I saw Jan Molby in a match comprising amateurs and locals when he was mid forties and fairly rotund.  He barely moved but didn't need to; as you say he ran the game.

It reminds you how good they are. 

That’s how he always played! COYR 

I once played left back next to Alan Ball in a charity game on Hayling Island when he was Portsmouth manager. Apart from his high pitched shouting what I most recall is some old bloke sat in a chair on the touchline giving me constant grief. Mind you he was right I was shite.

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Played against Julian Dicks as a kid, lost 11-0, he scored 8.

Played against him as a 10 year old in the junior cup final , he played for Novers lane they won 6-0 .He scored all 6 , 2 direct from corners !                              Played with him at Merrywood a couple of years later, which was a much better experience. 

6 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I'm Jesus.

As valid as any other claim.

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I can prove it.

Er Indoors was watching Ru Paul's Drag Race, I walked in to the living room and she said, 'I can watch this later, do you want to put Lovejoy on?'

Miracles can happen.

Good enough for me.

Archived