IGNORED

Tenuous claims to fame

MrBibs

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I scored a penalty against Rob Green when he was at Norwich .

I’ve slept with Alanis Morrisette ...

well we shared a dorm in Patagonia. 

I sold wine to John Galley.

I met Brian Clough in his local offy . He called me ‘ young man ‘ !

One of those is a lie.

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

I remember playing against “Junior” (Raphael Burke, ex class of 92) as a kid. He was frighteningly good. Also went to school with Trevor Jacobs (ex City and sag) boys. 

I played against him on his way down.....he was skilful but not a good footballer if that makes sense.

56 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I'm Jesus.

Stop bragging, son. ?

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I scored a penalty against Rob Green when he was at Norwich .

I’ve slept with Alanis Morrisette ...

well we shared a dorm in Patagonia. 

I sold wine to John Galley.

I met Brian Clough in his local offy . He called me ‘ young man ‘ !

Hence her anger for all men!

Mentioned this before but Paul Cheesley played a few evening games for us in the Somerset senior League early / mid 80's. I crossed the ball from the left for him to score one of his trademark headers.

Keith Brown (played a couple of times for the Gas late 70's) was in the same Primary School team as me....now that really is tenuous.

2 hours ago, RedRock said:

I played in the same primary school team as Jane Rodgers, the younger sister of David Rodgers, went to Sunday School with Jo Durie (who, I think  we can add to our list of ‘famous’ City fans) and sat next to Robin Cousins in Biology in Secondary School.

The brothers of both Jo Durie and Robin Cousins were friends of my brother at school so I met both of them.

In fact I used to go on week long sporting themed holidays away from Bristol in the school hols. and Robin Cousins turned up at the age of 12/13 even though, apart from his ice skating he wasn't very sporty.

He was already known for his ice skating so was ribbed throughout 'watch your ankles Robin!'

Kevin Mabbutt (and his younger brother) joined my primary school at the start of my final year but he didn't displace me from my position as the resident school team striker!

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

You forgot just how good professional footballers actually are because you only usually see them against other pros and they cancel each other out.

I saw Jan Molby in a match comprising amateurs and locals when he was mid forties and fairly rotund.  He barely moved but didn't need to; as you say he ran the game.

It reminds you how good they are. 

Very true, carey was so good. Played in a defensive midfield role, everything went through him. Have to say even the Rovers fans in our team said how nice Carey and Scotty were, it was great for me to play against them. Colin Cramb also played but I have to say he was a bit of a t##t.

12 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

My God Brother-in-law  (God mother's son-in-law) was a high scorer for the sags in the late 50's, early 60's  by the name of Ian Hamilton .

Tenuous enough for ya ? :dunno: 

God Brother- in- law? Never heard that term before! :laugh:

I played against Julian Dicks as a kid, I worked with Ricky Chandler’s wife for many years and I played one season alongside Peter Aitken in centre midfield for a local Sunday team ...

... oh, and Howard Pritchard once told me to f@ck off, I fouled him but I got the free kick! And Trevor Tainton presented me with the first trophy I ever won as a kid - it was in the upstairs function room at The Pilgrim Pub in Brislington many moons ago!

...oh, and I once lived in the same road as Gerry Sweeney ...

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The brothers of both Jo Durie and Robin Cousins were friends of my brother at school so I met both of them.

In fact I used to go on week long sporting themed holidays away from Bristol in the school hols. and Robin Cousins turned up at the age of 12/13 even though, apart from his ice skating he wasn't very sporty.

He was already known for his ice skating so was ribbed throughout 'watch your ankles Robin!'

Kevin Mabbutt (and his younger brother) joined my primary school at the start of my final year but he didn't displace me from my position as the resident school team striker!

Was that primary school?  I was at primary school with the Cousins brothers too, and Nick was my best friend.

11 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Was that primary school?  I was at primary school with the Cousins brothers too, and Nick was my best friend.

Not Primary, my brother was in Nick Cousins & Nige Durie's year in secondary school (BGS)

The Cousins' family lived on Shirehampton Road iirc, so I guess you're talking about Sea Mills Primary?

Nick used to come round our house often later on too, he was a lot more sporty than Robin!

I passed a football to Marcus Stewart at Wembley.  My son was selected to play on the pitch in a pre-match competition before our play-off game with Huddersfield, and I was allowed to stand pitchside and watch.  Before it finished, the players came out to warm up, and a ball being passed between Stewart and Gareth Taylor went astray and landed at my feet, I did a nice little side-footed pass to Stewie, and was rewarded with "Cheers luv". 

Had Nigel Mansell do that thing where somebody taps you on the shoulder from behind, then moves to the other side, so they're not there when you look around. 

3 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

One of those is a lie.

None of those is a ‘ lie ‘ unless I am missing some sort of joke .

:dunno:

A very , very tenuous one , I went to the same college in Watford as George Michael, he always kept it as a careless whisper though. 

I once made tea for Larry Grayson.

As a 14 year old kid I was walking back to the car with my late Grandad after our play off defeat to Walsall and a certain John Atyeo was parked behind us. Distraught as I was at the time he said "Don't worry son, your time will come". Nice touch from the great man. My Grandad was starstruck as Big John was his all time hero.

Lad I knew in my year scored his only goal for the Gas in the GFA Cup at Ashton Gate sometime in the mid to late 80s. Good volley though.

Clive Middlemass's boy Doug moved to our school in the second year when TC and CM were still at Rovers. He had a better time after they moved across to City.

Alan Williams's son/Gary Williams's brother was in my year.

My great great aunt is Ray Cashley's gran (according to my old dear anyway)

I was on htv news for a split second as I was walking through Ashton Gate with a mate in the school holidays when Bob Houghton was clearing out his office/packing up his car when he was sacked by city.

5 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

You forgot just how good professional footballers actually are because you only usually see them against other pros and they cancel each other out.

I saw Jan Molby in a match comprising amateurs and locals when he was mid forties and fairly rotund.  He barely moved but didn't need to; as you say he ran the game.

It reminds you how good they are. 

Jan Molby sounds a lot like me when playing football.  Fairly rotund and barely moved.

2 minutes ago, SuperDziek said:

Jan Molby sounds a lot like me when playing football.  Fairly rotund and barely moved.

One team I regularly played at six a side back in the 90s had a hugely fat guy in defence; it was like having a wall there because it was a long way around him!

Decent bloke though, lost a fiver to me because he didn't know Norman Hunter played for Bristol City. Or, when he took the bet, that I supported them.

Archived